“Sudima stay but do not eat there” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport

Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport
Ranked #20 of 148 Hotels in Christchurch
wellington
“Sudima stay but do not eat there”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

the first experience with the Sudima was calling the hotel for the free van this took 10 minuets to arrive at the airport not bad until you get back and find out the hotel is right across the street .

The rooms were of a good size and included a desk ,small table three chairs, a dresser and in room coffee. They were well kept and clean with access to an out door area from all rooms. The staff was friendly and helpful.

This all seemed very nice until I went to the restaurant to eat . The food was over priced , over cooked and tasteless. I had a pork chop that was almost to dry to eat, the veg had no flavor at all and the mash tasted of sugar. The garlic bread was the best part of the meal

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

From the time of booking online till the time i checked out it was all so easy & simple. Customer Service is at an absolute high here WELL DONE STAFF. I arrived before midnight so got the courtesy shuttle which was quick, i didnt even get to finish my cigarette hahahha. I stayed in a premium bureau room which was beautifully presented, spotless & had everything i needed....even the toiletries are nice BONUS! my booking included full buffet style breakfast which had a huge variety of options inc cereals, fresh fruit, pasteries, yoghurt, pancakes, waffles, baked beans, eggs, bacon, sausages & my favourite mushrooms. 4 different juices & coffee machine! I was given a complimentary paper to read while i enjoyed brekky. I will mention that i didnt have the best of sleep as I could hear people in the corridor from about 7am & there was no window to let in fresh air :( I didnt use the internet in my room but had the option too which was nice. Overall it was a nice overnight stay here. Will definitely visit again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

We stayed at the Sudima, next to the airport, as our flight was leaving early next morning. The 24hr shuttle bus is great and we were able to check in with no fuss and in not time at all. The meal in the restaurant was excellent, however as the hotel also caters for functions, it was very busy, so there was a delay in being served. We didn't mind, but you do start to wonder if you had been forgotten.

The room was comfortable, however I had the single bed. The mattress felt like it was going to fall off the base and I had to get up a couple of times to put it back. There was no noise from the airport, however I could hear the elderly couple next door quite clearly. They bickered most of the night and I had to fight the urge to bang on the wall. We were also near the car park which had an entrance to the hotel next to our room. All in all, the noise was pretty constant. I would still stay here if I went back to Christchurch and needed a room near the airport. I'd just remember to bring ear plugs !

• Stayed August 2010
Christchurch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

We stayed one night at the Sudima, in order to comfortably catch our early 5.20am flight to Niue the next day. We are locals and the long expensive crack-of-dawn taxi ride to the airport is best avoided. Little did we know that our one night stay would be so traumatic! As we left our room at 4.30am we heard the people upstairs jumping on the floor. Then we heard a huge jet fly over. Except that it was NEITHER of those things, it was a huge 7.1 magnitude earthquake! My husband was already in the doorway. I threw myself on the floor between the bed and the wall and we rode it out - all 35 seconds of it. In the end I was in tears; for our own safety and that of our family, but also because I knew our long awaited trip to Niue was over.
The hotel bucked like a bronco but it withstood the full force! The good thing about a hotel is that there are no nick-nacks and most things are bolted down so nothing flew around our room (except us!). The people across the hall said they saw white caps on the pool as the water sloshed out...
As we left past the dining room, we saw broken dishes littering the floor and the huge carved wooded 'chef' had toppled over. We walked over the road to the airport - which was in emergency evacuation mode - and eventually got on with our lives. The aftershocks continue...
More on our stay: We were there on a stay and park deal - brilliant value as we could park for up to 30 days! Check in was slow, but not unpleasant. We changed Premier rooms with no problem because I wanted a bath. The nicer rooms have a courtyard view and access to the courtyard which would be nice in summer. We ate a lovely meal in the restaurant - good hearty food, nice wine list, good service. The only bad thing was some old guy talking loudly on a cellphone! Not the hotels fault, but I feel they should have asked him to lower his voice. The room was nicely appointed. The hotel is incredibly convenient to the airport - you can walk 5 minutes across the road with your wheelie bag to the terminal!
I recommend it for stopovers and early flights and I thank the hotel architects for their solid, quake-proof design and fit-out! It was terrifying, but it could have been worse.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tipsfromatraveller
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

As airport hotels go, this was pretty good. The rooms were comfortable and the staff were very nice. Our room looked onto the swimming pool area which was pretty nice to look at - in fact, once in the courtyard/pool area, you'd never have guessed you were right by an airport. I would stay again.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonTealady
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2010

Sudima is walking distance to the airport. Nice friendly staff, big rooms, great food. 10-15min ride to city. Great location if you are there for a quick trip- we were there overnight this time. Also good if you are travelling onwards to the rest of south island. Car rental is at the airport. Free shuttle is a great bonus.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank kash01
mclm, General Manager at Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
Thank you for your review. It is always good to hear from our guests and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcome you back soon.
Fitchburg, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2010

Located about 15 minutes out of the city center, this was a nice place to stay before catching our flight to Australia. It’s literally right across the street from the airport. In fact, the night we stayed here we took our rental car to the drop off place at the airport and walked back to the hotel (less than a 10 minute walk). If you are also interested in visiting the New Zealand Antarctic display, it's also about a 5 minute walk from this hotel.

The staff here was very nice. The rooms were comfortable, standard to what you would expect from a hotel at this price range. Room was warm, bed was comfy. Room also has a refrigerator and a TV. The hotel has a free parking, pay internet, and coin operated laundry facilities -- $2 NZ to wash and $2 NZ to dry.

Check out is at 10AM, but since our flight was in the afternoon they let us stay until 11:30 so we had time to do a couple loads of laundry before we left. They also offer an “on demand” free shuttle service to the airport, which was nice not to have to carry our bags even though it is so close.

It’s a little more expensive than the rate we paid to stay at the other Sudima in New Zealand, but given the fact that you are right across from the airport you are paying for location. There’s not much else out here, though, so I would recommend eating or picking something up before you settle out here for the night.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple