“warm and welcome stay with puppy bonus”

and 1 more site!
Lilac Rose Boutique Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 132 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Bern, Switzerland
“warm and welcome stay with puppy bonus”
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

we stayed in this wonderful b&b for three nights and felt very welcome. we had the garden room which has a huge bathroom right next to it. the house if tastefully decorated, pam and denins are excellent hosts. yummy hot breakfast cooked every morning. there is no internet reception in the garden room, but you can use the comfy lounge to get that facebook fix. and then there is maddie, the adorable 6 month old retriever pup who will brighten your stay at the lilac rose. thank you so much for making us feel at home, pam and dennis.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Strathalbyn, Australia
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Just got back from 12 wonderful days in NZ's South Island and have to say that Lilac Rose B&B was absolutely beautiful. We stayed in the Garden Room with private bathroom and I have to say that it was perfect in every way. Pam & Denis are delightful, friendly, considerate and knowledgeable hosts who make you feel that you are welcome friends. Of course their dog Maddie was a great attraction too! Denis's breakfasts were superb, and Pam, I don't know how you keep up the pace and yet manage to look so relaxed. We had 3 nights altogether at this B&B and connot praie it enough. Very highly recommended...and as we said when we left..."We'll be back!" Try and stop us.

Room Tip: I don't think it matters which room you choose, they are all excellent. The Garden Room had pati...
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed with Dennis and Pam in November when we started our trip to South Island, New Zealand. They could not have been more welcoming hosts, nothing was too much trouble for them. We had a beautiful bedroom with a luxurious private bathroom and they provided great breakfasts for us. We were there during the period the All Blacks were touring the UK and so Dennis and my husband were up at 5.30am to watch one of the matches.Breakfast was served on time despite our host's early start! Dennis took us to the motor home depot to pick up our van. I left my camera in his car and so he returned 30 minutes later to give it back to me. There's service for you. Their puppy is adorable and the garden, when we were there was a mass of roses. It's a great B&B.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Malaysia
Reviewed January 22, 2013

When I first arrived at The Lilac Rose, the first thing that struck me was just how beautiful the place was! Everything was just so pretty and well-maintained, from the flowers at the gate to the garden to the front porch. I couldn't wait to spend my 2 nights here in the Garden Room!

Pam and Denis were there to greet us when we walked in. The interior of the B&B, such as the walls and corridors, were also exquisitely decorated. There was so much attention paid to detail! Pam showed us to our room, which was extremely clean and well-furnished as well. The bed was really plush-looking and very inviting and comfortable. We were also shown our bathroom, which was really luxurious, spacious and well-equipped with "his and her" sinks, heated towel racks, amazing shower, and space heaters. The decor and ambience of the entire place just really rivaled even the best 5-star hotels we'd ever stayed at!

Our room had double doors that led to a patio and the garden. This was convenient for smokers like my husband. There was also the spa bath outside, which we didn't have time to use, but looked really nice and was quite popular with the other guests. The room itself was not very spacious, but spacious enough for two, and very clean and comfortable. I loved the walk-in shower in the bathroom which had Linden Leaves products for guests to use. In fact, I fell completely in love with the products and went to get some for myself.

One of the highlights of our stay here was the cooked breakfast that Pam and Denis prepared for us in the kitchen every morning. My husband and I both had the English breakfast with scrambled eggs, toast, and mushrooms. They were delicious! It was delightful being able to have breakfast in their fantastic kitchen which, like the rest of the B&B, was also well-decorated and had such a homely feel. This was also where we spent most of our time chatting with the other B&B guests, sharing experiences and thoughts about New Zealand and other places. There was also no set time for breakfast, which was great because it meant we could wake up and get ready at our own time with no hurry.

The location of the B&B was good. Although we drove everywhere, we were fully aware that it was walking distance to some eateries and shops nearby. It was located in a quiet neighbourhood, so you know you'll get some peace and rest here.

However, there were a few things about the B&B which made me give a 4-star instead of a 5-star rating. Firstly, my husband and I are both not comfortable with dogs and when I had made the booking months ago, they had informed me that the (previous) dog had passed away so I need not worry about that. However, when we arrived, they informed us that there is now a new dog in the B&B. Because of this, we didn't feel totally at ease during our stay and had to keep making adjustments so that we don't come into contact with the dog. Also, I had a pair of slippers placed on our room floor right beside the door. After coming back from a day of sightseeing, I realised that one of the slippers was missing. We had closed the room doors and windows before going out that day, so we suspected that the dog may have come into the room during housekeeping and taken the slipper then. True enough, I found the missing slipper at the dog's cage in the guest lounge.

Secondly, the bathroom, although for our exclusive and private use, was not directly connected to the room - it was located just outside our room door, along the common corridor. This meant we had to go through two doors to get to the bathroom. Also, it meant less privacy for us, but the owners had foreseen this and prepared some bath robes for our use. This is great hospitality, but I would have preferred an ensuite bathroom to be able to move between the bedroom and bathroom more easily and freely.

Also, although it was lovely to have the rose garden right outside our room, it meant less privacy for us as well as other guests would be walking right outside the room to get to the spa bath. We found that we had to keep closing the curtains whenever we wanted to change in and out of clothes.

Thirdly, we were driving a rental car around NZ and had to park along the main street outside the B&B as there was no place to park within the B&B's premises. On our last day, right after checking out, we were shocked to find that some vandals had smashed our right side mirror during the night and thrown the glass shards onto the road some distance away. It was clearly a deliberate act, due to the way the side mirror had been broken. This really dampened our spirits and was a nasty way to end our stay in NZ. I also had to pay a hefty amount to the rental car company because of this, despite having insurance.

Despite the above, The Lilac Rose really is a great place to stay. I badly want to give it a 5-star rating but can't because of the problems mentioned above. The place really has a personality and charm of its own. It really felt like being in someone's home, instead of a hotel.

Room Tip: For guests who want an ensuite bathroom, book the Mulberry Room. For guests who are bringing in heav...
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We only had a night at the Lilac Rose, it was decorated to perfection and the house itself was very well maintained. It lives up to its 'boutique' description. Wonderful beds, a warm welcome and a freshly made coffee in the morning was just what we needed. The extra touch was the most wonderful golden retriever puppy - so adorable. Freshly baked cookies and muffins on arrival was also excellent.

• Stayed January 2013
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We loved NZ and we stayed 3 nights in this excellent B&B. I felt as if Pam and Denis were good friends, and they were helpful in every way possible from recommending restaurants to directions. We looked forward to breakfast which consisted of amazing eggs, bacon, juice, great coffee, hash browns and the best tomato sauce which my daughter still raves about. The gardens were so beautiful and the flowers, hedges and garden design look like something out of a glossy magazine. The rooms were so beautiful and every detail from the shampoo and conditioner to pillows were perfect Their pets Maddy and Minx were gorgeous and friendly and the teens we travelled with also adored everything about the B&B. I wish I could give this B&B a higher rating than the highest it has because Pam and Denis have really raised the bar on this Gem! I'd recommend this B&B to everyone...and we will be back for sure.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We had a great stay at Lilac Rose's Attic Room! The room was super clean and very well decorated with what looked to be brand new furniture, and the breakfast is without a doubt the best breakfast we have ever had at a B&B!