“Perfection”

Hans Herzog Estate
Ranked #13 of 121 Restaurants in Blenheim
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Hans Herzog Estate is one of New Zealand’s most treasured, truly artisan wineries. Settled in 1994 in the heart of Marlborough within the most beautiful gardens Herzog’s offers casual luxury and indulgence for food and wine lovers. Unfettered by commercial considerations, the Herzog’s have adopted an experimentalist stance, cultivating an eclectic array of grape varieties all of them highly acclaimed wines rich in varietal character showing off the covetous terroir. The Estate’s iconic Gourmet Restaurant, casual Bistro, stylish Cellar Door and lovely Vineyard Cottage oozes European elegance and together with vivacious Therese’s and her team warm hospitality it really is a must visit destination!
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Incredible degustation meal one night, tasty bistro the next. We couldn't get enough of Herzog. I love the commitment to quality at this place.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We ate in the Bistro. We had no booking (would recommend you do so) and arrived outwith the last orders time, due to our trip on the Mail Boat running late. However, that was no problem and we were shown to a table in the garden.
There are small fountains and a rose garden.

We had an excellent meal with lovely wines and, though not cheap, it was well worth it.

Sitting there, watching the sunset, sipping good wine, was the perfect end to what had been an excellent day. (Four vineyards in the morning & a sail on the mail boat in the afternoon).

The toilets were immaculate.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I had dinner in the Bistro which is very reasonably priced ($28 for a lovely fish main). The food was incredible and the staff were exceptional! I had the Viognier with the fish as reccommended and it was absolutely lovely.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We ate in the bistro and I do not think I have ever dined in a more romantic setting. Sitting by a fountain in a rose garden in the evening sunshine was just perfect.

Food was good, although it should be at those prices (heaven only knows what it must cost in the restaurant; I suspect they benefit from being one of the rare decent evening eating places in the area). The wine list, of course, was terrific. But, unusually for New Zealand, the evening was let down by the service.

At the beginning, staff were buzzing around. But after 8pm, when everyone had been served their mains, they vanished. We sat for 20 minutes hoping for a dessert. Finally, I went inside and brought out a menu myself to see what was available.

Eventually, after 30 minutes, someone came out, noticed I had a menu and asked what we wanted. By then, we had decided to simply settle for another glass of Herzog’s excellent wine. And that was enough to put the glow back on the evening.

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

One of the best restaurants I've been to - in my opinion as good as Dine or Euro in Auckland and Piscatore in Chch. Its different from these others due to its strong German / European influence.

Everything about it was great - the service, the food, even the decoration in the bathrooms. We had the degustation, which was a great way to try some wines that are hard to find in NZ.