“Fine French dining”

Ranked #21 of 1,103 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: St Germain was opened in September 2008 by French brothers Frederic and Vincent. Born and raised in Brittany, the brothers aim to provide you a real French dining experience using local products in an elegant and cosy atmosphere. St Germain's diversity makes it the perfect place to enjoy food and wine, whether you would like to share a fabulous meal with friends, for a romantic dinner, or when dining with a larger group. We can cater for all.
Reviewed September 20, 2013

On the basis of Tripadvisor mentions I booked with friends while back in the old hometown and was more than pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food, the amazing selection of mainly French wines and the impeccable service. From traditional French onion soup to a venison dish with rich thick saucing and young vegetables it was a high quality experience.

1  Thank troppodon

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Came late at 9, but still weren't rushed, we were offered a quiet drink before dinner which was greatly appreciated after a hurried change into restaurant attire in hotel loo while watching all blacks v South Africa. Not many restaurants would offer a pre-dinner drink that late, and then bring yummy tapenade entree. No rush, no rudeness, no hurry, plus an authentic French accent!
Seafood bourride was 9.5/10, escargots didn't travel out of France and do the journey across the world too well but the sauce was yummy.8/10
Filet en croute was excellently cooked and presented, make sure to remove all excess salt, 9/10, and probably the best steak in a lot of restaurants. Duck a l'orange was divine, baby veg, yummy.9/10
Piece d'resistance, we shared a Crepes suzette, thoughtfully presented on two separate plates, and just yummmmmmmmmmmmmm, 12/10 for the taste and presentation and thoughtfulness.
Excellent service throughout, fabulous food, brilliant experience, 10/10 for the whole experience.

2  Thank Pauline R
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had my first experience at St Germain last Saturday night. What a wonderful place. Great food, service and such a pleasant setting. Well worth the effort if you want a nice, refinded evening out.

1  Thank Tony N
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I wasn't too sure about the location of the restaurant being in a motel, but once you get there you completely forget that, it has a nice atmosphere inside. The service was brilliant - lovely kir royales and the food and cheeseboard were so tasty - the waiter even explained each cheese and told us where we might buy some in christchurch!

Also they must have overheard that it was our anniversary and gave us a little extra something at the end of the meal, very thoughtful. Pure indulgence and we will definitely be back. Thank you St Germain x

1  Thank Abi43
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have to admit that this my favourite restaurant. It is so consistently good. I took my Mum and some family members there to celebrate her 70th birthday. The menu had some nice changes since I was last there. I had the Brie Soufflé with poached pear for entrée, which was delicious. My main was duck à l'orange, which is always good. We had a bottle of Bordeaux wine. The wine selection is very extensive with a nice mix of French & New Zealand wines. The restaurant was full when we were there on a Friday night, so it definitely pays to book. Wonderful experience!!

1  Thank blackcap