“Great arrival to NZ!”

Chester Street Backpackers
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Arrived in Christchurch at 2AM and Sandy gave me great instructions on how to get in. She also left clear notes all the way to the room! What a great welcome to New Zealand!!! Heated blankets were a plus, awesome kitchen and reading/lounge area. Quiet, cozy and very close to city. Thanks Sandy for all your help!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Tracy C

Reviewed June 10, 2012

After travelling travelling around the world I have stayed in lots of hostels and this is by far the worst one. Not because of the place itself but because of a couple of fire breathing Eastern European females in there mid 30's who run the place.

We booked a private double room in the hostel. When we arrived we were ushered down the street into what looked like a rented house which was to be occupied by strangers. As an easy going person I didn't have a problem however what I didn't agree with was that our room HAD NO LOCK. As many travellers will appreciate when you have your life (laptop, kindle, passports, phone etc) in your backback you want it to be secure. Uncomfortable with our lack of security I expressed my concern in an extremely polite manor to one very impolite and rude female member of staff. She had nothin but a smerk on her face and basically said 'you have a private room deal with it'.

I wasn't happy with this situation because in my eyes if your items cannot be secured in your room it shouldn't be advertised as a private room but a dorm without a locker. When I explained this to her she went to find the more senior member of staff. Without knowing the story she came charging over like a bull in a china shop and her first words were 'whats your problem?' She was extremely aggressive in her approach and clearly has no inter personal skills.
This is THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE i have ever experienced at the hands of a hostel and this place is an absolute shame on New Zealand hospitality.

After one night wiith our items being unsecured with strangers we moved into the hostel itself where we were practically allocated the garden shed! Despite this being a somewhat result we were still met by sarcastic smerks and mutters throughout our whole stay which made us feel very uncomfortable!

I would advise everyone to stay away from this place because you feel like your invading these womens privacy! Heaven forbid should you disturb them from their knitting.

Other reasons to avoid this hostel is its poor location, It looks ok in relation to google but since the earthquake and the red zone the city has practically relocated. The area of the city you want to be in is towards the west of the red zone (Riccarton Street). They also don't take plastic so make sure you take cash.

MY ADVICE - STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris P
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Room , chill area, dining , surrounding, toilet= clean. Room with electric blanket and heater. Nice play to stay just 10-15m walk to temporary bus exchange. city centre. parking available. staff was friendly. value for money. jus t like ur home.

Room Tip: chooose near to dining & wash room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My friends and I stayed here for 2 nights in March after flying in from overseas. It was a clean place, but quite rundown and the beds were very uncomfortable. My partner and I had a double room and I had booked a double room for my friend too since we were flying in from overseas and wanted a good rest before our road trip. My friend ended up in a room with two bunk beds and a hole in the floor covered by carpet. It was a good location though and the backyard was cute.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2012

good location, cosy hostel, friendly staff, must try!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This is the second backpackers I have stayed at in Christchurch. Its not very big, only 16 beds and the "dorm" is only 6 beds. An average kitchen, nice comfy lounge/library. Showers are a little small. Back patio is chill and relaxing. Herb garden for your use, fresh herbs, yeah! Its only a few blocks from the red zone... also only 2 blocks from Pomeroy's (see next review) Chester St East is a quiet side street even though its close to downtown. No WiFi but $2 for 30 min on the computer they have in the lounge. Rumor has it they will put in WiFi soon and do an unlimited WiFi program this winter... if that happens I'll take it from 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 stars!

Room Tip: 2 or 4 bed rooms are great for only a couple dollars more. Free WiFi at Peterborough library about 1...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed here only one night as the place was fully booked but I really liked the place. The hostel is old and from place to place a little a bit worn down and our room (twin) smelled a bit damp but all in all the atmosphere was really nice and (the biggest positive side for me) the kitchen was like one you probably have at your home. There was a house cat (if you're allergic be aware!) and that made the whole place feel even more like a home away for home. The guests were really friendly and easy to talk to (like in all small places we have been to) and at least for me this was one the hostels that you just want to visit again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple