“What a great place!”

Ranked #2 of 121 Restaurants in Blenheim
Cuisines: Brazilian, Bar, New Zealand
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Inspired by a small town in southern Brazil, part of the state Rio Grande do Sul, Gramado city is renowned for its fine wine, international cuisine and chocolate. Come in to a cosy, warm place for dinner or drinks. Enjoy the homestyle atmosphere, the little bar and separate dining areas. Please not we do not offer B.Y.O or Corkage.
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I am not much of a reviewer but I thought it'd be a nice gesture to review Saulo's restaurant since he was a true gem.

Saulo and his staff were all of them (no exceptions made) extremely attentive to our needs as well as in giving us proper explanations about the menu.

Food portions were far too generous but who is going to complain about that? The food was also very tasty. My friend and I had the feijoada (black bean stew) and husband had the camarao na moranga (shrimp cooked in pumpkin soup).

I am Brazilian so I can vouch to say my beans were very delicious and quite authentic to the real deal. It was awesome to have some leftovers for the next day too. Yum.

We also had cheese bread as an entrée and Brazilian pudim (caramel flan) as dessert and both were a delight!

For drinks we had an invention of the house to substitute a soft drink from Brazil made of guarana. Since they can't export the cans over here, what they do is mix guarana syrup with sprite and to my surprise although quite sweet, it was delish!

At the end, Saulo brought was a typical Brazilian dessert called goiabada com queijo for a little try. Such a nice gesture!

Hoping one day they will branch out somewhere in the North Island. Place definitely has potential for it!

Super recommended!

Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Second time I've been, warm greeting on arrival. Very crowded restaurant but still feels quite intimate.
I had the Brazilian fish which was melt in the mouth perfect.
I would recommend trying the Brazilian chillis for a bit of fun.
Service was warm and incredibly hospitable

Reviewed July 25, 2014

You simple cannot beat Gramados for food, atmosphere and service. Can not fault a thing, the owners are fantastic and always check everything is ok....never had a bad meal!

1  Thank angieandrhino
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I was looking forward on a Friday night while celebrating after good things for a great Brazilian meal. Stupidly enough here I was thinking I could have a meal just like many I had in Rio de Janeiro before and boy was this place proven to be one of the worst and most expensive meals I have ever had. Would not ever go back there again ever. Very nice and friendly real brazilian young couple owns the place but they charged like if the restaurant was in Monaco or Piatza de San Marcos in Italy. If you look for a budget good meal turn around and go elsewhere.

7  Thank JosePablin
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We enjoyed a wonderful meal here on our last night in New Zealand. My son and his girlfriend both ordered a couple of the Brazilian specialties, while my husband and I had to enjoy lamb one more time before heading back to the States! The Brazilian owner was so friendly. He brought out some samples of peppers to try. When I wanted to order another glass of wine, he brought out 3 different bottles for a tasting. My husband has been to Brazil several times on business, so the owner even played some of my husband's favorite Brazilian music.