“Good value for money”

Ranked #118 of 145 Hotels in Christchurch
Sydney, Australia
“Good value for money”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I think it comes down to expectations here. Another reviewer has discredited this place for what it doesn't have, but fails to see what it does have and what you get for your money.

I believe I got exactly what I paid for at Tui Lodge: a good night's sleep in a basic motel room close to the city. All the rooms are ground floor so I felt safe enough and although a 5.2 mag aftershock occurred during my first night here I wasn't concerned - nothing fell off the walls/shelves and I knew I could make a run for the door if neccessary!

The conveniences here were what I really appreciated. Free shuttle bus to the train station for catching the TranzAlpine was great, and the airport shuttle to and from my flights was quick and hassle free. The Warehouse is just across the road and a few more shops just a block away so I could pick up some groceries to keep me going. I caught a taxi back from the city one afternoon for $12. The managers/owners are lovely and helpful.

My only complaint would be having to pay for the internet. I have enjoyed free wifi in other motels, but here the voucher system was annoying as I used a lot. Still, the room was cheaper than I could find elsewhere even taking into account paying for the internet. So I was very happy with my stay here.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank comPassionateLens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed December 17, 2011

THe studio unit we stayed in was small beter suited for one person not a couple and the kitchen was no bigger than a closet but he bed was comfortable and sun was welcome in the afternoon,carparking was a bit cramped but the motel itself was very well located and away from the traffic noise. Staff are very friendly and helpful,we would stay here again but in a 1 bedroom unit.

Room Tip: choose a one bebroom unit not the discounted studio it's okay for 1 person not a couple
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PatMacnz64
Te Aroha
Reviewed April 9, 2011

We booked into this motel for 5 nights via the internet. It claimed to be a 3 star establishment. We escaped after a night's stay, grateful to have the balance of our stay refunded. The unit bore no resemblance to the advertised photos. It was cramped, the paintwork was chipped, the face cloths and bath towel discoloured, furniture ancient and old fashioned, the kitchen fittings were similarly disappointing and not even the glasses matched. The only saving grace was the sweet couple managing the establishment who were very apologetic about the condition of the unit. We were very, very glad to leave and luckily found a top notch motel nearby for very little extra cost. We travel regularly throughout NZ and this is our first bad experience.

Room Tip: Check the local back packers first.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Christchurch hotels