“Good for a overnight stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport

Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport
Ranked #21 of 148 Hotels in Christchurch
Australia
“Good for a overnight stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed for 2 seperate nights in this hotel, one on the night we fly in and the night before we fly out,
one night was on the first floor, the was clean enough but dated and a bit smelly, the bathroom though was new and very clean, they had plenty of tea and Coffee
The towels were clean and fresh
The second night was on the second floor, there are no lifts but they had someone available to carry your bags, the rooms were a bit nicer and fresher, Good enough for a short stay.
There is a restaurant and bar on the first floor it was busy,
There are vending machines
It is only a 5 min walk across the road from the airport so very convenient, they do have a shuttle bus which is always available at any time and very prompt,
The check in was fast and easy,

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WarrenBarnes, General Manager at Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent stay with us. Our location is as you point out very handy for transiting airline passengers. Our facilities and tariffs are in keeping with our current Qualmark NZ 3 star rating. The hotel is about to undergo a substantial redevelopment and refurbishment to a 4 star level. This project will be staged to minimise disruption to guests.
Kind Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

What more do you need? The staff were friendly and helpful, the beds soft and comfortable and the pillows (even for one with a sensitive neck like me) were great. Dinner was delicious and the prices were reasonable. Just meters away from the airport, making for an easy walk, or if the morning is cold (as can happen in Christchurch in Winter) just hop on the complimentary shuttle bus. Too easy.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WarrenBarnes, General Manager at Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for sharing you very positive comments with us.We appreciate the feedback and recognition of our hardworking team's endeavours.
Kind Regards,
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

When we were driving up to this hotel I was worried. It looked dated and like it was going to be noisy as it was so close to the airport. I was pleasantly surprised. Rowan who checked us in was helpful and found us an interconnecting room for the kids and us rather than just two rooms close to each other. We spent a little time in the bar then really had no choice but to eat at the hotel restaurant. Jade, our waitress, was lovely and helpful. We had a couple of issues during the meal but the food was nice. The shuttle bus is great for getting to the airport at 4am.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WarrenBarnes, General Manager at Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments. Our somewhat dated look is going to get a substantial makeover as part of a staged redevelopment of the hotel commencing shortly. I am pleased you enjoyed the service from Rowan and Jade and the convenience of the airport shuttle.
We look forward to welcoming you again when you next visit Christchurch.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Was very happy with room - did the trick just fine, ordered a breakfast for room service delivery and was very happy with the professional staff who bought it up to my room and greeted me. Amazing how far a good morning and a I hope you have a good day, go that time of morning.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am pleased you enjoyed the convenience of our location, your room and breakfast and the service from our friendly team.
We look forward to welcoming you again when you next visit Christchurch.
Greymouth, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Not a lot has changed since the last time. We got Premium room and really only premium was qwe got a free bottle of water. No free internet, could not get AC to turn off (so noisy fan all night).
Now they doing this park n fly rate they charging $280 per night to leave your car at the hotel. We went away for 2 nights and instead used Craddocks - $30 per night and undercover as against Sudima up to $120 to park outside, no security (admitedly for up to 28 nights) but too expensive if just wanting to do it for one or two nights.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you again for your feedback. You are correct in so far as nothing much has changed since you last stayed with us in January but it is about to. Commencing in a few weeks time is a substantial redevelopment of the hotel which will be staged to minimise any disruption to our valued guests. Please accept my apologies for the air conditioning issue that you had. A phone call to reception would have meant our duty manager would have been able to resolve this for you. As you point out our Park & Fly package does allow car parking for up to 28 days which we feel is a very reasonable fee combined with our room rate compared with other car parking providers however for just 2 or 3 nights Craddocks is the answer. Unfortunately because of the high occupancies we are unable to offer extended car parking without a Park & Fly package. If you are away for more than 3 days our package becomes great value.
Regards,
Zeeland, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

This hotel is located right next door to the airport which makes the shuttle service quick and easy. It was a clean room and sufficient for an overnight before an early morning flight. The 24 hour shuttle was helpful. There is an overpriced restaurant in the hotel and a McDonald's nearby but not much else for restaurant choices.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

As another reviewer has mentioned the only laudable thing about this hotel is its proximity to the airport . I had to stay here after a late international flight and missing my onward connection. I wish I had made more of an effort to go to one of the other motel /hotels just a small distance away rather than be trapped into the proximity of the Sudima.

At $160 it is not cheap and as someone who travels up to 300 days a year , I expect the internet to be a standard inclusion. Here it is $10 and I consider a nice piece of price gouging. I explained I thought this was a bit much but my protests fell on deaf airs and I was told it was detailed on the websirte - which is all very well if you book through a website which I couldn't. It is not so much the price as the principle here and the Sudima would do well to look at standard world practices. I recently stayed in a $30 guesthouse in Kabul which offered inclusive Wifi and ditto in Bangkok from whence I came.

On top of that the rooms are adequate but no more and very sparsely furnished ( or perhaps they put me in a particularly minimum security type one for having the temerity to complain about the internet charge. The TV set was small and old fashioned with minimum of channels available - I assume another cost cutter for the hotel. There is a $3.50 tray charge to have a meal delivered to your room - in silent protest I walked back to the airport instead and had a sandwich there - surely a first to actually go to an airport for food.

I would never go back to this pretentious hotel until they revise their policies and upgrade the rooms to reflect the price . If it weren't for its proximity to the airport , I am sure they would not survive in todays competitive accommodation world.

I should say I am not overly fussy ,perhaps a bit testy after a long trip butt well travelled and in this day and age I expect and as a customer demand better. Toodle ooh Sudima - have no fears I shall darken your doors again , nor anyone else in my company and by the way you can keep your guest unfriendly parking sign displayed prominently at the entrance as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business