“Great coach, professional, enjoyable.”

Discovery Travel Day Tours
Ranked #19 of 96 Tours in Christchurch
More attraction details
Owner description: Christchurch based tour operator offering small group, day tours to Akaroa, Waipara wineries, Arthurs Pass, Kaikoura, and Hanmer Springs, giving you a very personalized tour. Cruise ship tours from Akaroa are also available. Activities such as whale watching, swimming with dolphins, TranzAlpine Train, thermal pools, spa treatments, jet boating, and wine tastings are all on offer. Private charters for 2 people to 200 people are also available.
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I booked the Waipara winery tour as a farewell day for the boss who was retiring. 16 people booked with zero hassle and a great itinerary organised. we upgraded from a platter to a lunch at Waipara Winery and wow what a lunch - very generous portions and delicious! The coach is outstanding - super clean, comfy, air con, curtains etc so the hot sun was no problem. John the driver was discreet, friendly and let us do things at our own pace - which in our case meant we took much longer at the first stop than we should have. Prompt professional service and a great day for our group. Highly recommend for a company day out.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

After arranging our tour with Jo, we were lucky to be met in Akaroa by John Gilbert who was our driver and guide for the day. John's knowledge of the area is vast and his friendliness and enthusiam are even greater. He loves his native New Zealand and wanted to share as much as he could with us. Our day was busy but not rushed; there were numerous stops for photos and scenic views. John was careful of time constraints and yet no request made of him by any of our party was too much for him. I should comment too, that he is an exceptionally carful driver, something you will appreciate when you experience the terrain. We stopped at a sheep farm in the morning on our way to Christchurch. It was a delightful experience and well worth the admission fee. The South Island beauty is incredible and filled us with wonder. However, Christchurch shows devistation and the precariousness of mankind in the modern world, I am so glad we were there even though it left a lingering feeling of sadness. On the way back, John again took us through some beautiful countryside which was helpful in restoring our equilibrium. The journey ended with a short tour of the quaint town of Akaroa. A wonderful day with an charming guide. I highly recommend John as "your" guide with Discovery.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I had previously gone on the Waipara winery tour with John in January, so when family and friends came to visit in September, I was keen on something more intimate and special. I contacted Discovery Day Travel Tours about a private winery tour for 7 people, finishing with lunch (at our own expense) at Pegasus Bay winery. We chose three other wineries, they quoted me a price and presto, it was a done deal.

We got to ride in their new spacious van, and our first stop was Waipara Springs. We finished there a bit ahead of schedule, so John was flexible and suggested we add a stop at Greystone on the way. We also stopped at Terrace Edge and Mudstone / Waipara Hills before our final destination at Pegasus Bay where we had a fantastic and leisurely lunch.

If you are a larger group don't hesitate to book this sort of trip, the company is very flexible in organizing the trip that YOU want at a very attractive price point. We have seen several hen parties planned this way as well! Definitely recommend!

Reviewed November 28, 2013

fantastic day out October 5th , we were picked up from our motel on time and during our 2 hour drive the driver pretty much gave us a guided tour of the whole drive. we arrived at kaikora a little early so he took us up the hill and showed us some fantastic views and even took some nice photos of my wife and I together. we had paid for lunch and we were not disappointed with where we were taken excellent food and drink, I recommend discovery travel to everyone who is heading to new Zealand. thank you.

2  Thank nigelm1971
Reviewed November 24, 2013

What a Fabulous day we had doing the Waipara Wine Tour.
Our driver was super friendly and the service was fantastic !

I would recommend this tour to group/ work place.

10/10 from me!!