“Awesome!”

“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is the email I sent Avenue Motor Lodge to thank them for my stay:

Hi Guys!

I stayed with you just over a week ago now, and wanted to take the time to say thank you.

My husband was having surgery at the Southern Cross Hospital and the location of your motel was PERFECT for me with us being from out of town. I was able to be at the hospital with Craig, where I was needed and know there was somewhere comfy for me, just across the road. I was especially impressed with the service I received. Craig was discharged from the hospital a day earlier than we expected, and when I approached staff to see if it was at all possible to change to a downstairs room, as he would never have managed the stairs, nothing was a problem. I can’t tell you how grateful we both were for our hassle free stay.

Many thanks, keep up the great work!

Craig and Kelly Everett

Room Tip: I would be inclined to choose one of the rooms at the rear of the complex to cut down road noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Shi L, Manager at 136 On Bealey Motel, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. It was a pleasure to have you come and stay. We appreciate your efforts to inform the travelling community. Take care, see you next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Auckland Central, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

This was one of the few hotels with reasonable rates in Christchurch that encourages business people to stay overnight which in turn helps Christchurch with exta meals and services.

Good rooms for a motor lodge. Attentive staff.

Good parking in the back. Pleasant breakfast cafe next door.

Trip advisor needs to get its act together and solicit more reviews of Christchurch motels as there are now precious few hotels serving Christchurch and little prospect of more to come in the next few years.

Room Tip: Good rooms at reasonable rates are of course hard to find in Christchurch but keep looking and try t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Shi L, Manager at 136 On Bealey Motel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review, we have been working very hard to provide better quality accommodation for all travellers. We would like to encourage all guests to provide feedback on all our services so we can make positive changes to benefit the next guest. We have a busy 18 months planned with some exciting renovations within our complex. Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to your next stay. Management
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

I booked into this motel before reading the reviews and was preparing for a horrible stay even before I had landed in Christchurch, however I was surprised. I was given a room close to reception which was surprisingly quiet, however was not the room I had booked online. On arrival the heater was on warminv up the room and a key with instructions was placed in a comvienient location for me. The room was tidy and clean, and the bathroom was clean. I was given fresh towels every day and my room was given a tidy up. My only complaint was that the bed in my room had seen better days and probably needed updating.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Allese T
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

I stayed here twice, a week apart, in two different rooms. Both rooms were very different.

I was in a room in the front of the building my first night. The room had cosmetic upgrades such as bed coverings and furniture, but still showed it's age with the painted cinder block walls, and slightly out-dated bathroom. The showerhead in the bathroom came up to my armpits (I'm average height for a male). I don't usually have a problem with road noise keeping me up, but with the road right outside and windows that don't keep out all the sound, some people may not sleep well as a result of this. I slept fine but a friend across the room was woken up by it once or twice. Large bed seemed to be ok, small bed felt like it was very tired. No toiletries, but liquid soap and towels are provided.

The second room was better. It was in the back of the building, a must if you are a light sleeper. The bathroom was completely different with no tub and a little more space. The sink didn't have hot water and was a little dirty. Beds were comfortable though.

I rated this a little higher for various reasons though. For the price you are getting a good deal. You're not terribly far from the airport, we could walk to downtown Christchurch and restaurants, the place was easy to get to and the room in the back gave everyone a good night's rest. If you want fancier you'd want to look elsewhere as there were nicer places nearby. Also, both receptionists I dealt with were very friendly. Actually, the guy on duty as we left the first night stopped what he was doing when I asked him for some traveling advice, pulled out a map and offered me amazing suggestions on our road trip around southern NZ. Our trip was twice as good because of his advice. I'm sorry I can't remember his name now (Peter?).

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the building have more road noise, rooms in the back are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank RandomTraveler76
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

nothing outstanding about this place, we thought a place down the road was better value for money

however, it was a low budget acceptable motel unit

• Stayed March 2012
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

Stayed at this motel for 2 nights to break up 2 long coach journeys. The room was very clean and comfortable - the beds were awesome. The bathroom was average, could perhaps use an upgrade but that doesn't bother me too much. The TV had a good selection of channels and the internet was good value and very fast.

It was a bit of a walk to find anywhere to eat or buy food, but we were staying here for our convinience in other ways so again this wasn't too much of an issue. There was a bit of road noise at times, but it wasn't too noticeable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sb1508
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Staff are nice but no such thing as a quiet room here. Apart from normal (loud!) traffic noise from being right on one of the main drags, it is also "turbo-charger central" on a Saturday night! Also the rooms don't live up to the photos. I really wanted a special experience for my daughter and I on our last 2 nights in NZ. Frankly it was a bit ordinary.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends