“If you're after a real Japanese meal, must try this”

Kinji Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 1,031 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I thought that Kinji would be in the city centre, but not so! It is about 6km from the centre of the city. If you’re a visitor to Christchurch, you need a car to get there. But I was glad that I made the effort to find it! It was a suburb Japanese fix that did not disappoint.
When we arrived at 6pm, it was still very quiet. We didn’t make a booking and it obviously was fully booked for Monday night so the waitress politely asked us whether we would be able to finish by 7:30pm. Not a problem! After sitting down, I heard the chef chatting with 2 customers sitting at the counter in Japanese. A good sign! We’re likely to be enjoying authentic Japanese flavours.
We ordered the following dishes from “chef’s suggestion” – “sea eel and shitake tempura”, “groper and alfonsino sashimi”, and “venison tataki”
What made this meal special is the pleasing flavours those new combinations delivered for me.
I have eaten plenty of eels before, always grilled and on top of rice. This one is different, the fresh sea eel is lightly coated in tempura batter and fried, I really love the aroma, texture, and taste of sea eel and mushroom.
I have never tried groper and alfosino before, what a great way to be introduced to it by having it raw. The meat is sweet yet has a slight crunch to it. It is another winner.
Although I have tried venison previously, never takaki, so this is another new experience. I am surprised that it doesn’t taste gamey at all and the takaki is as tender as the softest veal.
From the normal menu we ordered a bento box and two chawan mushi. Both are standard dishes we can find in other Japanese restaurants around the world except they do it better, more delicate and more flavoursome. I’m really surprised to find a small Japanese restaurant in the suburban Christchurch that delivers such high quality food. It’s worth every penny.

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

We wanted to eat sashimi so I searched the tripadvisor and found this place that's not far from our place and decided to give it a try.

As others said, reserve ahead. We couldn't get a table for 7:30pm seating for Friday so we chose Saturday. Reservation was smooth.

Salmon sashimi was very nice. We ended up ordering 2. Chawanmushi was just ok. King prawn tempura was good. Spider rolls had generous amount of soft shell crabs but sushi was a bit of a let down (not their fault really, I just haven't found a perfect sushi in NZ and Australia yet). Next time I'll get fried soft shell crabs instead. That should be very nice. That was all we had but 3 of us were pretty full and bill came to $87 (incl tea and apple juice). I was telling my husband we should make this our monthly affair. Keeping my fingers cross on that b'cos I will definitely love to eat there again.

1  Thank i_hate_mornings
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Food was great, big variety, but delicate melt in your mouth flavours. Pork belly was so beautifully tender, beef carpaccio artistically presented, and the scallop dish with mushrooms superb.
The ultimate Creme brûlée was crunchy on top, and smooth custard underneath.
Would rate this restaurant in my top 5 ever. Very good value for money, and it's
BYO

1  Thank kiwisisters_12
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We missed authentic Japanese food in Christchurch. This restaurant is great and we really love it here. Reservation is necessary, it is always booked. So maybe 3 to 7 days in advance.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Great casual, relaxed atmosphere with most attentive, helpful and friendly staff. Excellent range of menu and food prepared and served to table promptly. Dinner Bento Box provides good range of dishes including a delightful Miso soup. Venison served as carpaccio was one of the best we have had. Highly recommend.