“Another visit”

Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Blenheim
Nelson
“Another visit”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Again I have returned to this Hotel. It is not my first visit. This time I met friends from Christchurch in Blenheim and I chose to stay at the Quality Hotel Marlborough as I am very comfortable here and know I will be very well catered for.
The Marlborough Wine and Food Festival was the reason for my trip to Blenheim as well as having quality time with old friends.
The Hotel was as usual busy with many guests but this did not alter the attention given by the staff.
My room was as usual impeccable, clean, and so comfy. Being a woman on my own the other consideration when staying away from home is feeling safe and secure. This I certainly do feel when I stay at this Hotel.
The weather over this weekend was very hot but the Hotel itself is kept at a lovely temperature plus they have a gorgeous pool.
I did not try the restaurant but did glance at the menu in the Compendium. If I had not have had meals arranged with friends elsewhere I would certainly have tried the food as it read and sounded very good.
Thank you to all here and I look forward to staying with you again if the oppurtunity presents for me to visit Blenheim in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

While uninspiring this place does have certain charms, a nice pool area and bar among them. Our room was very dark looking out onto an overgrown inner courtyard which made for a depressing feel. Bathrooms were good. Breakfasts were good-ish and served by a delightful lady but the dinner we had was pretty poor - dreadful, cold onion soup and a shrimp cocktail which used the nastiest type of frozen prawns. Even the waitress was embarrassed as we had asked if the prawns were fresh and she had checked with the kitchen before we ordered. The steak main course was not as described on the menu. Wouldn't go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
keepawake, Owner at Quality Hotel Marlborough, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.Im sorry that the courtyard garden had not been trimmed before your stay,our gardner had it on his list to do before he broke his leg but we are pleased to say it was done last week and now looks fabulous.
I am very sorry you did not enjoy your meal in the restaurant,in fact we are so confident of our standards that we offer a full refund if not completey happy.We have changed our menu recently so we can concentrate on a menu featuring fresh local produce.I would be gratefull if you could contact me so we can show you that we truly believe in customer service.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My partner and I had an awesome stay at this hotel during December.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, offering us information on what is available to do in the area, as it was our first time visiting Marlborough.
The food in their Restuarant is top Quality.
The rooms were very clean...my partner always checks for this anywhere we stay.
We would definetily stay here again and will recommend this hotel to our friends and family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife booked this hotel over the phone,We got a very pleasant greeting as soon as we walked in,seemed like the staff really enjoy their job.We booked a std room but we got a comp upgrade to a superior,neat.The room was very clean (my wife looks for this)and had a massive bed.The staff here are helpfull and the manager even kindly gave me a lift to the airport to pick up our rental car.This is the first review I have writen on tripadvisor but felt I needed too so I can tell people how great our stay was.we didnt eat breakfast here so dont know much about that,but can recommend theopen chicken burger which we both had at the bar while talking to the bar manager.

Room Tip: go for the superior rooms they are larger
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We were greeted by friendly staff, who seemed genuinely happy to have us stay at the hotel. Front desk staffer offered to help us figure out the best way to get to a not-so-close restaurant, which was much appreciated. Rooms are clean and have all the amenities one might need. Bathroom enormous! Location within a few minutes walk to town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for one night, and used their function room facilities.

We had a very friendly welcome, and comfortable large rooms. Bathroom was probably twice the size of my bathroom at home! Restaurant food was very tasty, and despite our rather late arrival, the restaurant staff didn't try to rush us through our meal (which happens really often, obviously these guys are well trained).

The function room was large and cool, which was a must for a December day in Blenheim. Everything worked well as it should.

Would not hesitate to stay here again, it seems like a really friendly and well run family operation. Should I need function rooms in Blenheim again, similarly, I would be happy to return.

They also have a very cute wee dog, Lilly, who makes the place her own!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Booked at this hotel and got a confimation email with the correct details. 3 days before we were due to stay there, I got another email with totally incorrect details. Rang to check and should have listened to the warning signals. Got there and the rooms were fine but oh, the service. Asked for brochures about the wineries in the area - apparently they have NO brochures but the man at the counter has all the information in his head! Not much use for spreading out on the bed and sorting thru though. And I noticed they had 32 (yes, I counted) books on Quality Hotels. Could I suggest a few less of them and some more on what the area is famous for? And FlyBuys are mentioned on their sign but we had to ask for them - they weren't offered. We were actively discouraged from using the dining room to the extent that we were given a toaster to take to our room. The people running this hotel need to decide if they are actually suited to hotel work. Our rubbish bins had no plastic bags in them and they weren't emptied. When we asked about this we were told, I only do beds, I don't do bins. Obviously, but not much help.
They seem to be operating on minimal staffing levels and it shows. I very much doubt I would stay here again - there are just so many better options.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
keepawake, Owner at Quality Hotel Marlborough, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel.I am very sorry that your stay was not up to standard.First of all we are very happy to offer Fly buys with all stays,we have now placed a message at reception asking our guests to please present their flybuys,so hopefully that will fix that.We do stock maps of the wineries here but unfortunately we ran out of these the day before your arrival and got them the next Monday.There seems to be a communication issue regarding the toaster, Your traveling companions on arrival asked us if we could provide a toaster for their room as they had special dietary requirements and could not eat in our restaurant.I am sorry you had the impression that we discourage guests eating in our restaurant as we actively encourage guests to dine in as this is a major income stream for the hotel.
Lastly I have sent you a private email saying how we intend to make things right,this is important to us.