“Home Away From Home!”
Review of Country Glen Lodge

Country Glen Lodge
Ranked #50 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Owners Heather & Ian Swale are just marvelous! Wonderfully down-to-earth people, and its this country charm that is reflected in their property! Our room was equipped with everything you'd expect, plus the little extras like salt & peppers shakers, coffee plunger (and complimentary ground coffee), real milk in a bottle (not the uht stuff), sugar and instant coffee in containers...yes containers - not satchets! And everything we needed to cook ourselves a home-made meal. Heather was fantastic in accommodating our needs - a 5am appointment with a hot air balloon - she offered to store our luggage until we returned later that morning. Oh and I nearly forgot to mention: his and her white towelling robes in the bedrrom too!! Nice touch! I'm sending my parents over to NZ next year and I'll definitely be booking them into this "home away from home"! D.Shaw Australia

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 25, 2011

I was looking for somewhere to stay at about 8:30pm and the reception here was open later than most and the price was reseasonable, so it was an easy option. Room was clean and free wireless internet was impressive and exactly what I needed. They have just completed some minor refurbishment and there was plenty of parking.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Qualitycontroller
Reviewed February 20, 2011

We stayed here on the first and last nights of our 2 week trip to the South Island of New Zealand. Ian and Heather our hosts, were always very helpful and accommodating with our frequent enquiries about things to do and places to eat. We recommend trying Speights Ale House further down Bealey Ave as a great place for dinner even with younger children. One of the best meals we had in New Zealand which was on our last night. Both the rooms we occupied were very clean and well appointed. One small issue would be some traffic noise from the adjoining streets depending on which unit you occupy but we would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We had booked into Tuscana Lodge for the next night, but on arriving in Christchurch a day ahead of schedule the Tuscana were fully booked so they helpfully arranged for us to stay across the road at The Country Glen Lodge. We were pleased with the accommodation it was a spacious one bed apartment, for $145, $10 more than the studio at Tuscana.

The kitchen & bathroom facilities were good.

The owner Ian was friendly & helpful, and even let me use his old laptop to access the internet. They are currently undergoing some disruption following the earthquake, and the large old building in the centre of the complex is closed as unsafe. This means they have relocated their office (? and their home?) into one of the motel units which is a still a little chaotic.

We were a little disturbed first thing in the morning by the traffic as our bedroom was close to the road, and in the daytime, as the previous reviewer says, there was an annoying loud ringing whenever the phone rang, however I didn't ever hear this at night and assumed the loudspeaker was turned off then.

In the end we also stayed the second night at Country Glen, to help out Tuscana who had a guest who wanted to extend their stay, though Colin from Tuscana still kindly drove us to the airport as arranged early the next morning.

I think if we returned to Christchurch we would either try the Tuscana or maybe try and stay somewhere nearer to the city centre as it was quite a long walk, however I'm sure that would involve more dollars!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2010

This was a nice place to stay. At first...

Ian, the owner was pleasant and easy to talk to. He does tend to keep going if you dont tell him politely to stop. Sometimes you just want to get going or if you have had a long day, you just want to get in your room.

First stay here was great, no problems. Clean, spacious and at a good price.
Second stay was sleep less. I absolutely hated the phone ringing out side. They have a massive speaker hooked up to the phone system and as soon as they got a call, the phone would ring and blast the whole place with a ringing sound. Very unpleasant.

Not sure if I will come back because of that.

I loved the bathrooms though. Clean, and showers were like a massive cubical. Soap dispensers were great. Shower heads could do with a bit more flexibility. They had limited angles you could point them at.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 8, 2010

This was my 5th time staying at the Country Glen Lodge.You couldnt ask for a better location. The rooms are very comfortable and the staff are friendly and full of great advice. Next time we will be using the conference facilities for are markrting. The Country Glen offer the package, great rooms,great location and great value. Thank you once again.I'll be back!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Had reserved 2 nights at Tuscana, but that owner met us at airport and informed us of no room, so had booked us across the road instead at Country Glen. We got a 1-bedroomed unit that was clean, spacious and well equipped, albeit dated. Friendly enough chap on front desk but having flown half way around the world, I don't really want to start playing games of putting pins on a map where I'm from or listening for over 10mins about detailed locations/directions of restaurants/town etc, when I've made it quite clear I just want to go to bed! This motel is not handy for town as it takes over 25mins to walk into Cathedral Square. It is on a very busy road and not set back as other reviews stipulate. I wouldn't stay here again because of the noise and location.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family