“Roomy and nice location but not perfect”
Review of Vintners Retreat

Vintners Retreat
GreenLeadersBronze level
Townsville, Australia
“Roomy and nice location but not perfect”
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Comfortable and roomy two bedroom, two bath apartment. Very comfy beds. Second bathroom was adjacent to the lounge and not near the bedrooms but still it was nice for our friend to have a bathroom all to himself. This unit scores high on space and comfortable furnishings but not so great on "the little things". Wifi is free as long as you don't use it too much - limited bandwidth. Kitchen lacked some basic tools. You can't prepare much of a meal with two bread knives and no paring knife or chef's knife. We stayed for two nights and after the first night I bought my own knives. I also discovered on our last night that the heating element in the unit's clothes dryer was burnt out. I dried our clothes by hanging them on the heated towel racks. I would expect a hotel that claims 5 stars to verify that their equipment works. Good location and easy to find. Great access to the local vineyards. Nice big patio with a BBQ but not covered and therefore useless when it is raining - which it did for our entire visit unfortunately. Some sort of cover over the patio would be a great addition.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
vintners, Manager at Vintners Retreat, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your review - we found it most helpful! I agree with you about the kitchen knives and have duly replaced them throughout the property with far more suitable five knife sets. I do apologise for the faulty dryer – at times equipment does break down without our knowledge. Worth mentioning is that Vintners Retreat offers 500 megabyte free wireless internet to guests, however our current policy is one log-on per Villa. In the last couple of years we have noticed a large increase in the use of tablets and smart-phones, and in light of this we will be reviewing our policy in the near future.

We also agree with you about Wairau River - they consistently generate great reviews – we are lucky to have them as our neighbours.

Kind regards

Shulah George – Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The location is unbeatable. This is the perfect place to stay with a group, rent bikes and do a leisurely vineyard tour (give yourself a couple of days here, at least!). The villas are spotless, overlook the surrounding vineyards and have everything you could need. Other than the high price (which is understandable considering the real estate), I have absolutely no complaints and would love to return someday. Staying here was one of the highlights of my trip to NZ. Lunch at Wairau River - a 5 minute walk away - is highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank snarfley
San Francisco
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I've come to Blenheim afew times over the past decade and always stayed here, and I will continue to every time I visit. This is one of the few places to stay in the area that is actually out in the vineyards - most hotels, despite their names are just motels in downtown Blenheim with a view of a wall. Vintners is actually surrounded on almost all sides by vines, and something like half of their units face directly North onto vines and the mountains beyond, which makes for agreat view when you wake up in th morning or in the evenings when you go out onto your patio, fire up the BBQ, and crack a bottle of wine. There are a number of wineries with walking distance, including Nautulus, and Wairu River, so you can really pick your own adventure and don't have to hire a tour company when you stay there. Vintners is furnish townhouses/apartments, which means that they are duplexes that are mostly two bedrroms, although I'm told they have a couple of three bedrooms. Units all have full kitchens, dinnign table and living room/TV as well as two bedrooms with minimum queen size beds. They all have nice patios with outdoor furniture and BBQ, so if you're staying for a while you can cook for yourself or go to any one of the many wineries in the area that serve lunch and dinner. Staff are very friendly and extremely helpful, and all units were clean and well-maintained. I iheard a reference to a complete refurbishment a year or two ago, somebody is taking care of the place. All in all a great place to stay for a while and explore the Marlborough area - I've done the Queen Charlotte Track from here, and I've also just sat around and done nothing when I've been here. Either way, I've always had a great stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 451MSH
Christchurch
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Wonderful position amongst all the vines and best wineries.
If you are looking for accommodation for a group or family this is the place to stay!
It has everything you would need - including washing machine and dryer!!

Room Tip: Room 10. At the end of a block, received all day sun, opening onto the Vines.....views of the hills...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Blenheim, New Zealand
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I stayed here with my bridesmaids the night before my wedding and it was absolutely perfect. We got 2 2 bedroom units so we all had a bedroom and bathroom. The rooms are spacious and clean. It was really a home way from home but much nicer! Everything neded was there and more- even a barbq. Lovely villas. We totally enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We stayed 2 nights here and could only get a 2 bedroomed villa even though there was only 2 of us which meant we probably didn't feel we got the best value for money but it was our choice. As we were in Villa 1, the nearest to the main road, we were glad as we could choose to sleep in the bedroom away from the road noise. the villa is wonderfully well equipped and even has a garage! The main bathroom is fantastic - huge with a separate tub and walk in shower. You could easily stay here for a week very comfortably. There is a large gas BBQ on the patio and whilst the only view is that of another villa it's quite a nice space. The swimming pool is really nice - not many loungers but there were only 4 of us chilling out there when we were there so not an issue.

The furnishings are a little bland as other reviewers have said and the external finishing of the villas are very drab for some reason. The hosts are very helpful and arranged bike hire for us which were dropped off at the villa and collected. The wineries are very close so it's a perfect base to see some of them - we managed to cycle around 8 in a day plus a brewery!Just be aware when booking that you check whether you have a 'vineyard view' - I was sure I had booked one but was told when we got there that I hadn't and would have paid more had I done so. It may be an error on the booking agent's site.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NoneyJ
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Spent 2 nights at Vintners Retreat and it exceeded our expectations. The villas are large, comfortable and spotlessly clean, we felt as though we were the first people to stay in them. The bedrooms were dark, quite and luxuriously comfortable ensuring a good nights sleep to recover from the wonderful wineries nearby. The kitchen was better equipped than my kitchen at home more than enough space, seating and bathrooms for two couples.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends