“Charming and hospitable”

The Grange Guesthouse & Motel
Ranked #2 of 140 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I arrived off the Intercity coach in the rain and Des immediately made me feel welcome, showing me a nearby place to eat and even offering to rustle up some soup if I didn't want to go out.
It's a charming old style house built in the 1870s and the room was cosy and warm with an immaculate ensuite. Des gave me a map and was on hand to answer all questions. Breakfast was great too. I stayed three nights and would recommend this gem to everyone.

Room Tip: Mine was on the first floor in the main house
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed August 23, 2012

This place was lovely. Nice and cosy, which was important for August in Christchurch. Really great service, felt luxurious and was greater by smell of fresh lillies in the hall way. Rooms very comfortable with hot powerful shower. It is located on the edge of the red zone which is unfortunate, however, things redevelopment is ongoing so hopefully this shouldn't be an issue in near future. Service was great and breakfast fantastic!! I was sad we only needed one night there and would certainly stay again and recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The owner couple is so kind that I truly felt like home. Although I arrived early, my room was ready, which helped me easily start working immediately even after a long flight. The city centre is still closed, but I would like to visit Christchurch again and stay at this motel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed one night at the Grange as we arrived on a late flight from Sydney and Jo was very welcoming at 1am! The room was nice and cosy and we had a wonderful sleep.
Breakfast was great also.
The Grange is just situated on the outskirts of where the earthquake hit, so it was very lucky to survive!
Would stay there again and would definitely reccommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
TheGrangeGuesthouse, Manager at The Grange Guesthouse & Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear Claire,

Thank you for posting this great review on tripadvisor.

I was only too glad to greet you upon arrival, no matter the time! I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the room and slept well during your stay.

We hope that you will come back again and visit, you know where to find us!

Warm Regards,

Jo

Reviewed August 16, 2012

My trip to NZ flew in and out of Christchurch - with 7 nights around Queenstown/Milford Sound. I found The Grange on-line and I'm so glad I did - awesome hospitality - great location (a very easy walk through town) - beautiful and very comfy rooms. Was so happy with my first night I booked my last night straight away !! WILL BE BACK !!

Room Tip: Only stayed in Room Number 1 at the front and it was great!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I can't thank the Grange enough for being so helpfull and friendly. I had some quite out of the ordinary requests (international shipping, model casting) and the team were only too happy to help in anyway possible. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the breakfast and home made scones were amazing. I would not heitate to recommend The Grange to anyone traveling to Christchurch.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Made to feel very welcome with some true chch hospitality. Jo is amazing and made my stay very pleasurable. Great location. Great rooms. Highly recommend. Even has a little bit of chch history to it. Wouldnt stay anywhere else when in town.

• Stayed: July 2012