“Poor Service and Overpriced”

Chateau on the Park - Christchurch, a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #16 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed here in November 2012 for my brothers 60th birthday from New Plymouth for one night, service was terrible at the front reception and the bar areas did not talk to the reception, in fact they complained about the reception not being helpful. We wanted to charge our drinks to the room they took an extra amount out at check in of our eftpos due to not having a credit card which we thought would cover any costs incurred yet on 3 occasions they asked me for my credit card which I explained what we had done. On the 3rd occasion which was in front of guests we had, we said we wanted to talk to the manager/duty manager. Well we went to reception asked for the duty manager who was the food and beverage manager, he came out and I started to tell him what happened to us, he was not interested and kept saying this is our policy like a recording. I asked where is the customer service in this hotel and he stayed focused on the policy. So absolutely no thought for the customer he didn't even attempt to help me in any way.
Not happy with dated décor and price we paid, will not return - unfortunate as this could have been resolved in a far better way

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Craig P

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed here for a convention for 8 days. It was very pleasant with beautiful grounds and the rooms were nice. A little expensive but considering the city lost 3/4 of their hotel rooms in the earthquakes is was very nice. Beds were comfortable and they changed the linens everyday without asking. Staff is peasant and they are making repairs still from the earthquakes but all in all a lovely place close to the beautiful park and not far from the shopping malls, maybe 30 min walk. They also have free bicycles you can use to get around the town

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank queenhelene
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The rooms were comfortable, the restaurant good and Bar understaffed. However, a problem with the flushing of the toilet in my room and checking out problems soured the visit.
The hotel has a beautiful garden near the restaurant. Free 4 hour packages Wi-Fi was okay with good speed if nobody else was using it.
After three notifications to reception that the flushing action in the toilet was not correct and that it took up to 7 flushes to clear the toilet the matter remained an issue after two nights. I have had a bit of experience with fixing toilets in my time. No offer to transfer my room (perhaps because of heavy bookings due to a conference in town) and only the porter assigned to check the issue provided a Do Not Really Care attitude.
The settlement of my account following a misunderstanding by me hat it was prepaid lead me to ask the question "Can I settle the account with Eftpos?" This was asked three times before I went to settle. The reality was I could not, so I had to make alternative payment arrangements.
The bar was not well stocked with Draught Beer and the attendant, who was very good, was under a lot of pressure with the large number of guests. She had to not only look after the bar but order and from what I witnessed deliver Bar Meals from the kitchen, this obviously left the bar area without staff for too long on too many occasions (no I was not in there all night either).
Considering the number of issues that I had I am not able to recommend this hotel, especially at the room rate charged of NZ$195.50 per night.

Noise from upstairs rooms was an issue on my first night with noise resembling a furniture removalist coming through the ceiling! A call to reception eventually overcame this issue. Sound proofing is not a major feature off this hotel.

Pity really as the the bulk of the staff were mostly obliging and the garden is a nice area. The earthquake damage has obviously affected the smooth running of the hotel and maybe pipe damage may have caused the toilet problem with back pressure to the main line.

Sad but factual as I experienced the facility.

Room Tip: Unfortunately the only tip I can give to getting a good room is to find an alternative Hotel. Very d...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LungGel
Reviewed January 5, 2013

If you have low expectations and need somewhere to sleep while exploring the beautiful city of Christchurch then this is not a bad hotel. It is very dated (seems not to have been renovated since the early 1980s?) but the rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The in house wi fi is fast too, much to our delight!
The continental breakfast was average, but set beside the beauitful gardens.
Unfortunately, the interior hallways smell overwhelmingly of mould.
The previous review 'dated old dog' is spot on, but the rooms are of a good standard.
The dining staff were very friendly and handled a busy evening and morning admirably.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa H
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have just spent 4 days at chateau on the park in Christchurch and yes there are still signs of the devastation caused by the earthquake. However, this did not affect our stay. The rooms were comfortable and it was very quiet even though the hotel was fully booked. We cannot praise the staff enough, they were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much for them ( and believe me we are quite demanding guests). In particular Wendy who worked in the restaurant was a fantastic mine of information. She made us welcome from our first day, gave us maps and guides on what to do, where to go etc and was interested in our photos and wanted feedback on what we had been doing. She really helped to make our stay here more special. The food was excellent, it is rare for us to 'eat in' in any hotel for more than one night if at all. At the Chateau we ate in three nights and every meal was good. Thank you Chateau on the Park for making our stay such a pleasant one for two London girls.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dee G
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here one night before heading to the airport early. I thought it was closer to the town. There is a nice botanic gardens within walking distance. You can take a bus to get to town center. It's about 2-1/2 miles from the canter berry museum. The hotel had a/c tv iron, fridge, coffee pot hairdryer, heated drying rack for towels. There is a nice place to eat 2 blocks away next to a convenience store running bull had lovely salad and pizza, burgers. We used super shuttle to get to the airport. The front desk made the booking.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ackart
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Nice place in riccarton.. The hotel provides free shuttle to city centre during the day and even to the railway station if anyone is caching the transalpine train.

The facility at the hotel is good.. Though we hardly use any off them,..

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple