“Clean, comfortable and friendly owner”
Review of City Centre Motel

City Centre Motel
Ranked #27 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed here one night on arrival to New Zealand. We chose it based on trip advisor reviews and it didn't disappoint. The owner was lovely and gave us a lot of advice and also phoned the free shuttle to arrange a pick up for the next morning to the train station to get the Tranzalpine train to Greymouth. The room was pre heated for our arrival and had a lovely big bed with clean modern bathroom. Very nice motel, would recommend. (also the Indian restaurant down the road was still open at 9pm and was delicious!)

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mandeem00
There are newer reviews for City Centre Motel

Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed two nights here.Personal service from Tina and Mary, who were super helpful. We had a ground floor unit, next to the car park, and it was very quiet. the bathroom has been updated, and was nice. Location was central, and we were told of the areas cordoned off for renovation after the earthquake.
Great value for money as well. Glad we found you!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Bollywoodqueen
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Very pleasant and friendly staff. Room was noisy due to proximity to parking area. Location very good.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Roger G
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Well done, City Centre Motel!!!

From the very first contact by email, I had nothing but friendly and helpful communication ... nothing was too much trouble ... I felt as though I was talking with friends. The experience only deepened when I arrived to check in several weeks later and was greeted with the warmest of welcomes and shown to my immaculate room (heated in anticipation of my arrival & much appreciated on a very cold day).

I was very impressed with every aspect of the presentation, standard & presentation of the room facilities ... 4.5 star! The spotless bathrooms and attention to detail (makeup removal sachets etc), electric blankets on the bed, daily housekeeping, newspapers and many small thoughtful extras had me feeling that I was in a home away from home ... just what every traveller values.

During my stay I travelled away for a short while and was fortunate to be able to leave my very large suitcase with my hosts ... without any qualms whatsoever ... until my return 48 hours later. When I returned I had need of a different style of room and I can say that the quality of this second room was, if anything, higher than the first!

Tina and her staff are to be commended on their great personalities, professional "can do" way of engaging with their guests (I saw this first hand with other guests also), trustworthiness and reliability. Their standards could, in my opinion, be used as a benchmark for anyone in the hospitality industry at large and I rate and commend the Central City Motel to anyone visiting Christchurch.

On a final note ... I extend my heartfelt support to the people of Christchurch who are suffering ongoing trauma and loss after the earthquakes that changed your lives and beautiful city so harshly. Be strong ... you are special.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Claire M
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I spent one night here in February of 2012. After travelling for 24 hours, it was a lovely and relaxing stopping point before starting a 13 day bike trip.

The owner was wonderful. She went out of her way to help me get where I was going.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank shoshannarobin
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We stayed at City Centre Motel in Christchurch for 2-nights in March during a tour of New Zealand. We had booked a studio apartment on the internet a number of months in advance of our visit. On arrival we met Carol in reception who showed us to studio 1 on the ground floor and gave us maps and a carton of fresh milk which is a nice touch.

The apartment was on the ground floor near reception and was well equipped with a small kitchenette (microwave, fridge and sink), dining table and a small sofa. The bathroom had good supplies and the shower had seemingly endless hot water. There is also an onsite laundry with driers which is very useful when travelling and also an outside clothes line for guests to use.

The centre of Christchurch has been devastated although a lot of work has been undertaken in clearing up and demolishing buildings. The Botanic gardens and museum are still open though.

As an aside, despite the fact that Christchurch has endured 4 big earthquakes in the past 2-years, City Centre Motel has not been remotely damaged by any of them and remains a safe place to stay. I was a bit surprised that there was no instructions for what to do if an earthquake occurred during a stay at the Motel and the guide to the area in the room has clearly not been updated as nearly if not all of the restaurants have either closed or been relocated following the earthquakes.

However although the room was compact it had everything needed for a very comfortable stay and in spite of the devastation in the city we had a pleasant time at the City Centre Motel in Christchurch.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EmmaDurnford
Reviewed April 13, 2012

After the devastating earthquakes in Christchurch, there is a minor reduction in the amount of accommodation available. Thankfully, our group of four travellers stumbled on this gem. The rooms are nice, the motel is within walking distance of the city centre and the rates were very reasonable. What made the difference for us was the proprieter/manager, Tina. She went out of her way to make our stay enjoyable and comfortable and all of her tips on where to go and where to eat were spot on. Good service is becoming increasingly rare in this busy world, but this is definitely a motel I'll come back to.

• Stayed: April 2012