All reviewstrain stationmotor lodgetrans alpinenext morningroom was cleanlady ownerwithin walking distancegreat place to staymain roadminute walkbusy roadwestfield mallgreat accommodationhagley parklate checkstay there againenjoyed our stay
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

We booked here for the location... Taking 7am train. Station is a couple of minutes away.
We got here early and were given our room as soon as it was clean... Around noon.
Rooms are v clean, with well equipped kitchenette.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We spent our 2nd night in New Zealand at this motel. We chose it because of it's proximity to the railway station. If you have train rides in your itinerary, I would highly recommend this place. Host, Ivana is a lovely lady. Upon arrival, we told her that we had a morning train to catch and she immediately arranged for a free shuttle for us to the station in the morning! Our room was clean, decor is modern and heaters (very impt!) were in the right places! I would definitely come back again!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Three of us stayed 5 nights over Easter in a 2BR apartment. The property is well-located (particularly for our purposes), and was clean and comfortable. Despite being in the front room by a main road, little traffic noise was heard. Bathroom is a decent size, well equipped and modern., in fact all rooms and the kitchenette (2 gas hobs, microwave, pots and pans, crockery and cutlery etc.) were well sized.

The property was completely renovated a few years ago, but the standout is the manager Ivana. We are not demanding guests, but I arrived this trip having left my iphone charger at home. I mentioned it to Ivana and voila!, one iphone charger for me to use for the duration of the stay.

On our previous stay a few years ago we flew into CHC late and arrived at the property towards midnight. None of this 'key under the mat' business, Ivana was waiting up to check us in.

A couple of points which may be negatives for some people but did not bother us).

1) We were in the room for the first two day when it was serviced and the sheets were not changed (not in there the other days so unsure about them). Not unusual for motels in NZ and was not a concern to us for the short stay we had, but if it is to you, check before you book.

2) It appears only wired internet is available which again was not an issue to us, but may bother ipad users. Again, check directly before you book.

I would happily stay here again, and my ratings are in the context of it being a motel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed 2 nights organised, attending the Glenn Frey concert only a short 10 minute walk to the CBS Canterbury Arena.
The accommodation was excellent, roomy, quiet and extremely comfortable. Fully self contained and close to the city centre. The owners were extremely obliging and I would stay there again.
Overall excellent value for money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed just one night, place chosen to be convenient for the early morning Picton train, which it was.

Arrived about 1pm, and asked about touring the earthquake-hit red zone in the centre of town. The lady owner could not have been more helpful. She phoned immediately, got me on the last tour of the day and even got her son to give me a lift there! And then the next morning was up at the crack of dawn to make sure we got our transfer to the station.

Moreover the apartment room was very well appointed, providing scope to cook if you were so inclined, and also providing plenty of tea/coffee options, plus free milk of a type you choose on arrival. No wifi but cable internet worked very well. Room was spotless and the bed very comfortable.

My only issues were unrelated to the accommodation. Someone tried to run me over on a pedestrian crossing (deliberately) nearby, so beware, and the maps that you get from the tourist office show roads that don't exist, which means they are no good for navigating around the train station.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo