I chose this place because it has a free transport service from/to the airport, which is surely nice.
Receptionists are friendly enough. That's why two stars.
However, as for the facility itself, I will never recommend this to others.
- The doors are heavy and they literally bang when closing, unless you're aware of it and close them very carefully. The bang is so big that the whole building shakes.
- The hostel is facing a main road. Even with the windows closed, you can clearly hear the traffic noise all night.
- Room i stayed was clean, but the bed linens were very old and they smelled!!!!
I paid for a private room because I knew I was going to be tired after a long trip and I wanted to have a quiet sleep. Because of all the factors above, I could not sleep at all. At one point my body was really itchy. I thought it's got bed bugs. Maybe it was not bed bugs, but it just smelled so bad that I almost guessed so.
There is another backpackers just 50m away. I stayed there too and it was really nice, clean, and quiet. It doesnt have transport service to the airport, but you can always take public bus which only costs $7.5 as opposed to $50 taxi which is written in Kiwi basecamp website, as if taxi is the only way to get there. I think it's not worth staying here to just save the $7.5 bus fee.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Kiwi Basecamp, we are situated on Bealey Avenue not far from Hagley Park we are an easy 15/20 minute walk from the center of town. Kiwi Basecamp has a variety of room options from Dorms, shares, singles, doubles and Triple rooms, all bedding provided, we are a cosy hostel, we have hot showers, bathrooms, kitchens,sunny deck area and T.V lounge, we have a book exchange a variety of movies and games, The staff are friendly and knowledgeable about the local area as well as New Zealand and are always here to help. We are located next to Victoria Street where you can relax in one of the many cafes and bars, You are a 15 minute walk from Merivale shopping center there you will find a variety of shops banks and a supermarket, we are about 15/20 mins from the center of town and close to bus stops also ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your KIWI basecamp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kiwi Basecamp Hotel Christchurch