Chateau on the Park - Christchurch, a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #23 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Work in progress”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Pleasant enough hotel - construction work after earthquake makes it a bit of a work site in parts. Breakfast average. Fine for a business trip not so for a treat or holiday. Stayed here a few times and service always acceptable - bit pricey for quality. I would stay here again but not my first choice for Christchurch. Bar comfortable - bar meals pretty good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We were in NZ for 3 weeks. This is the only motel that was not good. It does not have a sign out front (I know they are rebuilding, but they NEED to let us know WHERE they are). We stopped at a motel down the street and the manager helped us. The front office staff was very nice. We wanted ice and had to go to the restaurant to get it and they had to FIND a plastic bag to put it in. The room is very small and the carpet is dirty. I found this property on Tripadvisor, but guess I did not read it correctly. The restaurant was good for dinner, but NOT good for breakfast. The server was rude and we did report this. We shall find another property next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Patricia W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Lovely hotel with fantastic French connection toiletries. They left chocolates on our pillow (it was part of our honeymoon). Friendly helpful staff. Clean room which was a decent size. Great location just a quick walk across the park to the cbd Christchurch. Very happy customers :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Certainly there is evident earthquake damage, and this is being repaired, but my overall impression was poor mostly as it appears the hotel public areas and guest rooms look like they haven't been updated since the property was originally built. Once in the room I felt I was in a back suburb 1980s motel room.

This can be forgiven if the room rates reflected the product on offer. I suspect the only reason such room rates can be charged is due to the lack of available hotel rooms in the city.

This is also the only hotel I've stayed in that placed a surcharge in the restaurant for a public holiday. I always try and have at least one meal in the hotel but on this occassion I truly regretted visiting the in house restaurant. If we had known the area better we would have found out that just a short stroll away there were several cafes open offering good food and coffee with no public holiday surcharge.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nambour
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is our first visit since the earthquake and were very sad to see how much still needing attention including the Japanese Garden though we fully appreciate that is not a priority. Just to have it up and running and not having to be used as accommodation for the workers restoring the city is quite an achievement. We found our room fine - just the normal inner city accommodation you see in the capital cities all over NZ and Australia - clean and everything you would expect in a hotel room. The service as always was excellent and the food both dinner and breakfast were great. It is a beautiful building in lovely gracious surroundings, right opposite Hagley Park and a walkable distance to town for the reasonably fit. We wish them all the best in the ongoing restoration.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night before a tour of the South Island. Front desk staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Had dinner at the bar and it was excellent. Breakfast the next morning was also excellent. Room was clean and comfortable, but just looked a bit dated, with a few minor maintenance things I noticed and reported to the staff upon checkout. Hotel grounds were very nice, and is across the street from a large park. Even met Gary, the hotel cat! So in short, a nice place to stay in Christchurch!

• Stayed July 2013
new zealand
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I've stayed here before and agreed with the other reviews - a bit tired looking but OK. I chose to stay here for location - its close to where I do business and I appreciate the walk in the park in the mornings.

This time was the last straw - and I wouldn't stay there again.

My issue comes down to food. I need a gluten free diet - I travel for business and I can't afford to spend half a day being violently ill. Despite constantly asking and checking if things were gluten free - they still got it wrong. and when I complained they acted as if it was funny and I was over reacting.

In the end I just got my bags, checked out and went somewhere else.

This is the second time its happened - on my last trip the same thing happened so I guess more fool me for giving them a second chance.

Thank Heaven that Christchurch is full of great eating places that actually do understand special diets.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business