“What a starter - WOW!”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“What a starter - WOW!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We visited Pomeroys for the beer but decided on a meal as well for lunch. Once we found our way by the side entrance we hit the bar and boy what a range of real beers. We then asked if we could have food and were told just ask when we are ready and we would be shown a table. We had a drink and were shown to a table for 2 and looked at the menu. I decided on the Pork Crackling as a starter and my wife the fondue. We also ordered the beer battered fish of the day and handcut chips with pea puree as the main. Thye starter came after not too long a wait and I was not expecting the mound of thin cut crackling on the plate with an apple puree in a small side dish. My wifes fondue also came in a bowl with a large amount of fondue with what appeared a small amount of toasted bread. I was in heaven eith my crackling (just worruied about the sound of me loudly eating the cracking crackling and my wifes fondue was rich and plentiful and amazingly enough the bread was sufficient. hen the mains came - again plentiful and tasty - great light beer batter and not the usual fish which was really tasty. We finished , my wife took home one of her 2 batterd fish home with her kindly wrapped in a foil parcel) and there was no way we could face a pudding as well.
Our verdict - definitely a place to visit again and take friends

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank David R

Thames, New Zealand
“Good on Pomeroy's”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We bowled into Pomeroy's on a busy Saturday night, no booking for a meal and were told there would be at least an hour and a half wait, but if we were happy to have bar snacks - chips, nachos etc, they were able to do them much quicker. Great advice as we were hungry. And there was only a short wait for those. Staff were friendly and efficient. Liked it so much we went back Sunday night with friends for the proper meals, which were well worth going back for. Well done Pomeroy's

Visited June 2013
“Quality meal”
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

10 of us had dinner at Pomeroys on Sunday night , great food top quality , they have the most tap bear of any bar in the South Island - the pub is great but the restaurant is fantastic , very good quality food, I dine out a lot and I would rate the restaurant top of the line, good wine list , it's so more than a pub meal, I find its more about a dinning experience .
Most nights there is live music and a great crowed .

Visited June 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
“The home of Canterbury craft beers”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

More than 20 local craft beers on tap (frequently changing). Great place if you like tasting interesting brews. Can get pretty crowded most evenings.

Visited May 2013
“welcoming”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Have stayed at Poms on four separate occasions now. The food and wines at the Pub are wonderful, the welcome warm and friendly. Love the complimentary glass of excellent wine that comes with the b and b room. The b and b is now my official second home! Thanks Steve....always a top experience.

• Visited May 2013