“Small Luxury Hotel missing the luxury.”

The George Christchurch
Ranked #6 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phuket
“Small Luxury Hotel missing the luxury.”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

SUMMARY: First time stay at The George. Have long been an armchair fan hoping and wishing to stay there, so was excited to have an opportunity to spend 2 nights in one of their Premium Executive (entry level!) rooms.

They say it's the little things that make the difference, unfortunately for my take on it - the little things that they fell short on really all added up to combine for an overall disappointing experience, which is a shame. I had high expectations that just weren't met.

THE GOOD:
* location (right by Christchurchs amazing Hagley Park)
* staff friendliness (all well trained to greet you with sincerity each time they all see you)
* the ambience (felt like a large home away from home rather than a 'hotel' which, is a good reflection of what a small luxury hotel should be).

THE NOT SO GOOD:
* Property advertises each room comes with complimentary WiFi/Broadband. This is on a data limit. If you want more you either phone reception and they reset it to give you more, or you have to buy a bigger limit. While calling up seems like an ok option - we called about 12 times in the 2 days we were there. Considering we were really only in the room for the evening and were out for the day, this was a very inconvenient thing to have to do. There's no prior warning that the data will be capped, so I find this to be a bit of a let down.

* Room had heated floors. These weren't on. We turned them on. They take around 6 hours to heat up. The hotel has special environmental features which mean if you're not in the room - nothing like the floors is working (e.g. air conditioning, heated floors). So turning them on to heat up overnight meant when returning to the room the next night after being out all day - had to start the process all over again. I imagine this is, ironically, very inefficient, but more than anything - it's not luxurious, it just seems tacky. To say we didn't get to enjoy the heated floors is a chilly reminder for our feet. First world problem I know!

* Toilet flush. A necessary part of the process you could say. Except both the toilet seat and the toilet lid covered half of the toilet flush buttons. So to flush the loo you had to close not just the seat - but the lid too. Poor design. Inconvenient. And anything but luxurious. Normally I get brownie points for always leaving the seat down. This time around I got in trouble for leaving the lid down on top of it!

* Touch pad lighting all very nice in concept - but the three pads in the room were all so dang bright that at night - there was not the darkness one expects in a small luxury hotel. Instead it was bright and distirbungly so. Neither of us slept well despite the bed being comfy, and we put it down to the illumination of the touch pads.

* Bath 'slip pads'. It was a shower over bath, so they had inbuilt anti-slip textures in the bath tub. Great for the shower to avoid ice-skating, but when soaking in the tub I felt like my butt got a good exfoliation it wasn't actually seeking. My idea of relaxing in the tub is staying in one position like a beached whale for at least 10 minutes. Except in this tub at the conclusion of my relaxed soak, I peeled my backside off the anti-slip thing and forgot about all of the relaxation I'd just been enjoying.

* check-in mistake. When checking in - they had the total stay wrong (duration of stay) which they corrected, but when we went to check out - the original incorrect dates were back in the reservation. They wondered why we were checking out early when in fact we weren't.

CONCLUSION:
Would probably give them another chance; after all they hold a very high reputation among most raters, but, would seriously reconsider going back there in a hurry and would probably be pretty unenthusiastic about returning. If I do, my expectations will be based on my poor experience rather than the hyped up comparisons I held from other reviews, and maybe I'll have them surpassed!

Overall I'd say 4/10.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelatorz
TheGeorgeGM, General Manager at The George Christchurch, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear travelatorz,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We sincerely regret not meeting your expectations on this occasion. We do take heart however that you enjoyed our location, staff friendliness and the ambience of our facilities.

We take on board your constructive feedback and will work on ways to address these issues. While the current wi-fi data limit is adequate for the majority of our guests, with the ever increasing demand for data we will be significantly increasing the limit in the near future.
We are currently working with the suppliers of the lighting system to reduce or eliminate the night time glow from the lighting controls and are hopeful of a positive outcome.

The environment is very important to us and where-ever possible we have put procedures in place to reduce our impact on it. The vast majority of our initiatives are not even noticed by our guests. Yes, our building management system does turn most of the electrical appliances off automatically when there is no one in the room but also automatically reactivates everything when the room is occupied again. The underfloor heating works as a storage heater and holds its heat for many hours after being switched off and then comes right back on as soon as our guests return to the room. Yes it does take a little while to heat up but is certainly toasty warm in the morning when most guests are using the bathroom.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments, we do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The George to improve your perception of us.

Bruce Garrett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed at the George for two nights on a work trip. The rooms are immaculate, there is so much detail that goes into them! Very spacious and comfortable. Unfortunately I did not get much of a chance to explore the hotel/it's amenities but from what I could see it was 5*. Breakfast was delicious!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank anika-grace
TheGeorgeGM, General Manager at The George Christchurch, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Anika-grace,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent work trip. We are very happy you enjoyed our rooms and breakfast. Hopefully on your next visit you will have more time to experience our other facilities.

Thank you again for your review.

Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I booked a night here as a treat for myself after the concert I was going to. When I arrived I was warmly treated, offered to have my bag taken to my room for me, shown to my room and also was shown how to operate everything in the room. Very beautiful room, underfloor heating in the bathrooms. The room was perfectly clean. I was also brought chocolates and a teddy bear which was a very nice touch, my only complain has to be the quality of food for room service, for the price, the food was less than up to standard. But I definitely wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
TheGeorgeGM, General Manager at The George Christchurch, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Larissa D,

Thank you for your very kind comments. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the welcome and the quality of our facilities. I will raise your comments regarding the room service quality with our Executive Chef for him to work on with his team. While we do get some very good feedback about the room service food quality it would appear that we did not get it right on this occasion. I would like to apologise for this and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit and having the opportunity to demonstrate our usual high standards.

Thank you again for taking the time to post this review.

Greater Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

I'm probably not the best reviewer for this place as I don't normally stay in hotels as fancy as this. The 24hr check in saw us here, the service was great (although perhaps due to our arrival hour we missed our free arrival drink), the wifi worked in our well-appointed room and I could see the view from the rooms could be great (ours overlooked some hotel utilities). All the lights are touchpad operated except for the towel rail in the bathroom, which we couldn't turn off (the towel rail probably doesn't need it's own light!) so that was annoying, the door to the bathroom was frosted glass so there was no avoiding that light! One thing we didn't realise was our gift of George the bear, who has his own blog. What a great gimmick! We left early the next day so didn't get to experience everything the hotel has to offer but enjoyed our stay and the facilities anyway.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGeorgeGM, General Manager at The George Christchurch, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Skye M,

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed our service and the George Bear gift. We have taken note of your constructive comments and will follow up with our night-team about the welcome drinks, as these should be offered no matter what the arrival time.
Hopefully on your next visit you will be able to stay a bit longer so you have more time to relax and enjoy the experience.

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

The service provided by the staff was fantastic. The staff were friendly, helpful, knew the area well and gave accurate directions. As we were leaving early, staff arranged an early breakfast and a car to pick us up to go to the station.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank lizzy8a
TheGeorgeGM, General Manager at The George Christchurch, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear lizzy8a,

Thank you for your kind words following your stay with us in September. I am delighted that you have identified the level of service provided by our team to be the stand-out from your stay. I will pass your feedback on to our team who will be thrilled to see how their efforts are appreciated.

Thank you again for taking the time to post this review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The George in future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This hotel is excellent. We had a very good welcome and rooms and service were excellent. There is also a fantastic restaurant in the hotel called Pescatore which I'd highly recommend. The hotel was really clean, room was big and very comfortable/luxurious. Would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fran W
Dear Fran W,

We appreciate you taking the time to post this review, thank you. We are very glad that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay from the welcome, room and service through to the quality of the meal in our signature restaurant, Pescatore.

Thank you also for your positive recommendation to other travellers.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

First impressions were that the staff were very welcoming and they were exceptionally approachable. The room was lovely: beautifully fitted out and comfortable. We opted to have dinner at the hotel and were spoilt for choice with two great restaurant options. They were both reasonably expensive, but the food was really good and worth the prices. The perfect place to go for a special weekend away!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank whatdowedonext
Dear whatdowedonext,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review after your recent stay with us. We are thrilled that we were able to help make your weekend away special and look forward to welcoming you back to The George in future.