“Excellent!”

Full-Day Kaikoura Tour from Christchurch
Ranked #2 of 93 Tours in Christchurch
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Offering tours of Christchurch and Canterbury, Hassle-free Tours is one of the region's best ways to see the New Zealand tourist attractions that draw visitors from around the world. Between discovering Christchurch in a restored double-decker bus to speeding through the Waimak Gorge in a jet boat, there are options to suit everyone’s interests.A favourite among visitors to New Zealand is the unique Lord of the Rings Tour, which ventures into the Canterbury high country for an exciting 4WD ride to the filming location of Edoras, the capital city for the Rohan people in the film trilogy.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Excellent!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was initially a bit dubious about going on the tour as I hadn't seen the movies and didn't want to spend the money if I hadn't seen the films. I stayed up until 1.30am the night before watching the first two movies so I understood what we were about to see. We had our guide Steve all to ourselves and it was my husband, myself and our three year old along for the ride. Th bus was comfy and Steve was full of knowledge. We had a fabulous day. The scenery was beyond anything we had ever seen and the whole thing was worth every penny. Lunch was some of the best pumpkin soup I had ever eaten. Even our three year old had a great day. We would highly recommend this tour to anyone. Even if you haven't seen the movies you will have a great time.

1 Thank 113review

• Korean first
3 attraction reviews
“Great day out...”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I'm local and had heard many good stories so checked it out finally. Big Steve was very knowledgable and I learnt a few local things I'd never heard before. Weather was rough but stii a great day, well worth it whether you are a tourist or local.

Wanganui, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
“Edoras”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The trip was very fun even though the weather (and our bus) didn't cooperate! Big Steve was an awesome guide and he knew a lot of good information about the location and the movie! Our picnic lunch was absolutely delicious and I recommend this trip to everyone!

Birmingham
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Full day Lord of the Rings Tour, worth every penny!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was one of the first activities we booked in New Zealand and we weren't disappointed at all!
We were lucky enough to have a guide all to our selves as no one else had booked in, and by the end of the day Steve was our first friend in NZ :)
Starting with the drive to the location Steve was knowledgeable about many aspects of the country, the landscape, agriculture, and even the people who owned the properties and lands we were driving past.
We stopped at a nice cafe on the way, and a brief stop at Lake Clearwater for fresh air and photos. The tour was littered with LOTR videos and bits of info which got us built up in anticipation ready for our arrival at Mt Sunday.
Before we arrived at destination, Steve helped us do a little bit of geocaching which I'd never done before! It's like a worldwide treasure hunt!
The location itself was incredible, it's literally point and click for all manner of amazing photos. We got to play around with Lord of the Rings prop replicas too, and then it was time for lunch, which included more playing around with swords afterwards :)
It really was an amazing day, I think you could go in any weather and it would still be beautiful. Steve was an awesome guide, and I fell asleep in the car on the way back like a tuckered out little child. Lord of the Rings fan or not, this tour does what it says by being completely hassle free, and completely enjoyable!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank pirate-princess2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Lord of the Rings tour”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was by far the most magical, interactive, and fun tour of all the LotR tours I've done. Our guide (Steve W) had lots of fun stories to tell and built excellent rapport with everyone in the car, and once you turn the corner and get a glimpse of Edoras ( then as big as your thumb) you feel as if you're stepping into a magical world where LotR doesn't seem so fantasy-like anymore. Groups are small making them more personalized, there is plenty time for photos and extra stops can be made, and even if you're not a LotR fan the scenery is exquisite!

Visited July 2013