“great night out”

Parkview on Hagley
Ranked #60 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed October 11, 2009

good view of the park.
close to town and riccarton mall.
very clean rooms
welcoming and helpful manager and staff
great service all round .
would recommend it to everyone

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 5, 2009

Such a shame the service at this hotel does not match the beautiful rooms!

We booked 2 interconnecting rooms for my bridesmaids and I to stay in the Friday night before our wedding. A couple weeks prior to staying I called to enquire about late checkouts, as we would be needing at least one room until 2.30pm to get our hair and make-up done. I was told that the latest we can have the room is 12.00pm even though it was a special occasion and I was happy to pay any fee. The only way to get around this was to book another night's accommodation. As my fiancee and I hadn't booked our wedding night accommodation this worked out okay as we would stay there.

Unfortunately the rooms we were allocated overlooked the Riccarton Road/Deans Avenue roundabout. I considered the road noise could be a problem but never thought it would be the worst night’s sleep I have ever had! A continuous flow of packs of around ten boyracer vehicles at a time with loud exhausts, burn-outs, yelling and general mayhem started at 11pm and continued until 3.30am, thus giving us a whole three hours sleep!!

As a con sequence my husband and I did not spend our wedding night at this hotel, as I was in desperate need of sleep. When returning the key I voiced my concerns to the Manager and explained our reasons for not staying our wedding night. We were still expected to pay full price even though the room was not used. He wasn’t even prepared to meet us half way. His biggest concern was loss of revenue, not customer satisfaction.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Slav_9
Reviewed September 9, 2009

We are frequent travellers for both business and leisure and this was the most appalling service we have ever experienced. The true test of any business is how they handle the situation when things go wrong... Unfortunately, the room service breakfast we were provided had mouldy bread which we realised only after feeding some of it to our baby son & then eating some ourselves.
Upon complaining at checkout, Brian the manager said the only thing he could do was to replace the bread. I was still feeling sick from the taste of the mould and did not want to eat any more and asked for the breakfast component to be removed from the bill. At this request, Brian flew off the handle at me. It appeared he did not know how to handle the situation and resorted to yelling at me and insulting me and my family. Rather than rectifying my unpleasant experience, he was only interested in the fact that it would cost him $25 to pay the restaurant next door for the breakfast.
Insults ranged from "we don't need customers like you!" to "Your child has probably left fingerprints all over our room". I do hope for the sake of the Hotel and its guests that better training is provided to Hotel Staff for how to deal with complaints.
Totally unexpected after such a pleasant and hassle-free time at other hotels and motels on our 9 day trip around the South Island. I definitely will not stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank engbren
Reviewed July 5, 2009

The staff was excellent from the first call. Friendly, ploite and very helpful. The rooms were absolutely brilliant. Got an executive room on special (AUD$140/night), which was huge! Good bed, nice spa bath and a big shower. The room also had wonderful views over the Hagley Park. The hotel is situated in a busy intersection, but we didn't notice this at all - good sound-proofing! We loved the location because of the 20 minute walk to the city center through the Hagley Park, but I guess that would be our opinion, some might want something a bit closer to the center.
There were also very good parking opportunities, which were free, in the back of the hotel.

Liked: Everything
Disliked: Nothing

We had a GREAT stay and will definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Found this through Trip Advisor. This is a fairly new motel; managed to get an excellent internet rate for our 2 night stay and which we promptly upgraded to a spa (corner) room when we arrived. The room was massive and so too was the bathroom. Everything was spotless. Yes, it is at the intersection of very busy roads but we never found it noisy. Very helpful and friendly staff who went out of their way to be helpful. Our only complaint was storage. One little wardrobe and a tiny bedside table (with 1 drawer) either side of the bed – nothing more for storage. That meant we lived out of suitcases for our time in Christchurch. There’s plenty of room for owners to add drawer space and would make the rooms perfect. We didn’t have a car so, in the main, took cabs into the city (around

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oztraveller52
Reviewed May 19, 2009

Great location, with Hagley Park and the Botanic Gardens literally over the road. Despite being at a busy intersection, traffic noise was not a problem. We chose this hotel because we got a great internet deal (through the hotel's website) on a lovely big room with a view over the park. Plus, other guests had rated it's cleanliness highly, which was important to us - we found it to be very clean and comfortable, with friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2009

My husband and I and our 2 children stayed at this hotel on our recent NZ holiday. We stayed 2 nights at the start of our trip and we loved it so much we stayed another 2 nights at the end of our trip. The rooms were spacious, immaculate and the beds were the most comfortable in the whole of our trip. The staff were really friendly and helpful. It was a lovely walk into the city across the park and a short walk in the other direction to a major shopping mall. The kids were so happy with their room that they did not want to leave it !!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family