“was a bit disappointing”

Dorset House Backpackers
Reviewed February 12, 2013

for the - as we found - high price, we got not much. we had a twin room with shared bathroom. you cant complain about the bathrooms, but our room was bare, not very cosy, it was loud and the bedclothes werent not really clean. we stayed there only one night, so it was ok, but for a longer stay, we cant recommend it. staff girl was friendly

3  Thank MouStefan
DorsetHouseChch, Manager at Dorset House Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Hello,
Thank you very much for reviewing us, and for your constructive comments. I am sorry to hear that you had problems with noise – Dorset House is generally a quiet hostel, and we don’t attract the ‘party types’. Our owners live on site and will monitor noise levels.

I am also alarmed to read that you had concerns regarding cleanliness – we take this extremely seriously. Dorset House was assessed by Qualmark, New Zealand’s hotel quality authority, last month. We were awarded a four-star rating for 2013, with the assessor commenting on the excellent cleanliness of the hostel. If you found that this was not your experience I am concerned – I will be sharing your comments with the housekeeping team.

I am glad that you found our staff to be friendly, and that you found the bathrooms of a high standard. We renovated the hostel in 2012 and we have included treats such as LCD tvs in all private rooms, and free WiFi vouchers for all guests. We do appreciate all of our guest feedback, as it helps us to continually improve. I would welcome further feedback at – angela@dorset.co.nz.

We wish you the best for your travels,

Regards
Angela, Manager
Dorset House

There are newer reviews for Dorset House Backpackers

Reviewed January 12, 2013

After the big earthquake, the lodging options are somewhat limited in Christchurch. Dorset House provides a quiet backpackers lodge with an old world charm. We stayed there twice and enjoyed both stays. We first had a double room downstairs and found it roomy and cool. the second stay we had a double upstairs that was much smaller and cramped but still a good value. the location is right on the park and easy walking distance to the Restart mall, botanical gardens, smash palace, etc. the buses will take you anywhere easily and cheaply. The reception hours were limited and the kitchen was quite small but serviceable and their were nice gardens and deck. The lounge was roomy and comfortable and wifi was included. I would recommend this place for budget travelers who want a quiet place, near the park, and with some character.

Room Tip: ask for a double downstairs or facing east
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jarsteve
DorsetHouseChch, Manager at Dorset House Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Hi, thank you very much for your kind comments on your stay at Dorset House. We're really glad you enjoyed your visit and appreciate your taking the time to review. We wish you all the best with your travels, kind regards, Dorset House

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed here a couple of nights in a double room on two separate occasions. Lovely quiet clean hostel with character as its over hundred years old. Rooms are spacious and homely, Plenty of bathrooms too. Both Kitchen and lounge room are nice and spacious and there is also Free WiFi. Ample parking space out the back as well. Close to everything like parks and square. Only thing I would say that needs improvement is an emergency after hours number. The reception is only manned from 8am to 6pm after which anyone arriving late is left an envelope with your name and key either pinned to the outside door or on reception hatch. First night we were there a couple of travelers one of which was a lady in her 70's ended up sleeping in the lounge as their envelopes were missing! had there been an after hours emergency number then that problem could of been sorted. After that incident I made sure we were back in Christchurch before 6pm on our second visit! Having said that I would still stay here again as its such a lovely place.

2  Thank skippyed67

Hi, I wanted to write and thank you for taking the time to review us. We're really glad you enjoyed your stay, and even happier that you came back for a second visit. Thanks for your positive comments on the house's character and charm, and that you enjoyed your room. <p>
We also appreciate your constructive comments on the late arrival procedure. Our system is has been in place for several years and works very well, with access information being issued in advance of a guest's stay. Our owners do live at Dorset House and keep a close eye on this as well. Unfortunately on this occasion a couple of things went wrong at once, a rare occurrence that resulting in guests being locked out. Not ideal at all and certainly a problem we took full responsibility for. We contacted the two guests involved and made amends for our mistake - we've also reviewed our reception checks as a result. <p>
Thanks so much for being willing to discuss it with us - we appreciate all of our feedback as it helps us improve. With best regards, Dorset House.

Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on arriving in christchurch and what a good choice I made.

Location is right bang opposite hagley park and there are a few restaurants and cafe's nearby along with petrol station etc.

Reception staff were attentive and very friendly, there is a car park at the rear so no charges etc.

Our room was really nice it was extremely clean and light and there were towels on the bed and we were opposite the front garden so really nice flowers etc. I looked at a previous review saying thin walls etc etc but to be honest for the price we paid and how clean, lovely and welcoming it was it was no problem and after being in australia for a month and having met so many loud rude travellers this place was a welcome restbite.

Shower lovely and hot and in terms of the house itself it was like staying in an d manor house it was lovely, there was a massive living room with a tv and DVD, Internet, pool table,

Kitchen was a nice size and very clean and all the people staying there were very friendly. You are given 100mb free wifi to use also.

We are staying here again shortly on the way back to christchurch and already looking forward to it. Don't stay anywhere else!

FYI - it's about 5 minutes in the car to the main centre although some main parts of the city are still sectioned off after the earthquake from the years before the reception advised me so didn't visit as what we needed was right where we were.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank mitchandsheyla
DorsetHouseChch, Manager at Dorset House Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Hi,
Thank you very much for reviewing your stay at Dorset House. I'm really glad to read that it met all your needs and that you enjoyed your stay, we really appreciate you taking the time to tell others about your experience. We wish you well for the rest of your holidays, kind regards, Dorset House.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I contacted Dorset House when I was looking for somewhere to stay during a 10-day visit to the city for work. They were incredibly helpful from the very beginning providing me with information about public transport etc. which helped me to plan my trip. When I arrived I was greeted by a very helpful lady on reception who kindly provided me with information about the area. Aside from being a great location near to the University of Canterbury, Hagley Park North, the botanic gardens and the pop-up mall (and only 30 mins by bus from the airport – cost $7.50), I felt as though I was staying with friends. I had a compact but cosy double room with a TV. The bathrooms are shared but very clean and the showers were good too. The kitchen was fully equipped and offered a nice space to meet people, along with the lounge. The free internet was excellent! With a couple of great bars nearby (including Smash Palace) and some great places to eat (Vic’s café and a great Thai place just off Victoria St.) – what more do you need? Thanks to everyone at Dorset House – I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay and I hope to be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Katie O

Hi, thanks so much for your kind comments and for taking the time to review your stay at Dorset House. I'm so glad to read that you had a good time here and found our reception team friendly and helpful. (We love Vics cafe too - expecially their bakery - can highly recommend the cinnamon and fruit bagels for $1.90, best breakfast deal in town!). Kind regards and thanks again, Dorset House.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

The shuttle bus took me from the airport to the hostel for 24 NZ$ . The hostel is an old house which has been newly redecorated and refurnished, everything is new and clean. The house has history and caracter. I loved it. The communal area is a large lounge with lots of seats, a pool table, a computer, a large flat TV screen and lots of movies to watch .
Free WiFi !

The kitchen is big enough and clean . You can eat outside on a sunny day, very pleasant.

The dorms don't have bunk bed, just single beds, which is much nicer. They are not overcrowded either as you have a maximum of 5 beds in each dorm. They also have single or double rooms.

The shared bathrooms are also clean.

I was happy with my stay at the Dorset house, the staff is very friendly and helpful. There is a tour desk . The other people I met there were very chilled out. We spent hours talking . People pick up after themself , the place is always tidy and clean.

The location isn't too bad. It's near the park and the botanic garden. The city centre is 10 minutres walk away.

There is nothing negative to say about this hostel. I definitely would recommend it !

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank karendurst

Hi, thanks so much for your feedback and your comments on your stay at Dorset House. We're really glad you enjoyed your stay here. We love the history of the house too, it's 142 years old and one of central Christchurch's original homesteads. It's been everything from a small hospital to a priest's home, and we try to honour that with photos and information on the walls. Thanks for your photos as well - do enjoy the rest of your travels! Best regards, Angela, Dorset House.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here at the start of our trip round the south island, and we're impressed with this smallish back packers, you get 100mb free wifi per night and the staff were helpful and booked trips for us, they also offer a free shuttle to the train station for the trans scenic train which they can book for you.

The kitchen, bathrooms and lounge were all cleaned daily, there were plenty of showers to share between everywhere. Only down side was our room was next to a bathroom and there was a sign saying don't use after 1030 at night but nothing about not using it at 5am in the morning and the walls are quite thin so you can hear a lot!

The backpackers is very central and you can get the number 29 bus from the airport, victoria street where there are lots of pop up bars is also round the corner.

All in all a great find!

1  Thank Afw1980

Hi, thanks for taking the time to review us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and were impressed with the house, Dorset House is quite central and the public bus to the airport is a 2 minute walk from us.
Thanks also for your comments regarding the use of adjoining showers at night. We've noted this and we have amended the sign to ask guests not to use that particular bathroom from 10.30pm until 7.00am so that guests in the adjoining bedroom aren't disturbed at night.
We've also added to the sign directions to the other showers at Dorset House that aren't near bedrooms (there's plenty of these) and that can be used in the middle of the night with no problem. :) Thanks so much for giving us this feedback, we appreciate it. All the best with your travels from the team at Dorset House.