“Ok”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Christchurch
Vagabond Backpackers
Perth
“Ok”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

It was ok. We had a private room with shared facilities. They put us in a separate building with one other room, sharing the bathroom and kitchen. It was quite private. Everything was a bit run down, but not badly. The shower didn't drain very well, but I don't think that was entirely the fault of the backpackers.

Christchurch is a city still recovering from a devastating earthquake. There is still a lot of things not working perfectly (like drainage).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FoodbLubber

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed February 22, 2014

First off, the owner is a really nice guy, who surely tries his best running this hostel. Stayed here in July 2013. The majority of rooms were booked by workers who "rebuild/clean up" the inner city of christchurch. Not really a problem, but that is why all beds were booked and we were put in the "problem room", as named by the owner. The problem was...the room was way too humid, and it smelled really mouldly (did not see the mold, as the room looked like it was recently painted - the owner tries to fight it apparently). Fortunately, we stayed there for just one night.
The kitchen was a bit dirty, but was ok. So were the toilets. The enormous collection of video cassettes was amusing (as they were all recorded somewhen and labeled with a thick black pen).
The condition of our room clearly destroyed our stay in christchurch. Mould is really a no go.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Christchurch hotels

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2014

When I arrived at Vagabond, I found out that they had forgotten to book me in (although I had emailed them multiple times confirming my booking) so for my first night I was put in the staff sleeping room on a mattress on the floor.. I slept fine and there was no problems but it wasn't a great first impression. The second night I got a free upgrade (only because there was no other room for me) and was put out in the flat out the back. It was a little creepy walking through an old garage full of stuff to get upstairs to my room.

I found the bathrooms were the worst in all the hostels I stayed at in NZ - I would definitely wear flip flops (shoes) in the shower and try to touch as little as possible.
I found the owner to be a little bit creepy - I'm sure he's harmless but I didn't really trust him.

Oh and also, I missed my bus on my last morning and found the staff very unhelpful and uncaring when I asked her to help me find alternate transport to my next destination.

Wouldn't stay here again if I returned to Christchurch

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Graeme W, Owner at Vagabond Backpackers, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for taking time out to review us - Sorry your stay was not happy . Sorry I messed up your booking - we always try & put it right - it does not happen too often - but it does occur - I have always made sure we get someone a bed - even if it means booking them into a motel & paying the difference + a taxi. As to your other concerns - being a safe clean hostel is important to us , Donna my partner can now spend more time at the Hostel as our son spends longer at Kindergarten & will soon be going to school. I have 4 women staff members at the hostel - so not sure who was unhelpful - but I will pass your concern on .
As for me -I am harmless - I've had the hostel for 13 years - I have never asked a guest out on a date ( even when I was single ) - Henny who has worked with Vagabond for 8 years - told me about your review - she knows I'm very strict about a safe environment - We have had guests removed for making inappropriate comments

Sorry once again - we need to try harder
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Graeme Wills, the owner of Vagabond, is a really nice guy who is valiantly providing accommodation for travellers and workers alike in a city that is far from recovered from the devastating earthquakes that wrecked much of Christchurch three years ago. The house next door has been demolished. Others are condemned. A seven story apartment block on the corner is among the hundreds of homes, apartments, hostels, shops, churches and businesses that have either been demolished or out of bounds because of the damage. A 300, modern backpackers close by is among Christchurch's now locked and deserted accommodation facilities.
Therefore I appreciated being able to stay is an affordable hostel right in the center of the ruined city. Under the circumstances Graeme and his staff are doing their best to fill a need in difficult circumstances. I can see why Angelafq might have been disappointed as the young workmen who have no where else to stay mingle with us travellers who are just passing through. We found them entertaining and sociable over the weekend when they filled the backyard with their chatter. They were back at work Monday morning and we missed their lively presence.
Graeme has provided a vast collection of videos and DVDs; computers; book swap, and on the wall, a framed history of this 100 year old house, which is miraculously still standing amid the rubble of less stable structures. The kitchen is a bit small for the number of guests but the fresh bread and jam were welcome. I can see how some would be less than happy with the unisex toilets and showers that are used by the occupants of a full house but these are difficult times for Christchurch.
I was very happy with my private, upstairs room and, yes, I was glad that I did not need to share one of the back yard huts with the workers. However the back yard has been made very pleasant with a pretty garden as a place to socialise.
If Christchurch were not in such a state of ruined buildings and disrepair Vagabond would be better able to cater again more exclusively for travellers. Given the state of the city I think we were lucky to find refuge there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed there on sep 18th they put us on a unit flat that we had to share with three guys that where really messy, the kitchen was dirty, the bathroom was dirty, and the kitchen in the main house was also dirty and untidy. The staff was nice.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ipoh
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stay at private (which is same price with share room) and it's very cozy and warm during winter! Not to mention delicious bread every morning.
Great selection of DVDs, nice common area with lots of funny stuffs to play around (is the wig still there?)
After all it was a good experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed in this place after making a reservation in advance($26 for a share room with 4 beds), arriving after a very late flight from overseas.
The girl from the reception was lovely, very friendly and luckily she waited for us after hours from our late flight, she showed us around the facilities.
That night I had a very nice hot shower, use the clean kitchen area and then had a warm cosy sleep. The next day the check out was very good, the men was very friendly too. He let me live bags in the storage and use the telephone for free.
Really nice place, try to book a head because is not many backpackers available in Christchurch.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple