“Close to airport but..”

Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport
Ranked #21 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Now this hotel is getting a badly needed refurb but my review is for now and not what may be in the future.
Reception efficient, bus driver and service great. Location to airport great and I suspect this would be the main/only reason most people use this hotel, simply an overnighter before early flight or late arrival.
Maccas is a 5 min walk away which is good, but current roadworks send you on a bit of an extra trek.
Now the room.. Too dear for what it is, and definitely charging because of the airport location. Old, people smoking somewhere which drifted into the room, a heater which was difficult to turn completely off on a warm night, no a/c, the most archaic tv ever..why not put flat screens in? They can go into the new rooms and would help these sad rooms a tad in the meantime.
Bathroom old, toilet in weird place but hot water and pressure was good. Bit smelly with oldness.
Orange bedspreads..yuk, pillows lumpy sad little things, saggy bed.
Restaurant for dinner was very busy, main meals very nice but no service after for sweets or coffee, simply forgotten. Our amusement was the couple who sent the steak back 4 times to try and get it to somewhere more than mooing..poor souls gave up in the end, as each time the steak came back cut from 2 initial nice looking fillets to basically cubes..
So would I stay here again? Not until the total refurb has been done, but somehow I suspect the price will skyrocket, as it's dear enough now for such a basic offering.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport

Reviewed March 18, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here on our first day arriving to NZ from the US. I have to say even after a 14 hour flight this place didn't look appealing. When we got to our room it was on the far wing near the back parking lot. It looked old as we were traveling through the hallways, then as we entered the room it was pretty awful. The room was dark the with minimal lighting, the bed was super uncomfortable, and the bathroom was something out of the 70s. The pool had a large chain femme going around it with tall weeds growing around it. Really the hotel in all looked like it should have been condemned. We stayed a second night after traveling the country and they put us in the"newer" portion of the hotel. It's not an upgraded tv if there's not a flat screen. Still pretty crappy overall

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Lets get started on a good footing... I have stayed here several times before and its always been acceptable but this stay has changed my mind.

For the first time I stayed in the older part of the hotel. When I saw the first room it was hot and stuff but the worse thing was the room itself. I instantly asked to move rooms and all I was offered was similar standard room.

The second room was similar. The furnishings were tired and room could have doen with remodelling. It just looked like it was from the 1970s. The matteress on the bed was so old it was saging even before I lay on it, it was just way to soft, probabiy just worn out.

There was no aircon so i had to open the windows which doesnt do much for sound proofing close to an airport.

The consequence of all this = 2 hours sleep (=$90 per hour).

When I check out the staff asked If I had a good stay and when I said no and explained I got the impression that it wasn't the first time they has heard it.

The worst things was the cost $180 for a room that should have cost of that at most. Considering the hotel is a prefered supplier to my compnay I would have thought they would have made more of effort!

Room Tip: If you have to stay, insist on aroom in the new section.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We chose this hotel for a short stop-over in Christchurch as it had a swimming pool. When we arrived it had the classic Spain circa 1970s swimming pool half full, derelict and fenced off. It was such a shame as the other aspects we quite good!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank kglulgh
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Whilst the public areas were smart, our room was rather tired looking. It was of a reasonable size but lacked air-conditioning and a room safe. Internal sound-proofing was poor or our neighbours were very loud. I should point out, in fairness, that a refurbishment is imminent, however that does not excuse understaffing. Service was good when it was there but, on two occasions, there was no service at the bar because the barman had to help elsewhere.
Location is good if you are using the airport and you are very close to the Antarctic Experience which provides a good couple of hours distraction if you have time to spare before your flight.

Room Tip: If it's warm, get hold of a fan from reception.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I gave this a very good rating on the strength of their restaurant. A busy night, only a couple of staff for the whole dining room but they worked fantastically. Plenty of mains but the apple strudel dessert ran out pretty quickly. However it was replentished smartly.
Room nothing special. Obviously designed for one night stays before flying out. Can't comment about bed quality as I was leaving early and could not sleep soundly anyway. Staff efficient and friendly.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family