“Family meal”

de Burgh's Bistro @ Hotel d'Urville
Ranked #22 of 118 Restaurants in Blenheim
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: de Burgh's Bistro at Hotel d'Urville has an excellent reputation for serving great food made with local produces and featuring the best of Marlborough wines on their extensive wine list.
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I was very disappointed by the whole experience of this restaurant. It was overpriced, the portions were very small indeed, there were very few vegetarian options and to cap it all, the service was less than I would expect for a so-called top restaurant. I would definitely not recommend it.

DurvilleManager, Owner at de Burgh's Bistro @ Hotel d'Urville, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Please note this reviewer visited 10 months ago and has only just now joined Trip Advisor and filed only this review. This year there have been changes in ownership structure, management, chef and restaurant style. It is therefore not a fair assessment of the current seafood specialist restaurant.

Tony Lawrence

There are newer reviews for de Burgh's Bistro @ Hotel d'Urville

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Finz restaurant was beautiful and the staff friendly and attentive. The food was a major let down. Panko crumbed fish bites were dry and under seasoned as was the remoulade. My husband ordered the steak for main which although looked nicely cooked was tough and chewy with no sauce-who does that! My salmon was tasteless, no seasoning. No pepper & salt on the table either. Does the chef have a totally bland palate? Desserts were OK. I would not go back here again as I could cook the same food better.

1  Thank Julie D
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I ate at the Finz restaurant here and it was phenomenal!! The food is mouth watering.
The waiter Mike was very friendly and made sure I had everything I needed. He let me try 3 wines to help make my decision and provided some background on the wines.
I had the Trinity Hill 2012 Syrah which was stunning.
The main course was incredible! I couldn't decide as every option looked great.
I chose the waiter's recommendation which was the Crispy Skinned Blue Nose Code, with Cloudy Bay clams, red rice risotto and salad. The taste was oozing out of the fish, and the flavours were an explosion in your mouth. I was ooeing and ahhing after each mouth full.
Everything was so fresh and for $31 it was a great portion size.

Then I chose the Tiramisu for desert, which was fantastic and based with Rum! - makes you weak at the knees!
A must visit!!!

Reviewed July 6, 2014

I booked a table for two on a Saturday evening at 6.30 pm as a treat for my wife. We expected the D'urville to be 5 star but were sadly disappointed. We arrived on time and was shown to our table. We decided not to have a starter, just a main and dessert. I ordered the Ribeye steak, medium rare and my wife decided on the Salmon stuffed with a scallop mousse. Our mains were served after a 70 minute wait which was unacceptably excessive seeing that there were only 3 other couples in the restaurant. My steak was served medium to well done with a small portion of fries and a bit of bland salad on the side. The steak was tough, chewy and over cooked. My wife's salmon was bland and the scallop stuffing was not a mousse and was indedible. My wine glass had a chip in the rim. The menu said there was a choice of fries or potatoes with the steak but I was not given a choice. I was not offered black pepper and the waiter did not ask how our meal was while we were eating the main. Our plates were cleared and we asked for the dessert menu, the waiter came back to take our order and finally asked how our mains were were I explained my disappointment. He seemed very surprised and went on the defensive. He did offer a free dessert. We eat out on a regular basis in Blenheim and this is the first time ever that I have had to complain about a meal. We will not go back and would not recommend to any one because of the poor food and service. The other reviews seem to be similar. I would give 5stars for Chas, the young waiter who was friendly and chatty with a lovely personality and smile.

2  Thank yamondakawazuki
Reviewed June 21, 2014

If you haven't eaten a D'Urville for a while you should give it a go. But be prepared for a lot of change. A completltly new concept and menu awaits you. They have gone for a predominantly seafood and fish menu, supported with meat for those who need their iron.

Firstly the staff were great, friendly and helpful, and well informed. I thought the menu was a little busy, it wouldn't loose anything having just a few less options. Food was well presented but not elegant. Personally I don't think a good piece of fish or venison needs to be wrapped in bacon.

It was good enough to say I will go back. But not good enough to take a food photo.

2  Thank Philip M