“Great food- always!”
Review of Strawberry Fare

Strawberry Fare
Ranked #1 of 17 Dessert in Christchurch
Cuisines: European, New Zealand
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Great food- always!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have been to Strawberry fare a couple of times recently with friends. I do find the current, post earthquake, location does not have the character and ambience of it's previous location But I guess this is not going to be a permanent spot. The food, however, is up to the usual standard. I love the hot smoked salmon and my husband loves the mushroom risotto but all dishes we have tried have met with our approval. the desserts - yes, it is worth going just for dessert. Always fresh, always a great choice, even for celiacs and diabetics and always beautifully presented.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Desserts to Die For!!!”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Everything about this place was excellent. From the cocktails/wine list, through to starters, mains and desserts.....ESPECIALLY desserts! I believe many people just pop in for cocktails and desserts being renowned for the best desserts in Christchurch. Couldn't fault this place. Slightly more expensive than most other places in Christchurch but totally worth it.

• Visited March 2013
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“Thanks for a great night”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We haven't been to Strawberry Fare since before the Earthquakes. I was heartbroken when I found out that they had been damaged and then delighted when I heard they were reopening. Since then I have read a few reviews, and some of them have been less than pleasant, which worried me - what had happened to such a wonderful place? My anniversary with my partner (of 16 years today) came around. I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to find out for myself. My partner rang and booked, and mentioned that it was our anniversary. We arrived and were seated immediately, our waitress, Holly, was charming and looked after us very well. We ordered the Garlic bread to start, which arrived within minutes. It was beautiful, perfectly warmed through, with garlic butter that we could spread on ourselves. Very quickly afterwards we were served our mains - Prime Beef and Duck Confit, which were delicious. I was surprised at how quickly we were served. We hadn't even been there half an hour and we were tucking into our mains. Once we had cleaned our plates, Holly came back to take our dessert orders. She gave us time to choose - which was extremely difficult. Whenever I have eaten at Strawberry Fare in the past, I have always had the Crème Brulee, which is the best I have ever had - I judge all other Brulee's to this standard and not a single one has ever matched up. I have always wanted to try other desserts, but I could never resist the Crème Brulee. I found out that it was in the Chef's daily special and, since there were two other samples, I thought "Perfect!".
It was.
The Thickest, richest chocolate mud cake, along with a New York Cheesecake, and of course, my Brulee. Bliss.
The mud cake was almost too rich, but I discovered that by eating it with small pieces of the slice of orange on my plate, it was delicious. The orange freshened it, and took just the right amount of richness away. The Cheesecake was very lemony - which was weird because the red swirl suggested that it was berry flavoured - and exceptionally smooth.
And then the Crème Brulee.
Oh. Wow.
Smooth and silky. Not eggy. Just sublime. That's really all I can say.
The dessert was served with a lit candle and "Happy Anniversary" written in Chocolate which I thought was just wonderful. I felt truly spoilt.
My partner had a Caramel and Hazelnut torte which I was lucky enough to steal a bite from. Oh it was good. Both of us really enjoyed our night and can't wait to go back.
The only complaint that I would make is that it got a bit noisy when a group arrived and, given the amount of ruckus laughter that was bouncing around the restaurant, were clearly enjoying themselves.
Other than finding it difficult to engage in conversation, it was a fabulous dinner. See you again soon.

1 Thank Shane_and_Louise
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Slack service and small portion”
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Fairly disappointed with the service which was slow and patchy (over an hour between our starter and main). Also generally not attentive - we were never offered any extra drinks after our first round.

The food was ok. The duck confit was tasty but VERY small. The Risotto was tasty and a generous serve.

Atmosphere was slightly lacking and the parking situation was fairly ordinary.

1 Thank Taffyjonah
Auckland, New Zealand
“Overrated. Terrible service”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Was shocked with the level of service. After a prompt greeting from one staff, all downhill from there.
We waited ages to just to get a menu. Another long time for some water. Food was good but for the high price tag, I expected more presentation and flare. Or at least the hot food to be hot.

The place was not packed with many tables being reserved. The speed of the food delivery and service was so slow.

I do like the setting and view. However this place didn't do the basic right

There was also very limited parking to add to an already bad experience.

1 Thank Manaseeker