“Not the best experience”

Brancott Estate Cellar Door and Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 128 Restaurants in Blenheim
Cuisines: New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Discover the region’s premier wine experience at the home of the original Sauvignon Blanc. The Brancott Estate Cellar Door & Restaurant celebrates the history of Brancott Estate wines, at Brancott Vineyard, the site of the original Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc plantings.The spectacular Brancott Estate Cellar Door & Restaurant is one of Marlborough’s premier cellar doors with a restaurant offering majestic views over the region. On a typical clear day, visitors can see the North Island from the elevated site.Visitors can enjoy Cellar Door tastings and wine sales, Wine Tours, an informtaive AV presentation telling the story of the original Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc and a restaurant menu featuring seasonal, local produce.
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Poor wine tasting experience ( bad service) exacerbated by finding they put a 30% premium on wines ordered at the restaurant( a narrow strip of tables over looking the vineyards below). Food was good but expensive. The overcharging for their own wines on top of indifferent service really rankled though.

2  Thank canuckcango
Andrew S, Manager at Brancott Estate Cellar Door and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear canuckcango
Sorry to hear that your visit did not meet expectations. Many guests comment very positively on the service and I would welcome any direct feedback on your experience. The wine list prices in the restaurant do carry up to $10 per bottle premium for wine service at the tables to contribute to the additional staff and glass costs.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Having been a restaurant reviewer for years in London the expectations when visiting this place were high, but I was not disappointed. On arrival the staff were welcoming, friendly and attentive. We bathed in the incredible views from the incredibly well designed building which is carved out of the natural contours of the hill it sits on (and which the waiters told us have seen it nominated for design awards) before enjoying a starter, then an informative and thoroughly enjoyable wine tasting.

Whilst Sav Blancs may be Marlborough, and Brancott's claim to fame, I actually found their Pinot Gris and their Pinot Noir/Sav mix to be the picks of the day for me.

But let me get started on the food...we indulged in every level of the menu and the Dutch chef Sander and his team excelled throughout.

The duck and confit sauce was an exquisite taste combination and the fish of the day main (salmon on the day I visited) served on warmed Perlas Potato Salad with Sauce Vierge & Marlborough Saffron, exceptional.

I could rave some more but I think it could be a little over the top. In short if you are in Blenheim, you should go. If you are not in Blenheim you should still go.

I noted a bookable boardroom out the back. A good excuse for a return visit or perhaps for others to mix business with pleasure.

3  Thank cre8tivkiwi

Dear cre8tivkiwi
Wow, what a fantastic review - thanks very much! The team work hard to deliver a premium wine and food experience and it is wonderful to hear such positive feedback.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Treated you right. prompt in any assistance and the win was great. Would highly recommend a visit it is where the wine region began.

Hi MichaelF
Thanks for your comments and recommendation. We were the first to plant Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc and like to think we offer all visitors a chance to discover this unique story.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I visited Brancott with a tour for a wine tasting - what a gorgeous place! It's built on a hill overlooking the Marlborough vineyards and the views are just fantastic. I quite enjoyed the wines although I don't usually care for whites but the service was terrific. I elected to walk down to the carpark (rather than take the courtesy shuttle) and saw my first ever baby hedgehog on the grounds so it was a very happy afternoon for me

Dear SharonJBurton
Thanks for sharing your experience and comments on your visit to Brancott Estate Heritage Centre.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

My girlfriend and I went for lunch one and can highly recommend the tasting menus with accompanying wine selections. Unfortunately there was a long wait firstly to be seated (fair enough, we hadn't booked) but then again for our food. The staff did apologise saying that it was much busier than a normal weekday but I would have expected better from such a renowned name in wine. Overall the food was worth the wait and good value, just a shame about the wait.

Dear Clarkey1886
We're sorry you experience a longer than expected delay. We do advise booking in advance as we have a limited capacity of 40 seats inside. Its good to see you enjoyed the wine tasting platters.