“Charming Hotel with Amazing Service in NZ's Marlborough Wine Country!”
Review of Hotel d'Urville

Hotel d'Urville
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Blenheim
Minnesota
“Charming Hotel with Amazing Service in NZ's Marlborough Wine Country!”
Reviewed December 6, 2010

My brother and I were delighted to find this delightful hotel in the small town of Blenheim, located in the middle of the wine country in the East/Central part of New Zealand's South Island. The hotel has an "old European Charm" about it -- the rooms are unique and immaculate. The linens are 5-Star, the restaurant even better. Amazing chef who knows how to bring the best out of local ingredients. The service is genuine, gracious, helpful and friendly. Five minutes after our arrival, we were sipping a lovely glass of of a local Sauvignon Blanc while our hosts arranged a wonderful wine tour for us the next day. Our only regret is that we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Europe
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Welcome & check in: Fast & friendly, valet parking for free
Room: All rooms are designed in a very unique way, very romatic, sleeping quality was perfect, bath room was very small
Dinner: Yummy!
Breakfast: Breakfast offer was a bit poor, but considering the price per room, it was o.k.
Value for money: Perfect!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Takaka
Reviewed November 11, 2010

3 girl friends on a girlie trip, had an awsome stay for 4 nights. very central, so great for the shopping and night life. Staff where extremely helpful, polite and friendly. Our meal one evening at their restrautant was fantastic. Waitress knew her job and the service was some of the best we have experienced. Happy to stay here again. Beds comfortable

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 24, 2010

As someone that owns a boutique tourism company, I am used to staying in guest accommodation, and always prefer to stay somewhere with character and style. I felt that Hotel D'Urville had both. I was booked into the D'Urville Room, which was one of the larger rooms at the top front of the hotel, so had plenty of space, even though the bathroom was compact. This didn't worry me in the least. The room theming was lovely and very well thought out, and that can be said for pretty much all of the rooms (I did a wee tour of most of them, and though not all to my personal taste - they were all well themed). Next time I go back I will definitely book the Rajah Room, although much smaller than my room, I loved the look of the big day bed and all the beautiful decorations.
My room was warm, with both old style column heaters and a quick to respond (and relatively quiet) electronic heating system. I was worried that the one quilt on th bed might not keep me warm (being a bit of a wimp with the cold), but it was perfect. the linen and pillows etc were delicious and I had an excellent sleep. I thought town was unbelievably quiet for a Saturday night, so no had issues with noise what-so-ever.
I enjoyed an excellent dinner in the restaurant :-)
Breakfast was not exactly high end lodge style, but then neither are the prices. I thought it was a perfectly adequate spread for a continental breakfast, with plenty of choices, and especially loved the home made muesli (granola) - toasted with honey and nuts - mmmm. Lots of fresh fruit and all the usual breakfast items.
I will definitely go back again - and would sum up by saying - this is the place to stay in Blenheim!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Edinburgh
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Stayed here in late June. Located in the centre of town, the building might be a converted bank, judging by the rooms and layout. Parking was tight round the back of the hotel with extra spaces alongside which were a bit more exposed.
Quirky trendy chic – we stayed in the 'Cow' room I think, which meant we had some piebald cushions and a cover on the lovely four poster bed, polished wooden floors and a little desk at the window - nice, very clean, warm and comfortable with some street noise from down below but not a particular problem – we slept ok.
The room was smallish probably because the bathroom is in a box constructed within the box of the room! - excellent shower but you couldn't swing a cat in the room.
Breakfast was good, the usual continental from a central buffet - surrounded by business folk who seemed to have just come in for the breakfast – must be good value thereabouts!
I'm not one for the gimmicks but the decor was novel and interesting while still being cozy and comfortable - can't complain.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed here for only one night as there really isn't a great deal to do in Blenheim other than drink wine. The hotel arranged a wine tasting trip for us in advance so we didn't have to worry about that when we arrived in New Zealand.
The room we had was themed in an indian way and was very beautiful. We had a look in a few of the other rooms in the morning and all of them are stunning, themed in different ways. The building itself has a lot of character, which is hard to find in New Zealand as there are not many refurbished historic buildings around. The only complaint I had about the room is that the wet room had a door in it that was not full size so I bashed my head on it several times (I'm 180cm).
This is an excellent hotel to stay in, particularly if what you plan on doing is tasting A LOT of wine as you will need somewhere really nice and comfortable to get over your massive hangover!
Breakfast was great, we're both veggie though, so easy to please. I can honestly say that I had the best scrambled eggs I have ever eaten in my entire life at Hotel D'Urville and if the chef sees this review maybe he could tell me what his secret is?!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
SOUTH EAST ENGLAND
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Blenheim in general, and the d'Urville in particular are best avoided -stay in one of the wine lodges out of town, nearer to the wine areas. The d'Urville takes quirkiness to the point of uncomfortable absurdity, has limited parking, had stained carprts at the time, our shower smelled of sewers, and the regular breakfast was both limited and poor, served by the unshaven patron!! Tte only redeeming feature was a good dinner, but there has to be a better place to stay in the area.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Bosslady2, Front Office Manager at Hotel d'Urville, responded to this review, June 30, 2010
Thank you for your review of our Hotel, we are dissapointed that you were not completely satisfied with our accomodation and facilities.
As we were one of the first buildings in the town centre, we are very central and the wineries are spread out all over marlborough and how and why you are travelling, will impact on where you prefer to stay.
We have 8 parking spaces for our 11 rooms but more can me made available for our guests upon request.
Our continental breakfasts offer a choice of over 5 different fruit choices, white or wholemeal bread, muffins, fruit and cinnamon breads, cereals, yoghurts, spreads, banana loaf, gluten free bread, coffee, tea as well an extensive cooked breakfast menu for an extra charge. We are confident that our continental breakfast offers a wide variety and is in no way limited.
We are happy to help in any way we can to make our guests have an enjoyable stay and will take every step to ensure we correct anything bought to our attention.