“Absolutely love this place”

Haka Lodge Christchurch
Singapore
“Absolutely love this place”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The hostel was great for my friend and I. We drove so had no problems finding. It may look small but the rooms are actually one of the bigger double rooms we stayed at in New Zealand. Staff was really really nice and there were DVD players in our rooms as well. Really worth the money paid to stay here. Would recommend this to everyone!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

This hostel is a small and homey one right outside Christchurch CBD. Everything you could possible need is available and the staff was incredible happy to help. The kitchen is small, but then there aren't that many people that can stay there at the same time so it was never a problem for us. Everything is clean and the bathrooms was big and felt newly renovated, even the showers was good! You get free wifi vouchers on your arrival which was very appreciated. They do have a cat, which is worth noting if you are allergic, but she was very shy and didn't bother us. Also, the dorms are not really dorms since there is walls (but no doors) between every two beds, and no bunk beds, which gives you bit privacy. They had big lockers for your stuff which made it no problem to leave your valuables.

The location is the only thing that could have been better. It takes approx 10 minutes with a bus from Chch CBD, which was a pain when we were going on an early all day tour from town. But if you have your own car this might even be an advantage. And there's a busstop right outside the entrance anyway so really it wasn't a big deal.

All in all I REALLY liked this hostel and would recommend it for anyone who are going to Chch!

• Stayed November 2012
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Haka Lodge was a real pleasure to stay in. I'm actually going back there in a few days. As other reviewers have said it's like staying over at a mate's rather than being in a hostel. Hands down the most comfortable I've felt in any hostel in NZ. And the showers are lush. Power shower jobs. It was lovely to feel clean after some hit and miss hostels.

The only downsides for me were the distance from the town centre (I had to get two buses after I was dropped off by my intercity coach) and the fact that you had to pay for wifi. It wasn't unlimited as some people have said. Some face booking and a couple of YouTube videos and I was over my limit having paid 10 dollars for a day!

Everything else was great and if they improved on the wifi it would be perfect. Best choice if you've got a car or if you're not too bothered about going into town.

• Stayed November 2012
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I will begin by saying what I've enjoyed with Haka Lodge. The accomodation was well taken care of all the way through, maybe one of the cleanest that I've ever stayed in. The interior was very nice and comfortable with alot to offer in the ways of entertainment. I was a little suprised really by how new everything seemed inside of the building considering that I've been living in backpackers for almost 2 years now and I know how easily things can be damaged inside of them! It did seem a little like I was staying over at someone's house then in a backpackers accomodation. The rooms were nearly motel quality, and the bathrooms were very nice and private and close to our rooms. The staff were very informative about how to get around the city and were helpful when assistance was required.

However, as nice as the backpacker hostel was, I must admit that the location was a bit far from the CBD and other attractions in Christchurch. A bus stop nearby can shift you around with moderate ease though. And some of the staff seemed a little too stern at times or just plain indifferent.

All in all it was a nice, comfortable stay in quality accomodation and with minimal complaints. But hopefully you have a vehicle, or are not shy of a good hike!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, New Zealand
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was very ill with sinusitis and bronchitis and had booked a single room. Haka hooked me up with a complimentary upgrade to an apartment to myself because of my situation. They also stored my luggage for weeks. Very kind and considerate staff. My favorite hostile in Christchurch!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Not your typical hostel. We had our own room with nice sheets, a tv and heater. The bathroom was clean as well, it felt more like I was staying at a friend's house. KItchen was awesome and internet was unlimited which we found difficult to find in NZ. Staff was very friendly. Already recommended the place to other travelers going through Christchurch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 31, 2012

we arrived late at night and there was no trouble checking in. the apartment and room was left nice and warm for a cold night. very clean, great bathroom, and easy check out. Plus was recomended a great cafe for breakfast just down the road. Only thing is you'd be best to have a car to stay here (as we did)

Room Tip: twin room was perfect