The George Christchurch
Hotel 115 Christchurch(Christchurch)(Great Value!)
$134
The Classic Villa(Christchurch)
$138
$96
1,508 results
All reviewsteddy bearpescatore restaurantsmall luxury hotelpark suitenew zealandturn down servicehagley parkjunior suiteheated floorslovely hotelbeautiful parkour honeymoonavon riverbotanical gardensvictoria streetsouth islandnice room
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel is located across from Hadley Park and the Avon River. It has beautiful views with floor to ceiling windows, sitting areas and nice large bathrooms. It is within walking distance of the downtown area that is being rebuilt and renewed after the devastating earthquake in 2011.

2  Thank trvltess
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Location: great location, it’s right next to the Hagley Park so we had an extremely nice stroll in late afternoon. It’s 15 minutes walk to center but since there isn’t much to see in the center you might as well just enjoy being close to the park.

Room: it’s a bit small but very clean and tidy with good décor. The balcony overlooks a private garden and is petite and lovely.

Service: was excellent. Every staff was very nice and attentive. We’re on our honeymoon trip and we got upgraded to a honeymoon suite and 2 free glasses of sparkling wine – which was awesome. We are checking at maps and the staff came to us proactively and explained everything.

Value: we paid a total NZD 370 for an executive room and 2 breakfasts, which translated to ~EUR240 and I think it’s a bit expensive. I’m surprised breakfast is not included and it’s a bit over-priced for me, comparing with what I paid in Europe. On top of that, I can never understand why every hotel in New Zealand charges so much on Wifi – when I paid $19 for Vodafone prepaid and got 500MB, 50 minutes and 5000 text messages free!

Bottom line: still strongly recommend if you're staying in Christchurch.

Room Tip: I stayed in Executive Room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGeorgeGM, General Manager at The George Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear NilesHo,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed our location, service, the upgrade to a suite and the complimentary sparkling wine.

I do understand where you are coming from with regards the internet charges. I have had the same conversation with our ISP on numerous occasions. Their answer is always that the business product we have is vastly superior to a domestic on and needs to be in order to cope with the large numbers of simultaneous users we have. On top of that there is a large amount of equipment required and cable to run to provide both wired and wireless coverage to every part of the hotel. On top of the considerable investment in the original setup, the hotel spends $30,000 every year to monitor and maintain the network and pay for our data package. We provide every guest with a free data allowance which is enough for basic email and web surfing. We also offer free internet access from our lobby computers. We only start charging when guests wish to use an above average amount of data.

The good news is that our costs are coming down and as they do we are able to pass this on to our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your feedback.

Kind regards,

Bruce Garrett

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Visited the George after a 15 day self-drive tour of New Zealand and were immediately impressed with the professionalism of the staff and ambience of the hotel. Room was excellent, as was the food sampled in the restaurant.....a bit pricey but well worth the cost.

Really nice touches throughout, that helped to set this hotel apart from others visited.
An oasis of quality in a truly impressive city, undoubtedly overcoming the ravages of the devastating earthquake.

The gift of George the teddy bear was another wonderful touch, well appreciated by my wife.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave F
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Awesome hotel standard, everything about this hotel is of a high standard, and we are not talking about any sort of chain here, so maybe thats why, the staff are fantastic, the service is to a very high standard, the rooms are quality and well equipt. if i could fault anything it would be the cost of the restaurants, quite pricy.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

The George is in a class of it's own in Christchurch With so many hotels being destroyed by the earthquake two years ago, the options are limited at the top end of the market.
The staff are extremely professional, and attentive, certainly as good as the best I've come across anywhere in the world. Having said that, they are not over the top or condesending. I arrived on my Harley, and one of the arrival staff, a young lady, was there in a flash to take my bag.
A call from Reception 5 minutes after arrival offering a complimentary drink, coffee, etc, certainly is a nice touch - delivered a few minutes later.
Drinks at the bar were a delight.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo