SUMMARY: First time stay at The George. Have long been an armchair fan hoping and wishing to stay there, so was excited to have an opportunity to spend 2 nights in one of their Premium Executive (entry level!) rooms.
They say it's the little things that make the difference, unfortunately for my take on it - the little things that they fell short on really all added up to combine for an overall disappointing experience, which is a shame. I had high expectations that just weren't met.
* location (right by Christchurchs amazing Hagley Park)
* staff friendliness (all well trained to greet you with sincerity each time they all see you)
* the ambience (felt like a large home away from home rather than a 'hotel' which, is a good reflection of what a small luxury hotel should be).
THE NOT SO GOOD:
* Property advertises each room comes with complimentary WiFi/Broadband. This is on a data limit. If you want more you either phone reception and they reset it to give you more, or you have to buy a bigger limit. While calling up seems like an ok option - we called about 12 times in the 2 days we were there. Considering we were really only in the room for the evening and were out for the day, this was a very inconvenient thing to have to do. There's no prior warning that the data will be capped, so I find this to be a bit of a let down.
* Room had heated floors. These weren't on. We turned them on. They take around 6 hours to heat up. The hotel has special environmental features which mean if you're not in the room - nothing like the floors is working (e.g. air conditioning, heated floors). So turning them on to heat up overnight meant when returning to the room the next night after being out all day - had to start the process all over again. I imagine this is, ironically, very inefficient, but more than anything - it's not luxurious, it just seems tacky. To say we didn't get to enjoy the heated floors is a chilly reminder for our feet. First world problem I know!
* Toilet flush. A necessary part of the process you could say. Except both the toilet seat and the toilet lid covered half of the toilet flush buttons. So to flush the loo you had to close not just the seat - but the lid too. Poor design. Inconvenient. And anything but luxurious. Normally I get brownie points for always leaving the seat down. This time around I got in trouble for leaving the lid down on top of it!
* Touch pad lighting all very nice in concept - but the three pads in the room were all so dang bright that at night - there was not the darkness one expects in a small luxury hotel. Instead it was bright and distirbungly so. Neither of us slept well despite the bed being comfy, and we put it down to the illumination of the touch pads.
* Bath 'slip pads'. It was a shower over bath, so they had inbuilt anti-slip textures in the bath tub. Great for the shower to avoid ice-skating, but when soaking in the tub I felt like my butt got a good exfoliation it wasn't actually seeking. My idea of relaxing in the tub is staying in one position like a beached whale for at least 10 minutes. Except in this tub at the conclusion of my relaxed soak, I peeled my backside off the anti-slip thing and forgot about all of the relaxation I'd just been enjoying.
* check-in mistake. When checking in - they had the total stay wrong (duration of stay) which they corrected, but when we went to check out - the original incorrect dates were back in the reservation. They wondered why we were checking out early when in fact we weren't.
Would probably give them another chance; after all they hold a very high reputation among most raters, but, would seriously reconsider going back there in a hurry and would probably be pretty unenthusiastic about returning. If I do, my expectations will be based on my poor experience rather than the hyped up comparisons I held from other reviews, and maybe I'll have them surpassed!
Overall I'd say 4/10.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The George is the essence of supreme comfort. Its 53 spacious rooms are designed with a stylish eye for detail, complete with luxury amenities. With a one-to-one ratio of staff to guests, impeccable service is guaranteed. In 2013, 2012 and 2010 it was recognised as ‘New Zealand’s #1 City Hotel’ in Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards, was New Zealand’s Leading Boutique Hotel’ 2006 – 2010 & 2012 – 2013 in the World Travel Awards. The George offers discerning travellers superb comfort and individual attention in an intimate ambiance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Cancelon, Agoda, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The George Christchurch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The George Christchurch Hotel Christchurch
- The George Hotel Christchurch
- George Hotel Christchurch