“Value for money and good service”

Heartland Hotel Cotswold
Ranked #55 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Melbourne, Australia
“Value for money and good service”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Warm service, clean and well equipped room, Quiet considering location which by the way is central for most parts of Christchurch. Rooms are based around a square courtyard which fronts onto the Papanui Road. We booked a special directly from the website which included breakfast which was really good value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Alison C,

Thank you for your positive comments.
The photo attached speaks a thousand words.
Thanks you

Patrick Moittie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
cornwall
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is the first bad review I have ever written. The room we were given was away from the main complex and was a row of ground floor flats. When I put the key in the slidding patio door to gain entry the door just slid open as the lock was loose. The smell that greated me was a mixture of vomit and stale booze. The bed was so lumpy and uncomftable that I was at first thinking of sleeping on the floor. When I complained the staff said "this is what you get when you pay for a lower priced room" they would upgrade me for $150. I informed them that I had spent 20 days travelling New Zealand in rooms of the same price and they were all very nice. They would not give me a refund or another room for the same price and I was not prepaired to stay there with my wife, so we left without a refund and found another hotel which was far cheaper,cleaner and of better standard. I have travelled the world and this was the worst room that has been offered to me anywhere. Maybe i was unlucky but I thought I should write to warn others

Room Tip: find another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mathewmathew
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Mathewmathew,

I wish to apologise for the poor experience you had.

I'm puzzled about your comments and horrified by the feedback you received.
As I would like to get to full picture, could you please contact me directly at
patrick.moittie@heartlandhotels.co.nz

I look forward to hear back from you.

Patrick Moittie

Travelers are raving about these Christchurch hotels

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed in a triple room (3singles) quite a large room, a little worn but very cozy and quiet. We were at the back and had to lug our bags upstairs, but the room was worth it for the large windows, bathroom and big flat screen tv. No free Internet though. We decided to stay in Christchurch rather than further a field as the local businesses are trying to recover after the earthquake. It was an interesting place to visit and I will be back to compare the reconstruction with this visit. Good luck Christchurch!

Stayed October 2012
Dear Auntydence,

Thank you for your positive comments about the hotel and Christchurch.
The city is getting back up and every week a business re open or a new one starts.
It's exciting time for all of us

Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Ended up staying here for one night as all the hotels that seem to be decent were destroyed in the earthquake. So I booked here as the reviews looked good. All I can say is thank goodness is just one night as this place is nothing to write home about. Just as a frame of reference I stay in hotels over 250 nights a year with my business all over the world. I have the highest membership at Hilton's, SPG (Westins, Sheratons etc.), Marriott and Inter-Continental hotels so I know a thing or two about hotels. First the check in. Asked for a later check out and was told no as the place was booked and I had to be out of the hotel by 10am. This has only happened twice in 16 years of traveling. So no is no here. So I was told I had to pay for the internet which is normally free in most hotels. Then I was told it’s a free for all regards to parking. So there is no allocated parking spot for your room. I called down and asked for ice and could someone bring it to my room. Was told I needed to come down to the reception and grab a plastic bag go across the courtyard climb a set of stairs and you'll find an ice maker. Also there are no elevators here. I was lucky there was a young lad in the parking lot seeing who asked if he could take my large bag to my room. Finally service from someone!. I gave him a tip. So now I booked a suite. The room was big but tired and bar far the worst suite I've had in New Zealand and bar fare the most expensive. The other suites I had was the Hilton in Auckland and Lake Taupo and the ITC in Wellington all 5 star hotels, all better, all cheaper and all had better service. The rooms need updating. A large screen TV is nice but only has a few chanels. The couch, bathroom and bedroom are all old and worn out. Basically the furniture and comfort that you would find in your grandma’s house. After a long day you want service and comfort so you can rest and this place does not deliver on both. Next let’s take about dinner. Soup and wine was good but dinner Beef wellington was crap left most of it. Sent it back the first time as it was undercooked next time it was tough I couldn’t cut it with a steak nice. If it was good I should be able to cut it with butter nice. Lastly after not eating dinner I ask the guy at the front desk for a menu or the local indian for take out. Was told dont have one walk up the street its a five minutes walk. This is a basic for any hotel/motel. As a world traveler would I recommend this place? Absolutely not! Dont waste your money this place is nothing to write home about and should be a one star and have one star prices.New Zealanders dont put up with crap.

Room Tip: Fine somewhere else to stay
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Andrew N,

Thank you for your review.
Firstly, allow me to apologise to you for the poor service you have experienced.
Our star rating comparing to the hotels you normally frequent, do not excuse any of your points.

I will presonnally take your constructive points to the team in order to review our internal procedures.

Once again, I want to thank you for sharing your point of view from a world well travelled guest.
Should you wish to carry on this conversation, please feel free to contact me directly at
patrick.moittie@heartlandhotels.co.nz

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome again in Christchurch

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Booked on the basis of some good reviews and star rating which may relate to the hotel part of this motel/hotel. Our motel room, actually small suite, had a worn out sofa which sagged and needed a rug (provided) which allowed you to sit on it at all. The bed was similar and we had to sleep on the edges to avoid falling into the central hole. The bathroom was really substandard, clean but way past use-by date. This would be good if you had kids (only because its big) and didn't mind slumming it. The breakfast was better than ok but only just. The position is a bit far from the centre but in the district of lots of cheaper places. Other reviews indicate the hotel part is good and I can't comment except that it looks neat from outside so you could try that but avoid the motel at least until its refurbished which we were told is due to occur in the next year or so. All in all fairly nasty and my rating above is generous.

Room Tip: Avoid the motel if you can.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear RolandWorldTravels,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
I'm sorry that your stay didn't meet your expectation and I wish to thank you for making a distinction between our hotel room and our self contained units, like the one you were in.

The information you have been given about the refurbishement is true, we have already started changing some sofas and its on going.
The mattresses as well as the bathrooms will come later.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the experiience you had and should you wish to give us another chance, please feel free to contact me directly.

Otago Region, New Zealand
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I was booked here by someone from work and I have to admit I wasn't looking forward to staying. I'm not a fan of the the colonial-style, lead-light window era. But I have to admit my stay was very pleasant. The staff were friendly & welcoming, the room was warm & spacious & the bed was very comfortable. The location on the city end of Papanui Rd made it convienient for working in the CBD so I can honestly recommend this as a comfortable place to stop.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank workineverywhere
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear workineverywhere,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We are glad to read that we managed to change your perseption of the property.
We llok forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed two nights on business. I was surprised by the size of the very spacious room. Heating was excellent, and I was toasty warm, despite very cold weather outside. This is hotel is not in the luxury price bracket, but I thought it provided good service. I was particularly impressed by the staff who were all friendly and helpful. While the faux tudor style of the buildings and decor is not really to my taste, I would happily stay there again because of the comfort of the rooms, the great staff, and the good value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CotswoldHM, General Manager at Heartland Hotel Cotswold, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear Marsh 21

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us.

We pride ourselves in deleivering good guest services and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay.