“A great experience”

Hans Herzog Estate
Ranked #15 of 128 Restaurants in Blenheim
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Description: Hans Herzog Estate is one of New Zealand’s most treasured, truly artisan wineries. Settled in 1994 in the heart of Marlborough within the most beautiful gardens Herzog’s offers casual luxury and indulgence for food and wine lovers. Unfettered by commercial considerations, the Herzog’s have adopted an experimentalist stance, cultivating an eclectic array of grape varieties all of them highly acclaimed wines rich in varietal character showing off the covetous terroir. The Estate’s iconic Gourmet Restaurant, casual Bistro, stylish Cellar Door and lovely Vineyard Cottage oozes European elegance and together with vivacious Therese’s and her team warm hospitality it really is a must visit destination!
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Visited in the winter and were one of two tables. Had the tasting menu for two and Danny supplied accompanying wines, everything was amazing. We had no issues despite what we've read on TA, we enjoyed it very much, ~$200 for 3courses, 6 different wines, 2 desserts and a glass of dessert wine.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

I have not dined at Herzog for quite some time and due to the restaurants that we wanted to go to being fully booked, we decided to try out this supposably "fine dining" establishment.

We arrived at the cellar door enterance, to be greeted (with NO smile) by the (slightly pretentious) maitre'd and asked for a table of two. He responded "now??!!" of which we informed him, "yes, now would be good". He seemed quite keen to sit us outside, which was fine as the sun was shining but all the sunny tables were reserved so we sat in the shade. No biggie..

We were served a lovely glass of bubbles, and ordered some breads and oil etc to start. The bread was obviously home made, which would have been great if it wasn't hard as rock. Oh well, we still weren't fazed at this point.

I had the fish which was snapper and my sister had the pasta. The meals came out on teeny wee plates, which suprised me as I thought a restaurant of this kind may be serving cuisine on lovely large white plates. My sisters pasta seemed to be ok, although she didn't really comment. My snapper was cooked ok. Not served medium-rare like I prefer, but cooked right through. It was served on a bunch of vegetables, of which I'm pretty sure some were out of season, but I couldn't really destinguish much as it was like a stew. A herb (not sure what kind) was strewn across the top but was still on the stalk and wasn't easy to cut up so had to set it to the side.

But what got me was no one wiped the plate!!!! (see image). A bit of..something..had been slopped onto the side of the plate and came out un-wiped. So due to the whole dish having no colour at all, except for a grey-brown shade, and a messy slop mark on the plate, the dish didn't really look very appetising.. tasted ok, just didn't look much.

We were constantly asked the same questions and offered the same things by a few different waiters so sections hadn't been sorted or they were just winging it. But we are cruizy, and lunching outside so this didn't really bother us.

BUT. If you wish to remain in the league of restaurants in which to advertise yourself as "fine-dining", sort out the simple stuff!!!!

4  Thank Localvore_Cuisine
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Totally faultless evening, we felt completely looked after, the wines are beautiful, the food was beautiful (I'm still thinking about it) and it's a lovely romantic setting. We want to go back.

1  Thank Isolde E
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We visited over 20 wineries in our 4 days in Marlborough, as well as many wineries in Napa/Sonoma, and I was just so blown away at how terrible our experience was here that I had to come on and review it. We chose to eat lunch here due to high ratings. Being vegetarian, I got pumpkin soup and a salad that came with meat, however I asked for no meat. The salad still cost $20 despite the fact that it was just vegetables. But we looked past that because it happens often at restaurants. We each enjoyed a glass of wine with lunch and it was great. Sure we paid about $35 for my soup and salad, which were both mediocre, but we were on our honeymoon and looking at the bright side of it all. Then we went to the tasting room and my husband decided to do a tasting. I was driving and had just had a glass so I sat that one out. After tasting all the wines, he decided to purchase a $50 bottle. It was then that we found out they were charging $10 for the tasting in addition to the bottle of wine! SERIOUSLY?? We just spent over $100 on lunch, are buying a $50 bottle of wine, and you can't give the tasting for free?? It was at that point that I had enough. I said no to him buying the bottle, and I let everyone know who we met after that to avoid this winery. Their service is awful, they are rude, the food and wine are both mediocre, and it was easily our worst experience in Blenheim! DON'T GO!

4  Thank umdchic17
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We were in a hurry and wanted a quick bite to eat and were pleased to see the Bistro - rather than having to sit down to a long degustation style meal that Hans is well known for. The food was lovely the interior is a little unusual (not as plush as I expected). The fires were roaring is always nice.

Very pushy and overpowering waiter! To the point of distraction and annoying - everything was a hard upsell which was getting on everyones nerves - not sure if he was working on commission but it felt like it! That was a put off@!!