“Be Warned - Don't Stay here”
Review of Tui Lodge Motel

Tui Lodge Motel
Ranked #119 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed here one night when accomodation in Christchurch was impossible to find. Very old and basic Motel -badly in need of refurbishment - carpet in our unit worn in one place to bare weaving under neath. Black mould/ dirt in and around shower and loo - electric blankets barely heated up and the heaters were so old they were positively dangerous. The heat pump, once it was coaxed to put out a bit of heat, nearly choked us with the smell of burning dust! And so loud we turned it off. To add to our woes we discovered that the shower produced a mere lukewarm trickle, hardly any flow at all. On going to complain we discovered the guest in the room next to us bitterly upset that her shower did not work at all, and the motelier busy telling her that she did not know how to work it! Come on motelier - not a great impression - budget does not mean dirty as we found it and things may be old, but they should still work properly!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 14, 2013

caught going through my stuff walked into my room while I was still in. on final night was very nasty at 10pm at night I stay in a lot of motels with my job but would never recommending this one. no toys. freezing room
Im taking further action as have information this isn't the first

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Wow...I was so impressed with the hospitality here. clean room, freeview and sky tv with HD, Excllent service. Heat pump does not work, but the host gave us two different type heaters, that make the romm pretty warm and comfortable at the chilly nights. thanks a lot

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hank T
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I needed accommodation for three adults close to Bishopdale, and this motel hit the spot. We were halfway between the city and the people we were visiting.

The room is small and basic, but I expected that for the price. The beds were pretty hard, but we actually slept well. The first night was hard to get to sleep because of the traffic noise, but didn't notice it after that.

The biggest issue was a lack of hotpoints in the kitchen. We had to keep unplugging things to use the appliances. There was a dodgy light in the bathroom, that after it made a horrible noise it blew the fuse and we lost all lights. The host came over immediately (after 10pm), and got things up and running.

Bathroom was very clean, and the shower was one of the best I've used in a motel.

Friendly host, and the motel served the purpose without costing a fortune.

Room Tip: Probably stay further away from the road if you want a quieter night.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RoseStevens
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Accommodation in Chch was almost booked out and this was 1 of 3 motels/hotels left - I should have guessed something was up. It was cheapish ($130) so my expectations were reasonably low. It was very basic, the towels were incredibly hard, decor was dated, tv was up high almost on the ceiling, milk was provided in a very small jug (another first for me).

The one noticeable good point was there was very nice clean, soft white sheets.

Would I stay again? No

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We were greeted by the friendly manager who showed us to a unit close to the main road.
What's good
Location,price, clean, cooking facilities and good powerful shower.small bed was soft and bouncy but comfortable big bed was hard but comfortable.Friendly staff member

Not so good.
Really dated decor, sandpaper towels, noisy road which is quite from 3am till 5am,

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank RogertheDog
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Lovely photos BUT!!
The single room had no curtain and was damp and freezing (no heater located in that room). It was so COLD that one of my children had to instead have the queen bed in what was meant to be the double room and share with her sister in another single bed located in same room. My partner and myself slept in the lounge on a couch that made up into a bed (very uncomfortable). Heat Pump did not work properly, but we instead used the wall heater in bedroom to try and heat the whole unit. WORST is the shower......it was surrounded in thick mould and the shower plug/cap was so filthy that I refused to shower in it. When I lifted it out it was covered in slime/mould and hair. We told Managers of our disgust re the mould. Health Department would be horrified if they saw the state of the shower unit. Not recommended!!

Room Tip: Dont book online if you can avoid.......instead book face to face. Plenty of Motel accomodation in C...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family