“Stunning scenery”

Coastal Pacific Train
Ranked #28 of 237 things to do in Christchurch
More attraction details
Owner description: KiwiRail Scenic Journeys is New Zealand's only long distance passenger train operator. We take passengers across New Zealand in comfort and style through some of the most scenic areas of the North and South Islands. It is an experience, not just a journey. The Coastal Pacific is our summer train, traveling between Picton & Christchurch in the South Island between October and April each year. It's a dramatic tour of New Zealand's coastline between the Pacific Ocean and the breath-taking Kaikoura ranges, journeying through 22 tunnels, across 175 bridges and past spectacular wildlife. Coastal Pacific services connect with the Interislander Ferry & Sounds Air Scenic flights in Picton, taking passengers to and from the capital city, Wellington. KiwiRail Scenic also operate the Northern Explorer (previously the Overlander) between Auckland and Wellington, and the TranzAlpine between Christchurch and Greymouth.
Australia
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Stunning scenery”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Great scenery. Good value. Friendly staff. Good food avaiable for purchase. The journey around Kaikoura is awesome.

Visited November 2011

• Greek first
  • Thai first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great train ride”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Great views of the ocean especially from Kaikoura to Picton and loved the commentary. Staff do everything from serving in the buffet to putting luggage on the train. Very comfortable ride. Stunning mountains on one side and the ocean on the other. What more could you want!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Diane F
Christchurch, New Zealand
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Thoroughly recommend”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Fantastic journey, early morning sunrise as we left Christchurch. Hundreds of dolphins very close to shore as we hit the coast at Goose Bay.
Brilliant and helpful staff on the train

Visited March 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Fur seals, a passing whale, snow on the mountains and all from the comfort of my train seat..”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I had to get from Blenheim to Christchurch at the end of a working week and in the middle of a South Island business trip. The short flight (hardly in the air long enough to watch the safety video..) was $160. The Coastal Pacific train was $69. Not a hard decision. I assured my boss it would be a good way to catch up on the week’s work. In 5 hours I would surely clear my burgeoning Inbox.
It was not to be. The clever train designers have fitted out the Coastal Pacific with massive windows-on-the-world that draw you into the incredible landscapes you are hurtling through. You have the option of a commentary via the headphones at your seat or you can just sit and quietly soak in the scenery. I did a lot of soaking. In fact about 30 minutes into our journey (after the last of the Blenheim vineyards) the laptop went back in its bag. (Sorry Boss)
Then I discovered the cafe carriage; that would be the licensed cafe carriage. The menu is a real slice of New Zealand with Anzac biscuits, fruit with local yoghurt and Manuka honey, Canterbury beef and Kapiti cheddar pies and of course the very attractive licensed bit; local wines and beers.
I settled on a sandwich, specifically a free range egg and chive sandwich with truffle oil and pink sea salt (from the just-passed pink salt flats perhaps?). Such a sandwich could not be partnered with any old beverage so I felt duty bound to add a wee bottle of Brancott Estate Chardonnay to my lunch tray. Nice.
So back in my seat we continued with the hurtling; cutting through valleys, over farm fields and along the rocky coast. I saw fur seals, a sea lion and unexpectedly a whale. I passed conversation with fellow passengers and the very engaging train staff. It was the most pleasant way to do a work commute.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank PippaT
Christchurch, New Zealand
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Majestic”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have only been on this train trip once but driven the route dozens of times but it never fails to impress. This is a seriously rugged coastline and the traveller gets up close and personal to it. I have heard that the new carriages are amazing.