“Has everything except a view!”

Christchurch TOP 10 Holiday Park
Melbourne, Australia
“Has everything except a view!”
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Great holiday park - handy location to shopping mall ( and great cheap fish & chip shop) . Appreciated the heated amenities block ( inc heated floors ) and great kitchen and laundry facilities. The drive thru check in is pretty cool too, and the kids all seem to love the heated pool. Only thing lacking from the usual Top 10 experience is the beautiful surroundings that are typical of most holiday parks in NZ, this park is in the Christchurch suburbs.

Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Gotigers80
Jag96, Manager at Christchurch TOP 10 Holiday Park, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay in Christchurch. We are sad to hear you did not enjoy our native plantings! but have taken your comments onboard and will keep them in mind as we are due to have a planting project soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Had 3 nights in this park on a powered site. It is a very large site possibly 100 sites for vehicles. We booked in and spoke with a staff member, reception is very large (we didn't go through the 'drive through') with lots of information and big tank of turtles.
We booked a tour of Christchurch, through reception and were quite happy with this. We read the information leaflet and parked up.
During our stay we had 2 days of rain and the showers and toilets adjacent to our pitch were out of action, (I was sympathetic with this but 2 days out of action?) so we had to go across the other side of the park to use the facilities. To my disgust, they were still sending people to park up on sites around us knowing full well the facilities were not in use.
On one morning, I wanted to use the laundry room, before going out for the day. It was advertised that it opened at 7am. at 7.15 I went to the laundry room near our site, not open. Walked across to other laundry room, not open. I saw other people walking around with laundry waiting for the laundry room to open. Reception not open at this time. I went back and forth to the laundry room..finally giving up at 8.10 when neither of the laundry rooms were open.

We were told that there were menu's for local take-aways at reception, I asked at reception and was told that they had 2..the receptionist had no idea what the food was like. When I called one of them, I got a message to say they were closed for 6 weeks.
As I have said, this is a HUGE park and the thing that finally prompted me to give a low rating was ...Once again at reception, I wanted to buy some postcards they had on sale there, I asked if they sold stamps...I was asked, local or international? Of course, being from UK I wanted international. The receptionist told me they don't sell international stamps only local. I asked why, she told me she had NEVER been asked for international stamps before, which I do find unbelievable as it is one of the top Top10 sites. (I have no idea why).
It is not cheap to stay here, and in my opinion, the staff (as it was low season), were far too busy chatting amongst themselves rather than offer a service to the guests. My advice? Book somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank msna
I write in response to your posting. I am wondering if you may be confusing us with another place you stayed at. We do not have turtles or a fish tank in our reception. We don't sell postcards in reception but do sell international stamps on a daily basis.
You mention rain while you were in Christchurch, we did have issues for 2-3 days due to the high rain fall with our toilets. Christchurch's sewage has been severely affected by the earthquake and a high rainfall can mean our toilets may overflow but we do our best to manage this, this has happened just once in probably 12 months.
Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I really couldn't decide whether to give the Top 10 Holiday Park a 2-star rating or a 4-star. Ultimately, I have settled for a 3-star which would do justice to the property all around. Read on to know why! -

Christchurch, is a beautiful city, lovely and vibrant. Our best wishes for a speedy recovery from last year's horrible earthquake..

So, a 1-night halt is sufficient in the city to recover from your long flight, pick up your rental car and shop for groceries before heading out for the amazing South island trip.

WHEN WE STAYED - we stayed for 2 nights in May

BOOKING - the booking process was absolutely fine through emails. We were charged the first nights fee immediately upon booking which is fine. We got the best rate through their website about 2 months before our arrival. Since we were with kids we requested for good rooms, and we got the worst. (More of the room later in the review). We got some good deals on bookme.co.nz for all over NZ, you can see this site. Also try the YHA website for some good deals for members. Room prices are fairly cheap compared to the other options available in Christchurch, so there's a positive.

LOCATION - the location is SUPERB!!... and was basically the ONLY reason we chose this place, and should also be the only reason why you choose this place. It's a 15-min drive from the airport, but located only 4 or 5 minutes away to 2 huge supermarkets PAK n SAVE and COUNTDOWN, as well as a small mall called the Northlands (which, hold your breath, shuts down at 6 pm!!), apart from some cafe's and restaurants, a petrol pump etc. all near this mall.

But, its the fantastic Countdown that you have to visit for an amazing shopping experience and to pick up all your groceries, and the 2-degrees calling card. Its the cheapest with fairly good coverage all over SI. The location is the real deal clincher for this Top 10, if you are willing to overlook all its other faults.

THE HOTEL - is huge and spread out, its more like a hostel with lots of wings in different building, and various kinds of accomodation choice, even a Campervan park, and a small place to wash your car. The car wash I found out later to be just a hose pipe and 2 brushes, badly located right near some steps leading down to a generator room or an electrical room.. It wasn't a proper shed with facilities so the hotel needs to correct this information on its website.

RECEPTION and CHECK-IN - was NOT a pleasant experience with the staff at all times being UNFRIENDLY AND GRUMPY. some other reviews here mention that, and I agree. Carol really needs a lesson in customer service, as do the other staff here. Even the sole gentleman at reception (was he a gentleman now ???) didn't bother to attend to us while we waited for an earlier guest to finish their query.. The plus side of the reception is that they have a fully stocked up section with tons of activity brochures. Check some of these for discounts in CHC!

ROOMS - initially we had booked the Kozi-Kiwis - it turned out to be really kozi so to say. It was TINY for a family!!!. For a couple yes, but again do not expect big beds. We shifted to the bigger motel rooms, paid more, ( the kozi kiwi was about NZ$ 110 per night for 3 persons, while the motel is about 170) and we got the worst motel room in the house - it was on the ground floor just below the staircase, no. 601 or 602 I think it was, but it was TERRIBLE!! Unfurnished, horrible bathroom, and the most average quality room we stayed in our entire NZ trip. The privately managed apartments we stayed in otherwise were fantastic in NZ - Annabelle in Hokitika, Novotel in Q'town. 58 on Cron in Franz Josef, Anchorage in Te Anau, even the YHA purple cow hostel in Wanaka was better!!

The apartment had 1 TV in the living room high up near the ceiling, kitchen facilities, NO soap in the bath, you have to get them from reception, we had to locate our own rooms instead of being shown to them (like the others did), so no basic courtesy there, and the price to pay for the motel rooms is just too much.

This could have been such a great place to stay, but its badly let down by its staff and poor rooms by way of size and furnishing. Jackie has been responding to all the reviews here, but it does not solve any purpose unless you fix these things. We requested over our 3-day stay to meet the management but no one came forward. May 8-9-10.

Internet is very expensive, but there are other facilites to cater to single travellers like a common kitchen, common sitting areas, a TV room etc. Also, the International Antarctic centre free penguin bus comes right inside to pick you up and drop you back, so that's a positive.

Finally, since its only 1 night you are going to be staying I would recommend this property only for its great location and facilities for the single traveller. Do not expect any smiles or any comfortable rooms here. You could make this a great place here jackie with the space and amazing location you have... You really need to refurbish your rooms and train your staff!!

Recommended for a 1-night stay only due to its proximity to the supermarkets.

Room Tip: Inspect your room before check-in
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Jag96, Manager at Christchurch TOP 10 Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Sir,
I write in response to your feedback.
Several of my staff and myself remember when you stayed at our Park. The management team including myself attended a meeting in the North Island during your second stay, so I was unable to talk to you in person. I am disappointed as I would liked to have discussed your issues with you. I am aware that when you spoke to my staff and voiced your concerns, my receptionist offered you your money back so that you could find more suitable accommodation, but you were not interested in leaving.
There are just a few things I would like to clarify, you refer to our Park as a Hotel, we are a Holiday Park. The 2 bedroom Motel you stayed in on your second stay with us was a paraplegic unit and the bathroom was different to your first stay, due to the park being so busy at this time, we were unable to move you to another unit. We do not provide cakes of soap in our units but have soap dispensers next to the vanity and in the shower.
It is not normal practice for us to show guests to their rooms and personally the only time I have ever been shown to my room is by a porter in large Hotels. I do believe that our staff member Barry took you to look a couple of different units as the unit you booked initially was not suitable. He also transported your luggage and took it upstairs for you. My staff did their utmost to meet your demands during your time with us. You are correct, we do not have a car wash like the ones you would find at a petrol station but you will not find a Holiday Park in New Zealand with a big automated car wash. I guess it is one of those things that gets lost in translation - different nationalities have a different interpretation. Apologies, there was no intention to mislead you.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed July 24, 2012

The reception staff were helpful and friendly during checkin and at all times that I had dealings with them the park is conveniently located to Northlands Mall and a 15 minute drive to the airport or railway station the public bus is a 5 minute walk to the end of the street and everything within the camp is clean and conveniently located. The studio chalet in which we stayed was very clean and warm and spacious enough for a couple.

Room Tip: If travelling as a couple then choose a studio chalet
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Jag96, Manager at Christchurch TOP 10 Holiday Park, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Good morning,
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay.
I would consider our studio Chalets one of our more 'compact' self-contained units but with all you need and priced very well! Pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Kind regards,
Sydney
Reviewed July 23, 2012

stayed here twice, on 1st and last nights of our campervan holiday of South Island

great to have a drive thru campervan booking window,

plenty of space to park vans,

kitchen very clean with all gadgets, best thing is underfloor heating, same with bathrooms, good size shower cubicles and again heated

close to large shopping centre,with all amenities,

free movie at night enjoyed much by teenager son

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Good morning,
Thank you for your positive feedback. You have explained our local area well!
They only thing you haven't mentioned is our mobile coffeeman who is in the Park 8am-9am Monday to Friday. Perhaps you didn't spot him.
We hope to host you again.

Yours truly,
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed July 11, 2012

The real problem with this park is the cost of cabins. I paid $70 plus $10 for Internet as I travel on business and it's a necessity. Ok so that $80 has to be compared with what else is available. In the off season it's rare for me not to be able to get a room In a motel for $100 including at least two hours free wifi.
So what do you get at the top ten Holiday Parlk? Well for starters you don't get a made up bed. That's your job to make the bed. You don't get a wash basin or any running water. You don't get a toilet. You get the most basic cooking utensils to use in the communal kitchen so not even a kettle in the room.
The other irritant is that the heater is on an hour timer. In principle its great to save the planet but on the night I was there it was about minus three and the room was,mot put it mildly, cold by 3 am when I had to get up and put the heater on for an hour. The timer switch is conveniently located by the door as far from the bed as possible!
The wifi dropped the Internet five times in an hour for at least five minutes at a time so I had to give up.

If you really feel that saving $20 is worth it then go for this place as the cabins are spotlessly clean, but remember, in winter it's a very very cold walk to the toilet block which is also unheated.
Maybe I'm a wuss but I think I'd prefer to pay the extra $20.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Good morning,
I sounds like you have stayed on a night when we are busy and we did not have any Motels or self-contained units left. We do have units within our park that have cooking facilities, bathroom, SKY and even undertile heating in some instances.
The reason the heater is on a timer is for safety reasons. There is a danger leaving an electric heater running all night
Our budget units are aimed at a budget market who wishes to bring their own bedding and towels to save $10. They are well suited for school groups and sports teams. Christchurch accommodation is busy at the moment due to the closure of hotels in the city centre and hence I am guessing your difficulty finding a motel unit. I am sorry, you have stayed in a unit that does not meet your needs due to a high demand for Motels at thet time.
Kind regards,
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The first night we got a small cabin which was great, although the second we got changed to an oldish two storey building a bit smelly and not that great (although the view was nice). We were joking all the time we didn't want an earthquake to happen just when we were on the second floor. So for the same price you can get something great or something random. The place is big and very commercial though, big building at the entrance with thousands of brochures offering tours and stuff...Do not expect a family atmosphere and a warm welcome.

Location is good, by the mall where affordable supermarkets and food courts can be found, and easy to find to when driving (although we didn't find Christchurch an easy city to drive around). the place was quiet and toilets alright.

I would ask the staff to be more friendly, most of the girls were a bit grumpy, and I would swap some of them by the typical friendly kiwis you find everywhere in this country. But they did their job and we had no problems.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Good morning,
I am disappointed to hear our reception staff came across as grumpy. I can assure you we value customer service and our guests for that matter, the last thing we wish to portray is grumpiness. I have spoken to the staff on the desk and they have taken your feedback onboard.
The second building you stayed in with us is 35 years old and some of our budget accommodation. I just want to assure you that all of our buildings have been assessed by an engineer several times and we do not have any issues.
Hope you will give us another go!
Regards,