“Economical, well located”
Review of Christchurch YMCA

Christchurch YMCA
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We found the Y ideally located to central Christchurch's attractions. The devastated CBD was an emotional backdrop to an interesting stopover. There is a shortage of accommodation, restaurants, and access to many areas is prohibited, but still worth the effort. Above all the staff were excellent, friendly, efficient, and extremely helpful. Their attitude and effort made our stay enjoyable. Our double room with amenities was on the top floor overlooking the park and was excellent, clean and light.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great location in the center of Christchurch near the parks and the botanical garden. We booked a standard room for 2 night (80NZ$) . The room was acceptable considering the budget price even if the shared bathroom facilities were a little bit dirty , but we had a nice view over the park. This accommodation can be noisy in the night when people come late…

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I talked to many people who had the same response. Virgin airlines had lost my luggage and I wanted to use the phone to call the airline in the morning. The response was "no way", it is a business phone and not for personal calls. I even asked the manager to call for me then as I only had the shirt and shorts I was wearing and she said "no, it is a business line and we can't have it tied up for personal reasons." A major *itch if I ever met one, AVOID this place as the staff don't care, it is musty and dirty as well. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I booked a single room back in October 2012 through to February 2013 as I am an adult student from Auckland. The rate and room size are excellent and value for money in comparison to other organisations that I have resided with for the past 3 years such as YWCA, Auckland, City Lodge, Auckland(owned by YMCA), YMCA, Auckland and currently YMCA, Christchurch.

I have now decided to extend my stay at the YMCA for the following reasons and you may also view this on Christchurch YMCA's website.

Community Organisation making a difference with your patronage

Support us with your booking and support a community based charitable trust, which, while providing you with a great place to stay, relax and work, is meanwhile providing a range of other programmes and services aimed at building strong people, strong families and strong communities.
We provide accommodation - not just to generate some revenue for our other programmes and services - but also to provide safe and healthy student accommodation for many young people and for some, a long-term home.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed here as we needed a triple share as we were traveling with our 15 year old nephew. Good, clean and basic accommodation. Close to the centre of Christchurch. Free parking is a bonus and it's opposite the Botanic Gardens and very close to the Museum. The climbing wall is excellent to keep teens occupied and to burn some energy!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I booked a standard room for 1 night. The room was acceptable considering the budget price and we had a nice view over the park. The shared bathroom facilities however were a disappointment as basics like a showerhead were broken. This accommodation is good for a one night stop but I personally wouldn't book it for a multinight stay in Christchurch.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The YMCA was reopened in late 2012 after being given the all clear after the earthquake.
Situated in a great position for the museum and gardens and parks. The YMCA itself is very comfortable with great showers and a eating area which serves some great food. A fairly large free car park attached which is great as parking is a real pain and expensive nearby. Most of the centre of town is still undergoing major clearance due to buildings suffering from the earthquake 2 years ago. If you hire a car don't use Europcar as I did. I'm still awaiting refund of unauthorised deductions from my credit card....Initially over 700 $ !They just don't want to pay me....so be careful ! I advise you to call and reserve as this hotel can get full in the spring and summer.

Room Tip: Book by phone or via another location before travelling to ensure you get a room.