“Where are all the animals?”

Orana Wildlife Park
Ranked #15 of 249 things to do in Christchurch
More attraction details
Owner description: Set in 80 hectares within 15 minutes’ drive of Christchurch Airport, Orana Wildlife Park is New Zealand’s only open range zoo. We get you up close and personal with the animals. Imagine hand feeding a majestic giraffe; seeing New Zealand's only gorillas; eye balling the magnificent white rhino; meeting New Zealand’s national icon, the kiwi, or travelling through the Lion Reserve! Over 400 animals representing more than 70 species are displayed at the Park. Regular animal feed presentations occur daily and are accompanied by a presentation from a wildlife guide. Visitors can enjoy the antics of tigers, cheetah, Tasmanian devils, monkeys, meerkats and more. Two large walk-through aviaries enable you to see some of New Zealand’s unique native birds and Orana is home to a wide range of native reptiles. Visitors can pet domestic animals in the Farmyard. Orana is internationally renowned for its involvement in zoo-based breeding programmes for endangered exotic and native species. When you visit, you are supporting our conservation work. It’s a full day of fun for everyone at Orana Wildlife Park!
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Half of the park is a waste of time you cannot see the animals. ostritch, wild dogs, bison etc.
the farm yard feeding ? Lol there is onr scrawny pig and a couple of sheep. Kiwi encounter with two kiwi! Far too dark. willow bank beats orana hands down for farm yard and kiwi and otters too.
No notice on website that tigers were ill or at the park. poor sign posts too. not worth such a high entry fee. Nice volunteers but park looks very run down.

1  Thank gombawonding

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I took my teenage son along to the zoo, I didn't have an expectation to begin with other than wanting to see a zoo packed full of animals I was impressed to say the least. Cut a long story short I wouldn't have missed it for the world! Got to go again! After 2 hours we were making it around the zoo and only 3/4 through. The feed times are the best to view I will experience the lion feed time at close quarters next time looked thrilling.. 10/10 p.s. my son has been to other zoos throughout nz he tells me that Orana Park was the better experience!

Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful place to take the family. I have been going there since i was a youngster and now taking my own children. Will always go when visiting Christchurch.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Great family day out, loved feeding the lions (paid extra but well worth it) and giraffes! We had lunch in the little cafe, the food was fresh and tasty. Lots of walking so wear comfortable shoes!!

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

If local, we definitely recommend a yearly pass in means of getting value for money. It is a tiring big day for my young children, but they love it!!!!! ( with a pass, u don't feel guilty if u don't see the whole park, you can come back another time) . Lions, tigers and giraffes! So much to see in a nice spacious environment. We often bring a picnic lunch. My boys love being able to get up close with the giraffes and feed them, same with farm animals.