“for a chain this one stands out”
Review of The Coffee Club

The Coffee Club
Ranked #34 of 46 Coffee & Tea in Christchurch
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: The Coffee Club Hagley Park on Victoria Street of Christchurch. Opens daily for breakfast, lunch, coffee, drinks & cake. Choose between a wide range of delicious meals from our all day menu. For Good Food, Great Service, Excellent Coffee, make sure you visit The Coffee Club Hagley Park on Victoria Street! Free wifi with any purchase.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“for a chain this one stands out”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Really friendly staff, immaculate premises, brand new, great food, fast service and the coffee is very good.

Visited April 2014
TCCHagleyPark, Owner at The Coffee Club, responded to this review, March 18, 2015
Thank you so much for your great review!

Christchurch, New Zealand
“Terrible coffee, Terrible service”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm sorry to day that one the 3 occasions I have visited this site the coffee has been not drinkable because the coffee had been burnt.

On the last occasion I visited and was given I took the coffee back and politely commented on the fact the coffee was burnt to be abused by the staff member and told I didn't know what I was talking about.

Needless to say I left and won't go there again.

If you want great coffee and service, go across the road. There's a little cafe run by Japanese ladies (can't remember the name sorry) and they make great coffee :)

• Visited August 2013
Thank you for your honest review. We recently took over the business, and we will make sure your comments to be our example what not to do for as long as we manage the business. Have a great day!
Atlanta, GA
“Lovely lunch options, free Wifi”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

As in, actual free wifi - no need to provide your email, no code needed, etc. This is rare in this area. Plus the food really was tasty and the portions were generous. Excellent cafe.

Visited June 2013
Thank you for your great review back 2 years ago! Sorry it took us a while to reply. :)
Auckland, New Zealand
“Undrinkable coffee”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Dropped in for a quick cup of coffee and ordered a double shot flat-white - I could tell when it arrived that it was not going to taste good....

First of all the appearance of the coffee, it had the texture of what can only be described as a home-made cappuccino, (over steamed macrofoam for any coffee snobs out there). This was made even worse by the visually unappealing aspect that I could see where the person who made the coffee had then poured the non foamed milk (micro or macro) into the cup. The texture looked like ti was bumpy. I don't know how someone could send a coffee out looking that.

The second giveaway it was going to be bad was when I picked the cup up and almost burnt my hand, don't get me wrong, I like a hot coffee, just not one that is approaching thermo-nuclear. This girl can't have touched the jug when steaming the milk otherwise I am sure I would have heard her scream in agony.

The third and final tell tale was the taste... As you will recall I had ordered a double shot, I don't know if the girl making the coffee is familiar with what a double shot should be, but I got the distinct impression that she had just let the single shot (which for some unknown reasons places seem to doing these days) just run until the cup was quarter full of over-extracted, burnt, bitter coffee.

It can not have had any crema on it - surely this is coffee making 101? I mean, how could a cafe send a coffee out that was this bad, it wasn't like it was slightly bad, I can deal with slightly bad, I can deal with reasonably bad, I just can't deal with down right terrible. This coffee was undrinkable. I thought perhaps it was me, I didn't want to make a fuss, until the person I was having coffee with asked if my coffee tasted foul as well - phew, I took them both back with a sip from each and asked for them to be replaced.

Mistake.

Simple, plain, mistake. The next lot of coffee came out - I don't know how else to describe this apart from calling it milky, non-frothy, light brown wease. It looked like an instant coffee, you know the one you make when you've got no other option? Well it was that, with a dollop of macrofoam on the top.

I appreciate that because of the drought the cows are probably on a different type of feed and due to this the texture of the milk has probably changed and perhaps because of this the girl who was making the coffee didn't adjust her technique, but none of that is any excuse to send out four coffees that were undrinkable.

The coffee maker then came over and advised me that the reason why the first coffees were undrinkable was because they were double shots and we obviously weren't accustomed to double shot coffees, so she had made them much weaker this time (hence the wease comment above).

My colleague beat me to the punch when we were asked if they were better coffees, to which she replied, "better this time", to be honest it's not difficult to improve on that first coffee that came out, perhaps we should sent this coffee maker to North Korea, it'll certainly give them something to get angry about, actually that's probably a bad idea.

If someone reads this - please send your staff to a coffee making course, better yet get someone to come in and teach them how to use the machine that you have. Tell them it's better to through a horrible looking coffee out than give it to a customer. I for one, will never be back and it could have become a regular fling with you and I.

• Visited April 2013
Thank you for your detailed review! It has been a while, and we only took over the business not long ago, but your comments will serve us as an example for as long as we manage the business. It is hard to make every coffee and food we serve to be perfect each time, but we will try our best. Have a wonderful day! :)
Gold Coast
“Excellent Value for money and great tasting food”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Went back to Christchurch last week, and because it was so excellent last time I was there in August 2012, I went back there twice while I was in Christchurch. Nothing has changed ! We had Eggs Benedict both days, and they were fantastic. At the moment they have 2 for 1 meals Monday to Friday so that was even better ! The staff were friendly, and we received the meals in a timely manner. Both coffee and Tea were great as well.

• Visited March 2013
Thank you so much for your awesome review! :)