Now, after reading the other great reviews complimenting the staff's hospitality, I must be quite unlucky to have encountered one or two black sheep of the staff during my stay with a very different experience.
These were my encounters:
1) To be fair, check in was good. Smooth and quick. We were also told what we need to know eg free 3 hours wifi, where breakfast is, where we could grab a couple of drinks etc.
2) Unfortunately, we were not told that this is a strictly non-smoking hotel and that smoking in rooms will cause a fine of NZ$300. Apparently, the staff said that it's mentioned on the hotel's website etc but it must be have been quite inconspicuous if so. It was also not mentioned in the booking forms and other more apparent mediums - not everyone made bookings through the hotel's website now with plenty booking engines around. Point being, if this is such a big deal, and if the staff could take the time to tell us about the free wifi, where to have breakfast etc, it wouldn't hurt to remind guests about their non-smoking policy upon check in yes?
Nonetheless, we recognize it's a mistake on our part and understand that we need to pay a fine (which they "reduced" to NZ$100 for "cleaning fees" even though no apparent cleaning, in the room or ventilation was noticed). It was the staff's delivery of this news and handling of the matter that was much to be desired.
My dad, a 65 year old man, was told off by a 20-30 year old girl at the reception about smoking in the room like a 5 year old child who stole cookies from the cookie jar. She could have exercised a lot more tact and respect. We were guests after all.
I wonder if our "holiday" (read: relaxed and perhaps, a little shabby to some) dress code had anything to do with it. But then again, we ARE on holiday and we ARE paying guests.
3) Last encounter (thank God). It was 10.15pm. I needed wifi password. I called the reception and must have been on hold for 20 minutes. No exaggeration. My brother who was in the lobby, came up to the room and saw that i was on the phone, said "oh, so you are the one making the phone ring non-stop. don't bother, there's no one at the reception anyway". How can the reception counter be unmanned for a good 20 minutes? 10.15pm is not peak hour but certainly not late enough to assume that all guests are asleep and thus, no need for service!
When finally someone picked up the phone, i said "Thank God, I'm from room XXX and I've been holding for 20 minutes for the reception to tell my a wifi pass word!" to which I got a reply "I'm from reception and have been trying for the last 10 minutes to call a cab. this hotel sucks!". Wow, that coming from a staff of the hotel?!?
Anyhows, the rest of the hotel is fine, location, rooms, cleanliness etc. So if you don't require much service, i guess The Marque is a good choice. Otherwise, be warned that not each and every of the staff there have the same high service standards that others have been raving about.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rendezvous Hotel Christchurch, located in the heart of the city, provides modern and stylish accommodation for the savvy business traveller and leisure guest, at an affordable price. Offering clean, contemporary design, Rendezvous Hotel Christchurch is a place where you can work at your peak. Use the latest hassle-free in room technology or relax in comfort and quiet. When your work is complete reward yourself with a satisfying meal in our restaurant and enjoy great service from people who care. Straits Cafe our 55-seat, fully-licensed restaurant, is located next to our ground floor lobby. Here you'll find an exiting range of contemporary-style dishes showcasing local and seasonal produce. Junction, our lobby bar, serves 60 peopleWe know that you want a hotel with style. Our guest rooms and suites are designed for your comfort, with individually controlled air conditioning, double glazing, amazing views and everything you need to make working a breeze. There's a choice of four room and suite designs. Because your phone and laptop still can't do everything, our efficient business centre is there when you need it and our gym and sauna, help you stay in shape when your are on the road. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Toga Hotels, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Rendezvous Hotel Christchurch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.