Hotel d'Urville
Marlborough Vintners Hotel(Blenheim)(Great Value!)
$109
Ellena Court Motel(Blenheim)(Great Value!)
$104
Phoenix Motor Inn(Blenheim)(Great Value!)
$96
Bings Motel(Blenheim)(Great Value!)
$76
Agoda.com
Cherylea Motel(Blenheim)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsraja roomunique hotelbank buildingthemed roomscomplimentary portday bedretro roomwonderful restaurantno liftwine listvenisonbooked this hoteltwo nightsnew zealandour honeymoonnight's sleepplace to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 24, 2006

Loud music blares nightly from the bar across the street which keeps its doors and windows open to attract customers. The front desk staff is vacant and unhelpful and will pretend they're not aware of the problem until they have to move you. Ask for a room in the back of the hotel!

• Stayed: December 2005
2  Thank AdventuressNJ
Bosslady2, Restaurant Manager at Hotel d'Urville, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2007

Hotel d'Urville is situated in the CBD of Blenheim which is told to guests by staff or travel agents, there are a number of Bars around us. Yes we do have a bar accross the road who seldomly have live bands and play excessively during the night. We have a procedure in place that has been here since i have worked in this establishment which is four years. Although it does take time to get through the procedure we cannot go over to the bar and pull cords from instruments or personally close them down. Noise control needs 3 complaints, 3 separate times in order to close a bar. the 3 complaints need to have sufficient amount of time in between each complaint. The Police will only be involved if the patrons breaking the law, and bar staff are breaking the sale of liquor act. We do the best we can within the rules and laws established, we also have ear plugs in all the rooms for guests to use until we succeed in our procedures. All we ask are for guests to be patient until we are able to get some peace and quiet for you.

A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed January 5, 2006

Great Building but situated right next to a gas station on the main road. We had been looking forward to our stay but were dissappointed by the poor service- carrying own bags to the room & no-one around for breakfast not even to make a coffee until we wnt to front desk. Everyone seemed to have lost interest in the place. Rooms were quirky,interesting & comfortable but the shower leaked all over the floor. The food was not of the high culinary standard we expected and we had better food at vineyards in the area during the trip.

Stayed: December 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 9, 2005

This is an old bank turned into a hotel. The staff is young and not top notch. The front and the restaurant seemed understaffed and rushed, thereby removing the expected friendliness of a small boutique hotel. The room I was in, however, was large and had inviting pastel blues and purples on beautiful oak antique furnishings. The bed was a very comfortable four-poster. The hardwood floor in the room creeked very loudly, so there was no sneeking off to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Nevertheless, they added some fun charm to the old building. Also, when they made the conversion of the old bank to a hotel they used the vault doors from the bank's upstairs professional offices as the doors into the rooms. They add a really cool flavor. i was afraid that the old radiator heater might not keep me warm enough during the night and that it might make too much noise, but it worked without a cause for concern and I stayed toasty during the night. The bathroom in my room was tiny and stuffed with a claw-footed cast iron tub. While the tub might sound romantic, it wasn't very functional as a shower. They offer sherry in the lobby for a night-cap which was a nice treat -- although it isn't very good sherry. The parking is also very limited and the stairs up from the parking area to the rooms are in the back of the building and pretty cumbersome when carrying up your luggage -- especially when the kitchen puts their trash on the landing right in the way of traffic. The dining room served up a pretty good fare, however. I tried to spost some pictures for you all to see, but the system didn't seem to want to cooperate. Like I said int he caption, quirky, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank twoguyswhotravel
Reviewed May 8, 2005

Hotel D'Urville had so many fans on tripadvisor (and in Frommers) that I HAD to stay there. I was disappointed. It was fine, the room was interesting but not worth what was being charged. We paid more for a night there than we did for the Four Seasons in Sydney. There is no porter and no elevator, so make sure you can carry your suitcases up two flights of stairs.

The restaurant is mediocore at best. We had dinner one night, I had more fat on my pork than meat. On a two week tour of New Zealand, I can say that of the 6 places we stayed, the D'Urville had the worst breakfast. Only some plain white bread for toasting and assorted cereals. Overall, no bad experiences, but for what they charge there should be more.

3  Thank Monica R

I would like everyone to know that our hotel is a historical building that is protected by the historical building society in which case we are not allowed to develop or build anything (i.e lift) without months of preparations and waiting until we get their approval before submitting permission from the council to build which could take years for approval. Staff have always offered to take guests luggage up to rooms for guests as not only do we have strong chefs that are more than willing but the female staff are more than capable of carrying a few heavy luggage up 2 flights of stairs. Our Slow Roasted Pork BELLY which has not changed since our MULTIPLE AWARD winning chef joined us three years ago is the belly part of a pig and is suppose to have a portion of fat, this dish is and has always been about Flavour and is one of our best selling dishes. Some guests may believe it to taste differently but we try not to let guests to assume anything about our dishes. Continental Breakfast is included with the room and i believe we offer a great selection, in 2005 we would of had, plain bread, Honeygrain bread and Gluten free available, all spreads were made on sight as well as our preservatives, Fresh Natural Yoghurt, Bowl of Dried Fruits Only, Bowl Dried fruit and Nuts, 6 varieties of fresh fruit juices, fresh fruit, Croissants, Breakfast Danishes and a cheese selection and a selection of cereals. Although with new owners we have opted for something more simple but elegant none the less.

Reviewed February 28, 2005

I made an online booking request with this hotel last year for a 4 night stay in November but received no booking confirmation back from the hotel. I then emailed the hotel direcly to ask if my booking was confirmed but received no repsonse to this request either. As a result of this I presumed that my booking had not been recieved or that maybe the hotel had gone out of business (OK - naive I know). On my return from NZ I had been charged a full nights rate cancellation fee by the hotel for not turning up. They are refusing to refund me as apparently you do not need a response from them to have a confirmed booking. Please be wary of this if you are contemplating an online request.

PS. We stayed at the Una Piu guest house instead which was great and I would highly recommend.

5  Thank NatalieKershaw

In response to this review all of our online bookings are confirmed as booked reservations as you either booked directly through our system or with a last minute booking agent. The only reason we would not have sent confirmation for a guest when requested is when our e-mail system is down and we never received the e-mail, we would think that as a guest unsure of confirmation they would ring us direct and speak to our reservation department for confirmation before booking elsewhere, even if it saves them 100% cancellation fee as we would of reserved the room for them.