“Average”
Review of Christchurch YMCA

Christchurch YMCA
Reviewed March 22, 2013

For the price the room was adequate but nothing special. The staff were not very helpful and in fact just short of rude. We were directed to a restaurant that was way out of our price range although it should have been apparent we were on a shoestring budget which is why we were staying at a hostel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Christchurch YMCA

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The place is not very good. I do not think I could stay over more than that. It was mostly clean, the staff was alright, and it was decently located. The beds were TOO uncomfortable and the top bunk bed was TOO close to the roof- I hit myself a few times.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed here 1 night and moved on! i cant fault the location, its very central and easy walking distance to Hagley Park and whats left of central Christchurch...which is truely shocking.The hostel is purpose built, with average sized rooms which are very sparten to say the least, the beds were lumpy, but had clean linen. The room had grubby cups, but no tea/ coffee or milk, hot water was available in a boiler in the main corridor. The hostel was busy when we booked and we had a standard room, the single glased windows prooved very inadequate for noise reduction and the handles were broken so it could'nt be closed properly. We shared a bathroom with a number of other rooms, which resulted in waiting for a shower and to use the toilet.....which was disgusting. The corridors at night were very busy and noisey so needless to say little sleep was had. It does have a gym which i understand was good value, and there is an in house cafe open daily, which was a tad expensive, and there is wifi which is another extra. They do have a left luggage facility and can arrange shuttles to the airport. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here three nights while in Christchurch, two nights in a row and then a few days later before leaving the country. It is close to the CBD, however, the CBD is still devastated from the earthquake. There are 4 restaurants within walking distance, including one in the building, all of which are on the pricer side. It is just across from the Botanical Gardens so that is nice, but it is an extremely loud hotel. I believe this is a combination of thin walls (I could hear my neighbor in the room next to me snoring) as well as inconsiderate guests. Although the guests that stayed there while I was there ranged from gap year kiddies to retired seniors, the demographic seemed to veer towards the younger side. As a result, I did not get much sleep while I stayed there. Also, the staff is really not friendly and could careless about attempting to help you. I had asked for information on a particular restaurant and rather than calling the restaurant to see if they were open, I was informed that the receptionist "didn't know if they were open." Is it too difficult to dial a local number? Also, the first night I arrived one of the duvet covers was wet and it did not appear that it had been changed. Although this is the cheapest option in CHC, if I had to do it over again, I would have stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We found the Y ideally located to central Christchurch's attractions. The devastated CBD was an emotional backdrop to an interesting stopover. There is a shortage of accommodation, restaurants, and access to many areas is prohibited, but still worth the effort. Above all the staff were excellent, friendly, efficient, and extremely helpful. Their attitude and effort made our stay enjoyable. Our double room with amenities was on the top floor overlooking the park and was excellent, clean and light.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great location in the center of Christchurch near the parks and the botanical garden. We booked a standard room for 2 night (80NZ$) . The room was acceptable considering the budget price even if the shared bathroom facilities were a little bit dirty , but we had a nice view over the park. This accommodation can be noisy in the night when people come late…

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I talked to many people who had the same response. Virgin airlines had lost my luggage and I wanted to use the phone to call the airline in the morning. The response was "no way", it is a business phone and not for personal calls. I even asked the manager to call for me then as I only had the shirt and shorts I was wearing and she said "no, it is a business line and we can't have it tied up for personal reasons." A major *itch if I ever met one, AVOID this place as the staff don't care, it is musty and dirty as well. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo