“Superb dinner!”

de Burgh's Bistro @ Hotel d'Urville
Ranked #22 of 118 Restaurants in Blenheim
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: de Burgh's Bistro at Hotel d'Urville has an excellent reputation for serving great food made with local produces and featuring the best of Marlborough wines on their extensive wine list.
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I dined here while staying two nghts in the hotel. The service was good- a bit cool and professional but very pleasant. We received an excellent wine recommendation. They have a very nice wine list with lots of local wine offerings. We ended up settling on a slightly heavier pinot noir from central Otago.

The ambiance was excellent. It is small enough to feel intimate and cozy but they don't pile you on top of each other so it didn't feel crowded. The dinner with my husband felt special and romantic.

The food was excellent. We tried 3 appetizers including the scallops, the venison carpaccio, and the fois fras. The scallops and venison were absolutely lovely. The fois gras did not stand out and I've had far better nearly every where else I've tried it-I would recommend skipping this dish. As for dinner, I had the Filet with the truffled mashed potato- beautiful! I have to say, that the meat portion was quite larger than I am accustomed to for filet mignon at home. It was essentially two portions (pieces) and my husband snagged my second filet which he also enjoyed. My husband had the lamb for his main course and found it excellent. Finally, we tried the soft-in-the-middle chocolate fondant cake and we were not disappointed (only stuffed full ;)). I'm glad we didn't skip dessert!

2  Thank DLK26
There are newer reviews for de Burgh's Bistro @ Hotel d'Urville

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We celebrated my wife's birthday here and the staff we absolutely great as was the meal. We had heard from lots of people that we should go to this restaurant and I was a little concerned that perhaps it would not meet expectations, well that was soon put to bed. The menu is very comprehensive and should appeal to most people. The wine list is mainly local but has a selection of wines from outside the region. It is good value and well worth eating at.

1  Thank paulcardio
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were very fortunate to be guests at the Hotel last weekend while attending the Dog Pint Vinery Classic Picnic so we decided to take advantage of the beautiful Restaurant attached to the Hotel on the Friday evening. The service was good but the food was superb. Marie Connolly should be proud of her Restaurant. Seasonal and local food cooked to perfection. The breakfasts that were served as part of the room rate were also very good.

3  Thank Robyn006
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We have just returned from 2 months of touring throughout New Zealand and our experience in this restaurant was the poorest of the lot. As briefly as possible, we called in personally to book a table (with a male person) for the evening concerned; were driven to the restaurant by our B & B host who was also returning in due course to take us back to B & B (so that no problem with driving and enjoying some wine); told on arrival (by female person) that there was no booking and that they were full that evening (but booking found for the following evening by which time we were pre-booked to have left Blenheim); lady concerned said she would try to fit us in and in the meantime we could wait in the bar; since we had no transport we chose to wait and wait and then bought bottle of wine since we were advised that a table would be forthcoming as soon as possible; duly shown to table; had dinner (which to be fair in any other circumsatnces would be described as "good"); at end of evening paid account and asked by lady if we wished to cancel the booking for the following evening! We advised our B & B hosts what had happened and the next morning our hostess called the restaurant to seek an explanation and, in summary, it appears from the manager/owner's point of view that it was a privelege for us to be able to dine there at all and we should be thankful! Not one word of apology

1  Thank Ian J
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We went there with my brother and sister in law who live in Blenheim. My husband and I both had the scallop entree which was the best we've had for a long time. I had the rack of lamb and my husband had the pork belly ..both very good. Service was exceptional. Expensive but great for a special occasion.