“Not Good Value For Money”

The Old Countryhouse
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at The Old Countryhouse on two occasions, either side of a trip around the top of the South Island.

As I was only there a night on each occasion, I decided to go for a double room with an ensuite. I stayed in the same room on both occasions, located in House II. Whilst the room was very clean, it was small and sparsely furnished, with only a double bed and two small bedside tables. Apart from a row of hooks, there was nowhere to hang anything.

I paid $125 per night, which I felt was high given the above. Obviously since the February 2011 earthquake, accommodation in Christchurch is a lot scarcer as so much was destroyed, and perhaps the room rate reflects this. Even so. I still felt that for the accommodation on offer, the rate charged was high.

The hostel itself is well equipped, and I have no complaints in respect of the other facilities. The free wifi was a nice touch.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

I am sad to say that our one night stay here was blighted by antisocial behaviour from some fellow guests, who stayed up until somewhere between 1.30 and 2am talking loudly and playing music in one of the communal areas - not sure where but we could hear them from our room. We grew pretty frustrated as we had been up very early that day for our flight to Christchurch and faced a long drive to Queenstown in the morning. It is not the hostel's fault that they have antisocial guests, but it is their responsibility to deal with it - and they didn't. Reception closes at 8pm and then there seemed to be no-one around.
On the positive side, this hostel has some character, set on a nice plot in a residential street in Christchurch, and the girl at the front desk was helpful in sorting out one or two things. Our en suite double was a good size. Location is not especially good but the much of the centre of Christchurch is off limits after the earthquakes and it's quite a spread-out city anyway, so I'm not sure many other accommodation choices would offer a better location.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is not one of the cheapest hostels, expected more: c'mon good customer service isn't hard!
Ended up paying for an extra night that I couldn't use due to misunderstandings.

You'll find better hostels cheaper and closer to the city.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
TheOldCountryhouse, Manager at The Old Countryhouse, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2016

Hi there,

We are sorry you did not have a good time with us, we have a high expectation of our staff manner, and we are dissapointed to hear this was not the case for your stay.

We hope your time in Christchurch was still a memorable one.

Kind Regards

The Old Countryhouse team

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed here for more than a month, never felt liberated and warm hearted before... The environment made me feels like home... The sauna and hot pool is a great place to hang out and get some tan during summer time! Met many different travellers from various country.. Staff are friendly and very informative, they had a bbq with free beers and nibbles during Xmas..! And a cute dog named max ! Perfect stay for my stop in Christchurch!

If you wanna experience Christchurch, this is where you should start....

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 25, 2012

If you are looking for a cute and cozy place to stay, this is it! I would like to say that I loved this hostel!! Having stayed at many hostels after travelling all around NZ, I would rank this hostel at the top of my list.

Minus some slobs that don't pick up after themselves, the hostel was clean. If I had a problem, I went straight to the staff, and they were more than happy to help. The communal areas are always kept clean and fresh towels are laid out twice a day! They will have BBQs for the guests every once in a while, and the spa/sauna is such good quality. All of the furniture is handmade by the owner - very sturdy and the beds are comfortable - one of that cheap, metal crap that you feel is about to collapse when someone is climbing onto the top! The staff are knowledgeable about Chch, but you will need to be open minded about what Chch has to offer. This town is a great place to relax in and just enjoy the ride and do some different activities than the usual.

All in all I give this hostel a 4.5 (although not possible on here), because the only thing that is going against it, is being on the east side of the red zone. With that being said, it would be wise to keep in mind that there are not many other hostels that are much closer to the CBD, because of the earthquakes completely destroying the city center. The good news is that the red zone changes constantly. It has gotten so much smaller since May, and with Gloucester street now open (the same street the hostel is located on), it's easy to get to other parts of the city. I highly suggest you walk around the city at least once, because that's the best way to see all of the damage in the red zone for free! Don't like walking for 20-30 minutes? Ask the staff for a bus map or how to get to different areas from where you are. It's so easy, and will cost you next to nothing compared to other NZ bus systems - they would be more than happy to help!

I hope that your experience was as good as mine, because to find this little hostel was such a relief! :)

Oh! There is not a literal swimming pool, but there is one in the same area, practically across the street. If a spa/sauna is not your thing, there is something very close by! Cheers!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I've spent almost 3,5 months in the Old Country House while I was working in Christchurch. Ridiculously clean and comfortable hostel with affable staff!
They have a spa and sauna, a grocery and Subway right across the street and a bus stop outside the front door,
You get what u pay for! Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Paid $90 for a double - the most expensive I've paid so far for a backpackers.

Pros:
Clean and spacious room.
Clean kitchen and bathroom
3 houses with slightly different function e.g one had tv lounge, the other kitchen
Suana and hot pool (small)

I must say what I was unhappy about was not so much the hostel but the people staying in the hostel. They were really noisy and inconsiderate. I had to go out and tell them to lower their volume which they didn't bother to. They didn bother to clean up the mess too. ( I probably met the same group of people as the previous reviewer)

However, I felt that the hostel could do more e.g by putting up notices to remind hostelites to lower down their volume between certain time. (which many hostels do)

Do not go for house 3, room 23 - everytime a person goes to the toilet u can hear the flush and even when that person is rolling toilet paper. The wall is that thin!

If you are looking for a party - yes. If you are looking for a good night sleep - no.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank luffygomomono

Hi there,

We are sorry you did not enjoy your time with us, and encountered some inconsiderate guests during your stay with us.

We hope this did not taint your experience of Christchurch city.

Kind Regards