“I agree with mertz1. . . . . .”

Bamboo Garden Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 115 Restaurants in Blenheim
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Thai
Good for: Dining on a budget, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Blenheim, New Zealand
“I agree with mertz1. . . . . .”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

I booked the banquet menu 2 weeks in advance for a birthday and then phoned again 1 week later to change the numbers but there was no record of my booking (lucky I phoned) so I made the reservation again telling the man that it was a special birthday surprise. I also asked if 2 of the kids could be charged as 1 adult because they were fussy eaters and dont eat much also taking into account that it would cost me $38 pp, the man said to ask for him on arrival and he would sort something. On arrival I asked for the man but the the lady said that she knows what to do and we were seated. Our food was served on oval plates that were quite small, at first we thought there would be another plate of the same food as well but. . . no, out came a smallish oval plate with another dish on it and the same for the rest of the dishes. 1 of the kids didnt want to eat the banquet so we ordered him fish and chips, I couldnt eat some of the food because I cant eat red meat, my sister didnt eat much and her husband was careful not to take to much . . . .so where was all the food we payed for? so dissapointing as I had been there 2 years ago for a banquet and we had left overs to take home. We payed the bill also charged full price for a little kid then we went home and made toasties because we were honestly still hungry. Such a shame because the food was yummy.

• Visited April 2011

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Blenheim, New Zealand
“Don't dine in”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

My friend had booked a table for 14 people, she had gone in once to discuss with them and rang twice to confirm her booking, this was because it was her birthday and didnt want anything to go wrong.When we arrive we were not booked in and had to wait a few hours to be seated. They did not charge us corkage for wine, but the boys certainly brought a few beers while waiting, which cost a lot. Meal came out quickly after we were seated, but there was not enough food to feed 14 people, we basically got a small taste per dish(we had a selection of food) the food was nice, but not very good value for $30. This is the second time,which this has happened. I will not try again!

• Visited August 2011
nelson new zealand
“the best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

We had two great meals here. the best Chinese food I've had in a long time.
Well done

1 Thank janab8
Wellington, New Zealand
“Good food and great atmosphere - set a high standard for Asian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2010

We came to Bamboo Garden after looking at the reviews on TA. Blenheim is a small(ish) town, certainly not much Asian cuisines from just our driving around. It took us a little while to locate it - but I would say the efforts were well worth it. It was a modern fusion type place, on a Sunday evening it was very busy (most other restaurants either had only 2 tables or were actually empty). This place was busy.

Food was pretty good. We really liked the Thai platter for 2 - great fish cakes! My husband had the roast duck curry, which he said was really good and very good value - for $25 you got a lot of duck, probably double what other Thai restaurants would've served. My dish, however, was a bit disappointing (Thai basil beef with bamboo). However, everything was super speedy and the staff was very nice and friendly. Overall, we have really enjoyed our dinner there. And next time in Blenheim, we would certainly come back.

New York City, New York
“Good and affordable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2010

The food was good, affordable, and there was a lot to choose from. I think it was BYO as well. I would recommend it if you're staying close by.