Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM

from $17.20
from $34.50
from $34.50
2,120 results
All reviews paua house new zealand penny farthing air nz antarctic exhibit natural history discovery room great exhibits free entry botanical gardens rainy day early settlers nz history couple of hours on display worth a visit all ages
Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

The museum is very well organised and interesting. It is great and didactic both for adults and children. The temporary exhibitions we saw were beautiful!

Reviewed 4 days ago

The layout is confusing, and the maps did not help greatly. Note to New Zealanders - all the maps refer to the entry floor as Level 1, not Ground Floor (the term used around New Zealand). This is no doubt helpful for overseas visitors, less so for locals.

Reviewed 4 days ago

I used to take my under ten kids here regularly on a wet day. The Discovery section is highly interactive and my kids always had a great experience. As a local, I don't go so often but the displays are interesting and would appeal to most visitors, including families as well as those interested in the colonisation history. There are some wonderful old costumes for fashion afficionados.

Reviewed 5 days ago

I visited this museum because of my interest in Antarctica and I was so moved and amazed by their Antarctic exhibit that my camera battery ran out of power from all the photos I took. . I was amazed that they had so many artefacts from the early expeditions in the Heroic Age of Antarctic exploration. They had objects belonging to Scott, Amundsen, Shackleton and Mawson as well as more modern explorers like Fuchs and Hilary.

There were plenty of other exhibits as well and I spent around 3 hours there and ran out of time so I will be going back with a second battery next time. I stopped for a break at their cafe on the fourth floor, overlooking the botanical gardens and had a foccacia and a hot chocolate. Both were excellent. The staff were all friendly and very helpful. I also tagged along for awhile with a tour which taught me a few things I didn't know about Antarctic explorers.

There is also a discovery section for kids and it only costs $2. I didn't go in but it did look like fun. A great place to visit and next to the botanical gardens and across the road from the Art centre.

Reviewed 1 week ago

A well-managed museum whit free entry. very interesting cultural history
from New Zealand and other parts of the world.
My favorite part was about working dogs in Antarctica.
Worth a visit and it's nest to the Botanic Gardens.

Reviewed 1 week ago

regretfully we only had a couple of hours but this is such a well presented museum but you need a day to enjoy. the staff were great possibly the only negative is the distance between toilet locations

CantMuseum, Manager at Canterbury Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thanks for the feedback about the toilets but glad you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

This museum is free to enter with donations optional. We found it interesting, educational and enjoyable. It has 2 floors and takes about 2 hours to visit completely. We especially enjoyed the wildlife photographs, the replica town of colonial Christchurch and the colonial clothes. My husband enjoyed the war memorial section and the animals on the second floor. We recommend a visit to this museum.

1  Thank Samiya7

We're so glad you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

So much to see in this museum you could be there for days! There’s something for everyone and there’s everything you could think of. Would highly recommend a visit but make sure you put aside a lot of time to do it all. And even better, it’s free!

So glad you enjoyed your visit. Vicki

Reviewed 1 week ago

As with all museums, it is difficult to find a niche that is different, so that it isn't just more of the same.
I think that these guys have managed that, with a lot of the displays relating to locals that 'made good'.
Well worth the visit.
And free (only a gold coin donation when you leave).

Glad you enjoyed our stories. Vicki

Reviewed 1 week ago

Museum is very interesting and as there is very little these days that’s free it’s DEFINATELY worth a look around

Thanks for the recommendation. Vicki