“Great fun”

and up
Adrenaline Forest Obstacle Course in Christchurch
Ranked #18 of 96 Tours in Christchurch
More attraction details
Owner description: Test your limits. Conquer your fear. Adrenalin Forest is best described as a multi level aerial obstacle course. Participants negotiate a series of rope bridges, Tarzan swings and flying foxes from platforms constructed in the tree canopy. Adrenalin Forest is a great confidence builder and adrenalin rush. The adventure park features an aerial obstacle course up to 20 meters off the ground, 6 pathways of progressive difficulty, about 2 km in length and covering 4 hectares of forest. Participants attached by an overhead safety wire safely negotiate a series of 100 challenging activities high up in the tree canopy.
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We had the pleasure of visiting Adrenalin Forest in both the Christchurch and Tauranga locations while cruising New Zealand. I love outdoor sports and hiking – and I enjoyed doing this so much in Christchurch that I went and visited another location in Tauranga. They use an innovative safety system that allows the user to clip in to a system of safety lines throughout the various obstacle ropes courses.

Although it’s tough and not for the out of shape, I never felt unsafe – as the system is relatively dummy proof. The challenges include ropes, climbing, stairs, fast foxes (think zip-line), bridges, etc. They get progressively harder but most of it is mental (my opinion anyway). This is a great thing for kids and there were many adults (myself included) enjoying the different courses.

We ran out of time and I was only able to complete up to level 4 but I hope to one day return to the Adrenalin Forest and make it through to round six one day. I’m in my 40’s in decent shape and had no trouble with the course.

Tip – stay away from this place on a weekend – if it gets packed with children, it’s difficult to get past them if one of them gets scared and is unable to continue, etc. In Tauranga, we had a bus come in on a Saturday with 60 teenage boys and knew it was time to leave before they took over the place. Highly recommended if you are someone who likes a thrill and is in reasonably good physical condition.

2  Thank DonFTL

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

My kids aged 10 and 14 really enjoyed themselves here. We completed challenge 1,2,4 which took us around 2 hours. Great for bonding with the kids, building of self-confidence and a mind set of encouragement. Unfortunately, my 10 year old was slightly shy of 1.45m and could only do challenge 1 and 2 and had to wait around for us whilst we did 4. On that note, here's some things I would improve on:
1) waiting area for kids below 1.45m. Have something that would keep these kids occupied or let them have a go at 1 & 2 again
2) Probably more can be done for safety like what the other reviewer said. I came down one of the flying foxes on challenge 4 and hit my forehead. I ended up with a bump on my forehead but what is worse is that I also ended up with a neck pain (a sprain?) that hasn't recovered in 6 days. I thought it was because of a certain angle of my landing but my sporty 14 year old daughter who was before me hit her face and glasses on landing too.
3) There were about 8/9 people in my safety briefing who went on the course most were kids and some like us were first timers. But we had one 'guide' watching from below. This was fine for about 30 mins and then the kids started going for different challenges and speed all over the park. It would be impossible for 1 person to be vigilant. There was only 1 other person at the park at the front entrance. These are kids and maybe having one person stationed at each challenge (or just the difficult parts of the challenge) could prevent any potential mishaps.

3  Thank Sue_Yin
Reviewed December 13, 2013

My daughter was demanded down after been told by the instructors that she could go up. Then the manager came out YELLING and SCREAMING!! That he had said NO! This man was only worried about his time management skills as he had another class arriving. He pulled off children because they needed to go to the toilet and were not allowed back up!
He has left my daughter very distraught and in self doubt!

4  Thank Carrie K
kayabe3, Manager at Adrenaline Forest, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am sorry you have had a negative experience.

The main reason a client could have been told that they were not allowed to climb onto pathway 1 of the course would be for safety reasons. These could be examples such as not being physically capable of completing the safety briefing satisfactorily in order to climb safely, which could be due to a physical or mental disability. Client safety is our number one priority so we are very careful with allowing climbers on the course who could injure themselves due to pre-existing medical issues or cannot achieve the skills to climb safely. If I have made this decision it would be very upsetting to have the clients disobey our safety rules and climb anyway.

Another possible reason for someone not being allowed onto pathway 1 could be that the climber has already been climbing on the course, we then have another group who has booked and about to go onto the course that could get upset that the course is not clear for them to climb. In this case we encourage the climber to go and do another pathway they have not climbed yet.

From time to time we get climbers who are desperate to go to the toilet while climbing, we do lower them down and then allow them to climb upon return. It is possible that they have been climbing with a large group like a school who all need to be finished by a certain time to catch the bus so perhaps on return from the toilet their wasn’t enough time to do any more pathways. Without knowing the exact example I cannot be sure about this.

We do try our best to be fair and accommodating but most of all safety is our main priority.

Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Safety is imo not up to date. Helmets are just available on request, just mentioned on a small sign, no word about it from the guides. Doing the courses without a helmet is dangerous. If you fall or you land badly on the flying fox you could easily hit your head on the platform or with the pulley. That cannot be attached properly to your kit, which means it hangs loosely and could easily bounce back at you. The landing areas of the flying foxes are not secured properly, people could just walk right across when you are in the air. You just get woolen gloves and are advised to hold and actually brake with your hands on the steel ropes, which can cause serious injury. I am also gonna write an email to the mnmgt. Cheers. It is very important, that you guys wear a HELMET if u wanna do those courses. Cheers.

3  Thank luzisko

Thank you for placing a review and I would like to assure you that we work very hard to keep our safety standards very high. We follow and exceed best practice safety guidelines in NZ and are safety audited by the best people in the country every year. While parks around the world have some differences such as some have compulsory wearing of helmets and some don’t we do respect other views and therefore have helmets available. In regards to the flying foxes, we have an extremely good safety record after having nearly half a million people through our 3 parks in 7 years. If we were to have unacceptable issues surrounding these activities we would address them immediately as safety is our biggest concern. We are currently involved in the working group for the activity safety guidelines who are further clarifying NZ safety standards for high wire activities; please rest assured that we will continue to practice very high safety standards and strive to provide the best experience to our customers.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

it really is an adrenaline rush when you a flying down a flying fox or walking a wire 21 metres above the ground! this place is great for people all ages! loads of fun and scary at times!

2  Thank XAndERcHesT37