“Warm inviting” 4 of 5 bubbles

Becks Southern Alehouse
Ranked #392 of 952 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Bar, New Zealand, Steakhouse, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Warm inviting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Went with 3 people for dinner mid week, the lighting is very poor to read the menu, I was struggling to see it.Dinner menu is small but ok. My guests had the Blue Cod which was generous and cooked well. My meal of chicken was Luke warm and my veges cold, the staff replaced them with piping hot fresh ones. Wait staff were very good and attentive. The wait staff were the best thing of the restaurant.

• Visited June 2013

Christchurch, New Zealand
“Fabulous Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

My wife and I booked a table for 7.00pm yesterday (a Saturday). When we arrived it was full. We got seated promptly and were given enough time to settle before the waiter approached - he was very pleasant,knowledgeable and had a great memory taking our initial order without writing it down (as he did all night and got the order all right confirming what we ordered each time)The starters were great - calamari and tomato and capsican soup with a side of garlic bread. A good time of rest afetr the starter the mains came - I was a little concerned I was given no steak knife for my order of Eye Fillet steak (which the waiter admitted he got it wrong) but in no way did I need it as it was simply the BEST steak of any kind I have ever eaten and it just melted away . My wife had the Belly Pork which was also superb. As it was a celebration for my birthday we also ordered a desert - I had a Chocolate Ice Cream Sundae which looked small but was not once I started eating it. My wife had the last Creme Brulee (as the waiter was not sure if they had any left but luckily they did) As with all the other food it was excellent. We finished off with a liquer coffee each and finally paid. we told the staff member how much we thoroughly enjoyed the food and service but he said they had had one of those nights with several complaints - we were astounded as we could not understand why?
The atmosphere was a busy pub like atmosphere which we like rather than too quiet -overall a GREAT dining experience.

• Visited June 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Jellytip Cheesecake - yum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Hubby and I really enjoyed dinner here. The service was friendly and they were intrusive. There were too many people there when we arrived but it was only 6.30pm. Hubby raved about his steak which could have been cut with a bread knife. I had fish of the day and that was cooked to perfection. I had the jellytip cheesecake for - yummm!! and hubby had apple crumble.
Both hubby and I highly recommend a visit. And while waiting for your food, have a wee wonder around and look at the photographs of Christchurch from yesteryear - very cool.

• Visited March 2013
Christchurch
“Becks on Easter Sunday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Really enjoyed a nice quiet Easter Sunday evening meal here with friends - not many people in and no surcharge!! Very friendly and efficient service. The eye fillet steak was cooked to 'medium' perfection and the blue cod wrapped in bacon was an interesting combination and very tasty. A refreshing change not to have a meal offering 'salad or fries' - a well presented and enjoyable meal with nice vegetables. Much more extensive menu than expected - certainly not just a 'pub meal'.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Joan M
Christchurch
“Terrible service, not a nice meal”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

We went for a meal with 3 adults one child we waited for nearly an hour between courses not good when you have a hungry child. When we complained we were told that there computer system got confused because we ordered Breads and dips and an entree meal as main, what a joke. After complaining we were finally given an apology and told two of our meals were on the house. Must say food was not good which was a shame because have been to this place on serveral occasions and really enjoyed the food. Not this time was overall not good.

• Visited March 2013